1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Goodyear Wrangler Radial Tires cheap for a reason?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by geodude, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Sep 10, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    geodude

geodude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Every retailer from Amazon to Walmart seems to be selling these Goodyear Wrangler Radial Tires for $80 or less.

I was about to spring for some Firestone Destination A/T tires, but at this price I'm more inclined to sacrifice some off-road ability and go with the Goodyears.

They look to be a quality All Season, if not a low range All Terrain tire. Has anyone tried these out or heard anything firsthand?

Here's a link http://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-Wran...?ie=UTF8&qid=1378863481&sr=8-1&keywords=tires

2. Sep 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen J
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    -Bilstein 5100/ Eibach 3" lift -Custom 2" lift rear leaf pack -Crystal clear headlight housings -updated (01-04) rear tail lights -custom front tube bumper -custom rear tube bumper -Deckplate mod -Kenwood Headunit -Pioneer Speakers -black door handles -Debadged, rebadged black -Ultraguage
    I had them on my 90 Runner. They're pretty mediocre. With these you definitely get what you paid for but if you don't do a lot of off roading then you should be okay

3. Sep 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Central Scrutinizer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Aim-ish country PA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD 6spd
    FM 10 series, K&N 63 series intake, 5100's at 2.5, TSB springs, Connex 3300HP,Fat Boy 2 pill, Wilson 1000, Dual ammo cans, Cue ball shifter, color matched bumper, Homeroshi grill, car seat mod, Hella triple tone air horns, AVS vent visors, Debadged, Deflapped, Custom painted eyelids and third brake light, Custom radio antenna , Rugged Cover, Husky mats, yellow fogs, Warn shackle, 265/75 16 Trail Diggers, American Racing wheels, Rugged T bedside decals, Ultra Gauge, too much homemade stuff to list.
    No firsthand experience, but I've seen these a lot on Jeeps. They are an old design and a cheap tire. I wouldn't expect too much performance or mileage out of them.

4. Sep 10, 2013 at 7:32 PM
    geodude

geodude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So it seems to be another case of you get what you pay for. Looks like I'll stick with the Firestones. Tires are something I don't mind spending a little extra on for quality sake.

Thank you for the responses

5. Sep 10, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Say no to Bro

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 DCSB SR5 4x4
    It's got LSD man.....
    Hankook Dyna Pro AT/m ftw for cost effective all terrain

6. Sep 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM
    TXCotton

TXCotton Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cotton
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    '13 Nautical Blue TRD Off Road
    My 2008 Jeep Wrangler came with these stock and they were awful. Wandered on the road at highway speeds and were nearly worn down after 10K miles. I had them rebalanced multiple times from a shop I've used for over a decade.

I finally replaced them with Firestone Destination M/Ts and it was night and day different, even considering I went to a mud terrain tire. The Jeep was instantly drivable above 65mph again, didn't wander, was quieter, and didn't skip around in the rain like it did with the Goodyears! I'd say do what your wallet requires, but my experience was that they didn't last long and had terrible handling.

7. Sep 12, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 King illegal forest to pig wild kill in it a is!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma SR5 4x4 (Aggie)
    Deliberately Stock Daily Driver
    They're a decent cheap tire.
    Goodyear's been making them forever, so the molds are paid for. They sell a squillion of them, so they can sell them for cheap (kind of like McD's hamburgers) and still turn a profit on them.
    Don't expect them to be great at anything, but they're not a bad little tire for the money. I had them on a '96 Danger Ranger (4.0L ext cab 4x4) and got about 30K commuter miles out of them. But, if it snowed at all, I needed 4x4 to get up my hill.

To Top