1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 Subie STI rebuild

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by xtremewlr, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Aug 6, 2021 at 8:51 PM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    4th gen T4R with a few mods
    As of 3/4/23:

[​IMG]

8/6/21:
    Picked up this 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi August 3rd. Plan is to make this my daily driver. So, I'm starting off with making it as reliable as possible, removing the yellow tint, new wheels and tires and new coil overs. Wheels, tires and coilovers are on order and a few weeks out.

The car has sat, unchanged, since 2016 when the PO passed away. I bought it off his widow as she decided it was time to let it go. Mods on the car are mostly from 2012 as far as I can tell, including the last time it was actually tuned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior is in good shape, just needs a good cleaning, which I have already started doing. And my upholstery cleaner came in today as well.

I forgot to take my own pics of the seats, so these are from the CL ad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 of the gauges in the pod aren't working right. I took a look and am going to have to fix some wiring on them. Mileage is now at around 109,120 since I had to drive it from Phoenix to Tucson. Car ran great, didn't get hot, even in stop and go traffic for a few miles in Phoenix with the a/c blasting. Really, I was more worried about the tires making the trip than anything else.

[​IMG]

As you can see, they are current old winter tires that have dry cracked from sitting for so long. But the held. As I said before, new wheels, tires and coilovers are on order. I'm not a fan of the cambered look and stretched tires. The ride is shit for one. I don't mind a stiff suspension but this is far too bouncy for me. And I want the flush look with proper camber for street driving with wider tires instead of wheels that are wider than the tires. Current setup are 18x10 with 225/40s stretched on. New setup will be 18x8.5 with 255/35 tires.

The car made the 116 mile trip home and used about 1/2 a tank LESS than my 4Runner. So that will be really nice.

[​IMG]

First thing I did was reinstall the wing that came with the car. It's a WRX wing, so eventually I would like to find the correct STi wing, but this is better than no wing for now. At least it's WR Blue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also removed the fake tow point from the rear.

As for the motor, it's already got a FMIC of unknown brand, same with the IC pipes. There is a Grimm Speed e-boost controller hidden in there and I believe the turbo is still the stock one. Exhaust has a Grimm Speed high flow crossover pipe, up-pipe and a wrapped HKS downpipe. Last tuned in 2012 as far as I can tell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started removing the yellow tint last night and got 2 more windows done after work today. Fortunately, the rear window was not tinted. So, I'll remove the driver door tint tomorrow and will eventually get proper tint done all around. I also plan on having the trunk and hood wrapped in as close to WR Blue as we can find and the roof I was thinking of gloss black. We'll see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Parts have been coming in as well. Killer B oil pan kit, driver valve cover gasket set, IAG AOS, turbo blanket (need to order exhaust gaskets first), spark plugs, phenolic spacers, PS pump hoses since the stock ones are rock hard. At least they aren't leaking yet. Also will be going thru all the vacuum lines and replacing them with silicone lines. I'll probably replace all the couplers and the intake stuff with new parts too. Not a fan of all the red.

That's it for now. Lots of work happening while I wait for wheels, tires and suspension. Not driving it with those old tires unless I have to.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    Biscuits, Yota X, ttaaooaa and 13 others like this.
  2. Aug 6, 2021 at 8:56 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Awesome stuff.

STI's are time bombs but it looks like you'll handle anything it throws at you.

3. Aug 6, 2021 at 8:58 PM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    Yeah, I know what I'm getting myself into with this. It'll be fun. Not gunna go for crazy power, it's pretty damn quick as it is right now. Just need to update what it has to help keep it reliable and running good.

4. Aug 6, 2021 at 9:17 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    God dammit, why wasn't I first :pout:

TacoPacific and xtremewlr[OP] like this.
  5. Aug 6, 2021 at 9:24 PM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    You've got too much shit going on right now as it is! :rofl:

Kwikvette[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Aug 6, 2021 at 9:24 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Buy a daily, swear not to mod it, mod it anyway, mod it too much, always broken, need something stock and reliable but still fun to daily, buy a daily, swear you won't mod it this time, mod it anyways...

No mod goes unpunished!

Nice Scubaru.

Gunshot-6A, MY50cal, FishnTx and 3 others like this.
  7. Aug 6, 2021 at 9:28 PM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    Fortunately, this one came pre-moded. I'm just updating those mods and adding some others for reliability.

