1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

good websites/companies for 2nd gen tacoma aftermarket parts?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TRDtacoma, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Jul 21, 2007 at 6:31 PM
    TRDtacoma

TRDtacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    hello,
    my parents have owned two tacomas, and i have absolutely loved both of them. so I am seriously considering buying a new generation stick shift tacoma extended cab. I would definitely drop at least a few thousand dollars in mods, so i wanted to ask how big the market for aftermarket parts is for the new generation tacomas? What professional websites that offer aftermarket tacoma parts would you recommend?

Here is a quick list of some of the things i want to do:
    brush guard/winch for sure
    running boards
    exhaust
    2" or 3" lift (maybe)
    OE hood scoop
    OE body-color front grille

since I would buy the TRD off-road package, i would not get some of the goodies that are included in the TRD sport package..i am guessing it would not be hard to find OEM body-color grilles and hood scoops for it that are only available in the TRD sport package?

thanks alot

2. Jul 21, 2007 at 9:34 PM
    TJOPILOT

TJOPILOT Well-Known Member

Member:
    The first 2 on your list are aftermarket cheapies. Buy the TRD Sport for the last two (scoop and color matched grill) and Toytec.com has the best and most affordable lift on the market. $300 for the kit and I paid $300 for the install. Welcome and good luck! Tom.

TACOMAwithHOODSCOOP008_1c41bcdc83b0a6435bbe37133293dbcae11dddbf.jpg

3. Jul 22, 2007 at 7:33 AM
    stratton

stratton Well-Known Member

Member:
    your lift is what i am looking for. Now with that 3" lift do you think you will need to replace a bunch of parts every few years. I've heard a lot on this site that a lift will create a bunch of extra wear and tear. If so, is it expensive seeing how the warranty will not cover those parts because its the lifts fault?
    And what is your tire size. i still have factory tires and rims. the first thing i want to do is get some bf goodrich all terrains like i had on my last tacoma. but i am affraid that if i get the tires now they will look to small once i get a lift a year or two down the road. and if i get bigger wheels they will just rub on the fenders till i lift it. can you post a reply with the demonsions of your wheels and tires and if the wheels where factory when you bought it? thanks

bill

4. Jul 22, 2007 at 10:56 AM
    TJOPILOT

Member:
    Ok, I've been running the 265/75/16 BFG all terrains since right after I bought it. The Toytec kit is literally just 2 heavier duty spring and 2 extra leaf springs. Very basic. I have not seen any wear and tear. You can run those tires with and without the lift. I've had no rubbing either way. I am upgrading to 285/75/16s soon. Then I will have to do some cutting in the wheelwells. I swear by the BFGs. Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

5. Jul 22, 2007 at 12:29 PM
    TRDtacoma

TRDtacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    thanks Tom, that lift really looks great on your truck. As far as the TRD sport package, I would much rather have the TRD off-road package, because that's what my parents have on theirs and I love it. I want the 4x4 and the off-road tuned suspension, because the truck will be doing some off-roading no doubt. It's just that I love some of the exterior accents on the TRD sport versions (hood scoop and body-color grille). My question was if there was a way to purchase these items separately from a aftermarket company or something like that?, because I don't want to sacrifice the TRD off-road package for a couple of exterior parts.

thanks again

6. Jul 22, 2007 at 12:45 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    the only difference besides the cosmetic ones are the wheel/tire size, an engine skid plate, and the LSD versus the locker. the skid plate is an easy buy...the wheel/tires arent a big deal since most people who avidly 4x4 buy different ones...so the question is, is the locker the deal breaker for u. depending on the color of ur vehicle, the hood/bumper/grille would have to be painted to match, on top of buying them aftermarket or from the dealer. so would u rather pay out the ass for the body stuff that u want and have the locker or have all the body stuff and have the LSD?

7. Jul 22, 2007 at 12:48 PM
    TJOPILOT

Member:
    Hey TRD, there are a bunch of sites on here where you can try and swap guys for bumpers and other things(CustomTacos.com, ToyotaNation.com and TTORA.com). They all have a for sale section in their forums. Its a bitch to find anyone to swap hoods with for the scoop. You can buy the door handles for about $60 from TRDparts4u.com. The hood is about $500 to buy painted I think. The front color matched grill is about $175. The rear bumper is your best chance to swap someone for. I really thought that the TRD offroad and sport 4x4 were really alike minus the rear diff lock. They should both have the same TRD billstein shocks. Oh and the 17" rims on the sport are different. You can always pick them up used cheap. It seems like everyone changes out rims and sells their old alloys. Hope this helps. Check the other sites too. TN and CT have a lot of knowledgable guys over there. Shit, I'm still a rookie compared to guys like Toku and Pb. Take a look.

8. Jul 22, 2007 at 12:49 PM
    TJOPILOT

Member:
    Yeah, what hodge said!

9. Jul 24, 2007 at 10:18 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    You can replace the color matched grill for about $200, and i believe the good is around $400 to $450. I got the off-road for the same reason you did TRDtacoma, but i liked the matched grill and hoodscoop on the sport. In the end i decided i cared more about the functionality than the looks. I also like the off-road rims alot better than the sport rims. Fortunately, i work with a guy who has my identical truck except its a sport version. We traded grills since he like chrome and i hate it. So now i just need to find someone who wants to trade hoods.... But in my opinion, go for the one that meets your needs and worry about asthetics later. If you want the off-road, dont get the sport just for the hood and girlle

Products Discussed in

To Top