1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good experiences with Rock Auto?

Discussion in 'RockAuto' started by Archaic2021, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Feb 21, 2022 at 10:42 AM
    Archaic2021

Archaic2021 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Any good experiences...Needing a new front upper control arm for my 97 silverado...most places want 150 with the ball joint...Rock auto is 45 bucks lol.

six5crèéd likes this.
  2. Feb 21, 2022 at 10:45 AM
    six5crèéd

six5crèéd Go fish.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce, or Crèéd, neither is correct.
    Southern Virginia
  3. Feb 21, 2022 at 5:13 PM
    rleete

rleete Grumpy old man - get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Base DC, SR5, TRD Sport
    Billet grill
    I've ordered hundreds, if not thousands of $ worth of parts over the years. Never a problem with them, ever.

wrightme43 and ChainsawCharlie like this.
  4. Feb 21, 2022 at 6:52 PM
    ChainsawCharlie

ChainsawCharlie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    New Hamster
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    3 Cans of Plasti Dip, Rain-X 2 in 1 all season wiper fluid, "SAWDUST IS MAN GLITTER" sticker, Mobtown rear bumper, Pioneer AVH 2440NEX
    [​IMG]
    What he said. Plus their shipping is usually wicked fast.

wrightme43 likes this.
  5. Feb 22, 2022 at 4:44 AM
    hfjeff

hfjeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frozen Tundra
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Off Road
    I have also used them many times primarily for brakes-rotors, drums, pads, shoes. I found if you can order items from the same warehouse shipping is combined and much cheaper. If you order items and they are shipping from different warehouses, they charge individual shipping from each and it adds up. Nice thing is when you put stuff in your shopping cart it will tell you what warehouse it is coming from and you can adjust the items before checkout. They are based out of Madison, WI.

6. May 3, 2022 at 4:50 PM
    igoldin74

igoldin74 Member

Member:
    Love ‘em!

7. May 3, 2022 at 4:53 PM
    Stuck Sucks

Stuck Sucks Aerodynamic styling with functional design

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    The North American Plate
    Zero issues, fast shipping.

8. Jun 19, 2022 at 1:18 PM
    Rath89

Rath89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD OffRoad
    Headache Rack, Front Tow Hitch, CB, 4ft Alum Tool Box.
    Have used them for years now only problem is the wait time a couple days to a week or so, but if you can walk to work its not that bad.

9. Aug 6, 2022 at 5:20 AM
    DingleTower

DingleTower My truck is like yer truck

Member:
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    Pro MT - Lunar Rock
    The only issue I've had is when I ordered a bunch of suspension parts and they came in the flimsiest cardboard box that barely held up. I'm not sure how the mail man even got it to my front step.

Other than that they're fast and cheap. Even to Canada.

10. Aug 6, 2022 at 5:53 AM
    wrightme43

wrightme43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Scottsville Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    17 Double Cab M/T TRD Offroad Blazing Blue Pearl
    Redline custom leather shift and e-brake boot. VFTUNE Super Full Otto cycle, octane learning, premium fuel.
    Always exactly what I want for less. We have the whole first aid cabinet covered in the magnets they send at work.

11. Sep 6, 2022 at 4:39 PM
    Finanz

Finanz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sierra
    Vehicle:
    2021 Pro MGM
    I've had good luck with them

12. Jan 3, 2023 at 11:56 AM
    Rexfordian13

Rexfordian13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Albany/NY Capital District
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB MT
    Rock Auto has been nothing but a shit show for me. Billing is always f'd up, and their complete and intentional lack of customer service means there is nothing to do to fix my issues with them but shop somewhere else. I'm not usually one to walk around with a flamethrower on "Roast" but RockAuto sucks. They are cheap because they have no physical customer service, meaning no phone # (other than corp HQ). Shame on me for trying to order from them again. Oh, and their adds make me want to smash my TV.
    Rant over, moving on to any other auto parts supplier...

lbhsbz and DAB2020 like this.
  13. May 1, 2023 at 8:57 PM
    rocknbil

rocknbil Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2003 Taco Ext Cab DLX TRD 4WD MT 3.4L
    Well I should chip in seeing as how I've spend thousands with them for at least a decade. Short story: just don't screw up.

Normally even if you get the wrong part, they have a system in place for returns that uses their shipping account and deducts from the refund. the site is really 90's technology and often difficult to navigate, but do-able.

My last order, I screwed up. Such a little thing. I transposed my house numbers, for example if I'm at 2357 I entered 3257. As someone in the field I know you can use the USPS/Fedex/UPS API to spit back "invalid address" but they don't have that implemented. I had no clue until I checked the tracking on delivery day and said it was being returned, invalid address. I'm like "WTF" and sure enough, I mucked it up.

So I went to their orders page and tried to mark them all for return. It instructs you to place another order, so I did - even though they had DOUBLED the price on one of the items. It gets better.

One of those items actually got returned by the shipper. They dinged me for return shipping, which seems shady - most USPS returns don't get charged but this was Fedex.

Next day all the other items were delivered even with the WRONG HOUSE ADDRESS. So I went to the order page again, and some of the items it wouldn't allow me to mark for return properly. This is important because their parts ship from different warehouses. These items returned an error message "this return can no longer be modified." So, thanks to shitty programming, I couldn't enter the tracking number or get the return address for Warehouse A. I had no choice but to send all the items in a single box. I included a note hoping this would resolve it. Nope.

Of course, this created problems. Now they said they'd ship them to the right warehouse and ding me for shipping on that too. But it was their hosed up web site that wouldn't allow me to process the other returns properly.

As a programmer I'd fire myself if the site had this many defects, but oh well, whatchagonnado, I could take this to the bank and dispute the charges, file complaints, go to the BBB and create a big stink but it's just not worth it for anyone involved. After all, I did screw up the address on the original order.

Just don't screw up when you place an order and you'll be fine.

Rexfordian13 likes this.
To Top