1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good deal on this 2004 Prerunner?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by AM99, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Jul 6, 2020 at 10:44 AM
    AM99

AM99 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double cab Tacoma
    It’s a 2004 Prerunner with 127,000 miles. Looks very clean. Interior in great shape. Water pump and timing belt recently done. New tires. Guy is asking $12,000.

EDIT- it’s a 3.4 v6 automatic transmission

467BC124-7F53-4666-8640-9F3AF4D16F7C.jpg

2. Jul 6, 2020 at 10:45 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Unknown Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Monrovia, CA
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtracab
    Make sure there's no frame rust, happens a lot on these trucks esp if you live in a vulnerable area for it.

If the frame checks out then I say it sounds like a solid deal, for my area at least (CA)

3. Jul 6, 2020 at 10:46 AM
    AM99

AM99 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double cab Tacoma
    im in south ga and this truck is located in Alabama. He says no rust at all but I haven’t seen for myself yet. I would definitely be sure

4. Jul 6, 2020 at 11:07 AM
    Kevins60

Kevins60 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Odessa FL
    Vehicle:
    ‘04 4cyl SR5 AT Pre-runner Garage Queen
    Aftermarket Cruise Westin step bars Lund tonneau Jensen HU
    Pictures can be deceiving, God knows I spent over a year going all over central Florida looking at Tacoma’s that looked fine in photos but were shit piles when seen in person. $12K sounds a little high to me. I bought my box-stock garage-kept ‘04 4-cyl PreRunner last year with 91K on the clock for $7500. On the other hand the demand for clean 1st gens is crazy and I will bet if you don’t pay it someone else will. If at all possible go with a big wad of cash and if the truck checks out offer $10k cash (or whatever you’re comfortable with) on the spot. People have a hard time walking away from a cash deal especially since the next guy to look at the truck will want to swap his bass boat for it and the previous guy wanted to pay in goat hides or some stupid shit.

Currygoat and GQ7227 like this.
  5. Jul 6, 2020 at 11:10 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Unknown Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Monrovia, CA
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtracab
    Here in CA a relatively low mileage 127k TRD Prerunner with the v6 would fetch $12k easily but the prices are higher out west.

Make sure it's a real TRD version, sometimes people put the bedside stickers on and try to pass them off as TRD when they're not. The main thing that makes TRD more valuable is the rear diff locker, should have a button for it to the left of the steering wheel. Can also see the actuator for it on the front/side of the rear diff.

Ask the seller for pics of the underside, particularly the frame. If they don't send you clear pictures or avoid sending frame pics then I would let it go. But you really should see it in person to know for sure. People do all sorts of things to try and hide rust that make it look good in photos.

6. Jul 6, 2020 at 11:48 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    People have certainly paid more than that for less. Then there are the folks who will no doubt chime in saying they wouldn't pay a dime over $7000 for it.

As I always seem to say, vehicles are only worth what someone is willing, and able to pay for it. Doesn't really matter what some guy in rural Idaho says he'd pay...

I would say that $12k seems fairly reasonable, maybe a little high since it's a pre-runner. But as long as the frame is in really good condition, I'd say it's worth it, especially if you have your eye specifically on a 1st gen. Certainly negotiate with the seller, and get those pics of the frame. If there's a bunch of goopy crap on it (undercoating), that should be a warning sign. Look for other signs of rust, too. If you go look at it in person, bring a hammer with you so you can tap around on the frame and listen for the dull thud of frame cancer.

Given the issues with frame rust (in certain areas), if you're looking for a 4x4, they are hard to find in good condition, so a lot of folks end up looking at pre-runners and converting them to 4x4's (a relatively easy process).

7. Jul 6, 2020 at 12:31 PM
    PennSilverTaco

PennSilverTaco Encyclopedia of useless information...

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug slug
    My friend has literally the exact same truck (including the year), except it’s a 4x4/5-speed; 143K mikes and Blue Books at just under $7K; I’d say it’s worth more like $9K...

8. Jul 6, 2020 at 2:09 PM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Just make sure to know for sure where the Truck grew up sometimes those early years can be rough.

I can`t comment on price far to regional 2 wd Auto has no appeal to me .

Products Discussed in

To Top