1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good news, bad news (wheel bearing)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Raylo, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Dec 16, 2011 at 4:51 AM
    Raylo

Raylo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Good news: Last payment on my 0% Toyota loan for my 2009 Sport AC sent in Dec 1st, so IT'S PAID FOR! Yay!

Bad news: Bumper to bumper warranty is up and I have a woo woo woo sound that is audible from about 30 mph and increases in loudness and frequency to its worst at 60 mph or so. Sounds like a wheel bearing. I have read (and saved) several of the threads on this all too common issue so the repair doesn't look that difficult.

But how to determine which bearing is going? Anyone have a sure way besides waiting for the wheel to fall off? BTW, I haven't had to replace a wheel bearing on a vehicle since I did it on a 1978 Firebird that had 100k miles. Now I have such an issue on a Toyota with 27k miles? That's just not right.

2. Dec 16, 2011 at 5:01 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    The last time I heard a woo woo woo sound it was because someone's tires were not rotated. They were bald on the inside.

I thought worn wheel bearing sound more like being on a BART train (electric transit). Like being in a coasting commute train.

3. Dec 16, 2011 at 5:11 AM
    berg2065

berg2065 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    11 reg cab 4x4
    5100's set at .85,eibachs, LR uca's, toytec 1.5" aal, ride rite bags, receiver hitch, ARE cap with bedrug, Thule rack, wet-okole cover, ultragauge, kenwood dnx5180 navi/receiver, ss rubi404 running factory doors and JL8
    have you tried the switching to 4wd trick to see if the noise goes away?

If it does...is probably the driver side needle bearing in the front diff.

and congrats on paying off your truck..that is a great feeling

4. Dec 16, 2011 at 5:26 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    4wd makes no difference. Tires are fine but I may try rotating them to see if it makes a difference before tearing into any bearings.

5. Dec 16, 2011 at 5:45 AM
    Alby9999

Alby9999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alby
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    07 AC TRD OR Impulse Red
    TRD Cat back exhaust 3" FR lift-AAL CAI-Ram air D rings Tail gate theft mod 4x4 illumination switch mod Redline hood struts Fogs on any time mod diff breather relocation mod 886 reverse light mod Wet Okole Avid weld on sliders LR UCAs Locker mod 115 in cab outlet 400w anytime

Mine goes away when switch into 4WD. Is that the bearing that causes the noise? How big of a job is it to change the needle bearing? Is something that should be correct immediately or can I wait for awhile? What is the air velocity of a laden sparrow? How many questions can I ask? Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.

BTW OP congrats

6. Dec 16, 2011 at 6:03 AM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    when my wheel bearings went out in the front, it was a slight hum and vibration. it really sounded like an out of balance tire. hard sound to describe. mine went out at around 75K if i remember correctly. i tried to do it myself, but most of my parts wouldnt break loose so i called it quits at the end of a few hours. i had a local mechanic do it, i think he charged me around 300 ( i already had the bearings)

jack up the front of your truck and see if there is any play in the wheel pushing the top of the tire in towards the motor or the bottom in towards the motor. or, when it is jacked up rotate the wheel with your hand on the coil spring. if you feel a vibration its a good sign the bearing is going.

7. Dec 16, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    Your description sounds a lot like what I am hearing. Yes, I will jack it up and spin/push on the wheels. Would have done that already except I don't need to jack the truck for oil changes.

Products Discussed in

To Top