1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 Subie STI rebuild

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by xtremewlr, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Sep 14, 2021 at 7:40 PM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    4th gen T4R with a few mods
    Cool! I'll start figuring it out then closer to April, maybe shoot for the latter half of the month or something.

2. Sep 14, 2021 at 7:41 PM
    Empty_Lord

Empty_Lord Toyotaholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Northwest Indiana/Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    66 Mercedes, 93 mr2, 95,98,01,02 Tacomas, 05 Tundra + others
    Too many trucks and mods to list.. check builds
    eh just let me know. if it works out cool, if not, well we plan for later. all depends on what life throws at me LOL

xtremewlr[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 18, 2021 at 7:29 PM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    Wrapped the roof today. Took me 2 try's, fortunately, I bought enough wrap for it. First time ever wrapping anything. It ain't perfect but it's good from 10 feet, so I'm happy enough. Vvivvid Premium Plus wrap is a bitch to work with and I was doing it solo, so I think those were the major issues. I'll try some different wrap next time, probably a satin or matte. The gloss black is hard to capture outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Biscuits and ColoradoTJ like this.
  4. Sep 18, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    MGMDesertTaco

MGMDesertTaco Come on, live a little...

Member:
    Just finished reading through this entire thread. Impressive transformation! :thumbsup:

xtremewlr[OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 18, 2021 at 8:01 PM
    CTtoNoVa

CTtoNoVa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Pop N Lock
    I had a Hawkeye for ten years without any problems. Was stage 2 cobb. I miss that thing… enjoy!

6. Sep 19, 2021 at 6:53 PM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    Changed the oil and filter today. Way early at about 1600 miles but after changing the valve cover gasket and all the other work under the hood I've been doing, I figured it was a good time.

Also cleaned the neutral safety switch connector as part of my very slow troubleshooting of the DCCD system. I have the flashing "0" and have codes 33, 29 and 37. Really hoping it doesn't end up being the steering angle sensor. 37 is the neutral position sensor and 29 is the steering angle sensor. Steering wheel is stock and I don't think it's ever been removed even.

While I was doing that, I got a delivery...

[​IMG]

Never even got shipping information, nor did the shop that I bought them thru. Not complaining tho! Been about a month and a half since ordering them. Unfortunately, they arrived early afternoon so I only had the chance to swap out the fronts. I'll do the rear tomorrow after work.

[​IMG]

I did have to run to Ace Hardware to pick up an allen head cap bolt. Ended up grabbing 4 so that they were all the same. One of the front coil overs was missing the screw from it's pre-load lock collar. M6x1.00 thread pitch x16mm long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took it for a quick test drive after the front was done and I checked the ride height. Dropped the front about a 1/4" from the old coil overs. I'll see how it is after the rears are done and adjust the height if I need to later. Even with just the fronts done, the FA500s are a huge improvement over the ISC coil overs in there before. Much smoother ride and less road noise. Super happy with these so far.

These were the old ones. Probably try and sell them, along with the old wheels and hood vent thing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Biscuits and MGMDesertTaco like this.
  7. Sep 22, 2021 at 9:20 AM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    Installed the rear FA500s on Monday after work. Major upgrade over the worn out ISC coil overs in performance, handling and road noise. Road noise has been significantly reduced and the ride is much smoother now. Makes me happy.

And I also found out that I have a FP Red turbo in the car. I had emailed Forced Performance, looking for some help in trying to identify the turbo. I was pretty sure it wasn't stock as I couldn't see any marks of any kind that I saw on stock turbos looking online. There is a red tag, low on the compressor housing, that is extremely difficult to see or get pictures of. I email Forced Performance with the best pictures that I could get and they are pretty certain that the turbo is one of thier FP Reds from around 2012. This means it probably has the cast compressor wheel instead of the newer billet compressor wheels they have now but the turbo ratings are still the same.

