1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good Trail in the Salt Lake City area?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Ahitaco, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Nov 11, 2010 at 2:52 PM
    Ahitaco

Ahitaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    05' 4x4
    I have had my trcuk for 3 years now and I have only been off road a few times and really it was nothing to special mostly dirt roads to get out and shoot the shot gun. But after seeing some of the pictures that are on here I realize i am not using my Tacoma to its full potential. I would like to find a fun trail in the salt lake area that i could go explore this weekend. Any Idea??

2. Nov 11, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    TRDSPORTtaco

TRDSPORTtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. George UT
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    Lift and Wheels
    Yeah, come down to St. George. Or meet me in Moab while I visit my wife's family.

3. Nov 11, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    Timber

Timber Crankey Old Yacht Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Pedro Bay Ports
    just a couple comfort items.
    Lots of stuff to see out west of the lake, going towards the Newfoundland mountains. There is the old rail bed, some cool caves (one big enough to park a couple rigs in and camp), Bonneville salt, Mines, Old cars and trucks up in forgotten canyons. Lots to do up there ! I wish I had more time to check out more of that whole area. Maybe next year ?

4. Nov 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    Heavy stuff big tires drives like hell
    By now, most of the fun trails in the Salt Lake area will be impassible/closed due to snow. Your best bet is heading down to Moab, if you want some real trails. There is a big difference between a rough dirt road (the average TW definition of "trail"), and a fun/challenging trail, with obstacles and some thought required.

You would be amazed what your Taco can do, even stock.

5. Feb 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    MonTaco

MonTaco Beard Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    13 DBL Cab LB TRD Sport
    How do you get out to the Newfoundland Mountains? I was interested in exploring out there and not sure how to get there or if it's military restricted area or not.

6. Feb 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    Getting to the Newfoundlands will require passing through the bombing range. Just gotta hope their not doing drills and the gate is open. If the gate is open you can get there.

As for other trails around SLC, a lot are going to be snow covered right now and difficult. Our local Toyota club (Wasatch Cruisers) drove the Pony Express trail last weekend. Started out near Simpson Springs and went all the way to Wendover.

Next weekend is our annual Sand Dunes trip to Little Sahara. There is usually a different run every month. You can find out more about the club at Wasatchcruisers.org.

This time of year you need to head south to get away from the snow. Moab or San Rafael Swell are good options but will still have some snow.

There are a couple other short trails closer to SLC, like Ward Canyon in Bountiful. Your best bet is to get this book.
    [​IMG]

It doesn't have the more difficult stuff, but it doesn't sound like you're after those trails yet. But this is a great book with lots of trails all over the state with full GPS coordinates and directions. It has great descriptions and information about the trails too.

Products Discussed in

To Top