Mostly....:facepalm:

8. Aug 6, 2021 at 9:32 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    So you're telling me it's already begun?

:ohsnap:

At least it's not a b.o.a.t. (bring out another thousand.)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    Gunshot-6A likes this.
  9. Aug 6, 2021 at 9:35 PM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    No comment.

Key-Rei[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Aug 6, 2021 at 10:13 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Saw this little beastie the other day FE432DDC-7B4E-4960-BF33-52CDAD648B08.jpg

Sugar Silva, xtremewlr[OP] and b_r_o like this.
  11. Aug 7, 2021 at 12:29 AM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    Pulled the rear seat for a good deep clean. Amazing how nasty those get after 15 years, especially the backrest. It was almost worse that the seat cushion.

This is just s small amount. I emptied the canister 4 times.

[​IMG]

But the rear seat cleaned up really nice. Pulling the front seats tomorrow.

[​IMG]

4x4Taco2012 and Steves104x4 like this.
  12. Aug 7, 2021 at 2:20 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Now I want an STI!

xtremewlr[OP] likes this.
  13. Aug 7, 2021 at 10:04 PM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    Finished cleaning up the seats this morning. So much nasty shit came outta the front seats. The look way better now

[​IMG]

The carpet on the other hand....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to pull the carpet out tomorrow probably and hose it down really good. Dropped the headliner so I could add some sound deadening to the roof. The roof was amazingly tinny sounding. Actually, I was really surprised to see how little soundproofing the car had. Subaru really built the STIs as bare bones as they could, probably realizing that a lot of them would be used as actual rally cars at some point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used Kill mat. It works but is pretty thin, so I had to layer it to really get it to deaden the roof. Only did half at a time since I had to work around the headliner.

[​IMG]

Over the Killmat, I added Noico Red sound and heat insulation. Has made a very noticeable improvement in the sound of the roof now, no more tinny sound.

[​IMG]

Also applied some Killmat to the package shelf in back to help dampen vibrations. Doesn't look like much but it did help deaden it.

[​IMG]

Then it was the front of the roof.

[​IMG]

And done.

[​IMG]

That's it for today.

Biscuits, ColoradoTJ, uurx and 2 others like this.
  14. Aug 8, 2021 at 4:19 AM
    01x4

01x4 I know what I'm doing?

Member:
    Coast of Southeastern VA
    Nice!

15. Aug 8, 2021 at 9:26 PM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    Finished cleaning and installing all the trim for the headliner this morning. Then I stripped out the center console and pulled out the carpet, it was nasty and so was underneath. I've seen worse tho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sprayed it down with fabric cleaner, took a brush to it and then nosed down the carpet extensively in the driveway. Then I found a great use for my Sherpa rack and hung the carpet from that and hosed it down even more.

[​IMG]

Left the carpet hanging like that for several hours to dry while I went back to cleaning and applying sound deadner to the floor.

[​IMG]

Did the inner wheel wells and the rear seat floor. Then reinstalled the rear seat back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carpet was finally dry after hanging in the AZ sun for a few hours. Threw it on the roof until I finish the interior deadening. Looks miles better now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the passenger side floor pan deadened and insulated. I'll work on the driver side after work this week and then reinstall the carpet, the remaining trim and then the seats. Then I can move on to the mechanical stuff.

16. Aug 8, 2021 at 9:29 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    Good shit

Must be nice being in 100° weather where you can leave the seats and carpet out for 5 minutes and they're completely dry :bananadead:

17. Aug 8, 2021 at 9:30 PM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    Great for that but it suck donkey nuts working in it. Even in the garage.

Biscuits and Kwikvette[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Aug 8, 2021 at 9:33 PM
    Puppypunter

Puppypunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR
    Not sure if it would be something you'd be interested in, but I am going to make a harness for the rear turn signals for mine ('07, so I believe its the same taillights). My plan is to replace the turn signal bulb with a switchback amber/white so it will function as a reverse light as well. Not the coolest mod ever I know, but I figure maybe if the wife has more light in reverse, she might stop backing into stuff... It is in the body shop now (see previous comment about backing into stuff), but when I get it back, I'll look into it. If it isn't terribly hard, I'd happily hook you up with one.

xtremewlr[OP] likes this.
  19. Aug 8, 2021 at 9:36 PM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    I appreciate the offer but I'm thinking of actually replacing the tail lights down the road a little with 04-05 tail lights. I think they look much better personally. All bulbs will be replaced with LEDs eventually as well.

Puppypunter[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Aug 8, 2021 at 9:45 PM
    Puppypunter

Puppypunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR
    :thumbsup:

To Top