So, that means there is still more potential to be had from my current setup. I just need to do some basic fuel upgrades. Right now, the only thing done to the fuel system, that I know of, is a Wahlbro 255 lph fuel pump. Still has the side feed injectors, that I assume are stock. So, top feed swap is in order now, with bigger injectors and a better fuel pump. The motor already has TGV delete, from the records that I do have on the car.

For reference, the car was dynoed at 360 wheel HP and around 333 wheel torque. The turbo is rated for 550-600 hp. So there is room for more power.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  8. Sep 22, 2021 at 9:38 AM
    uurx

uurx Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island, new york
    Vehicle:
    '12 t|x pro
    its very possible those are modded stock injectors if you know the car already put down 360 on the dyno with the fp red
    back around 2005-2012 modding stock injectors was a very common and popular option

9. Sep 22, 2021 at 9:39 AM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    Good info, thanks! Is there some way to tell if they are modded that you know of?

10. Sep 22, 2021 at 9:44 AM
    uurx

uurx Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island, new york
    Vehicle:
    '12 t|x pro
    that i know of no, not without pulling them out

i had modded stock injectors from deatschwerks, if i had to throw out a guess i would bet thats what you have in there, it was a very popular option back in the day

xtremewlr[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. Sep 22, 2021 at 9:47 AM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    Cool, thanks for the info!!

12. Sep 22, 2021 at 9:50 AM
    uurx

uurx Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island, new york
    Vehicle:
    '12 t|x pro
    i am sure if you or whoever tunes the car and or data logs the car would be able to tell also by looking at the injector duty cycle and fuel tables

13. Sep 22, 2021 at 11:22 AM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    Yeah, I need to get a fresh tune for the car still. It was tuned back in 2012 and hasn't been touched since then. It was done opensource from what I can tell, so I don't have a way to do any data logging yet. I bought a Cobb Access Port but after talking to Cobb, I can't install it without loosing the current tune. So I have to have the tuner do it when I take it in for tuning.

uurx[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Sep 22, 2021 at 12:10 PM
    uurx

uurx Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island, new york
    Vehicle:
    '12 t|x pro
    yea my guess it was done with enginuity/romraider and a tactrix cable
    thats what i always did back then, i typically prefer a safe reliable tune then just set it and forget it, so really I never had a need for accessport or ecutek or whatever other expensive option back in the day

15. Sep 22, 2021 at 1:05 PM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    ECU tuning is still pretty much black magic to me right now. I think once I have a fresh tune with the AccessPort installed, I can look into getting AccessTuner and maybe start playing around with things myself and see what I can break. Or look into the other opensource options available today.

I do like that the AccessPort can be left plugged in for monitoring various thing like DAM and feedback knock. Stuff that with opensource, unless you drive around with a laptop all the time, you can't easily monitor in real time.

uurx[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Sep 28, 2021 at 8:23 PM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    Finally got the new OEM grill inserts. No more toothless look! :rofl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Sep 28, 2021 at 10:00 PM
    Empty_Lord

Empty_Lord Toyotaholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Northwest Indiana/Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    66 Mercedes, 93 mr2, 95,98,01,02 Tacomas, 05 Tundra + others
    Too many trucks and mods to list.. check builds
    You need to be productive.

Bring my frames to indiana

18. Sep 29, 2021 at 7:39 AM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    They wont fit in the subie.

19. Oct 2, 2021 at 7:20 PM
    xtremewlr

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited
    Some small things completed today but it's progress.

Got the driver side front wheel well liner installed. No more worrying about the wiring under the fender. No pics, pretty much a mirror image of the passenger side I already posted.

I rearranged the IC pipes to that what was the hot side is now the cool side and vice-versa. This puts the BOV right in front of the throttle body instead of right after the turbo in the previous orientation. Also takes a slight kink out of the turbo outlet connector to the IC pipe. After talking with my tuner, he suggested making the change.

Previous setup with the BOV right after the turbo.

[​IMG]

And while I was rearranging the way the IC pipes run, I managed to break the v-band clamp for the BOV. So, ordered a new one on Amazon that had next day delivery. Smaller BOV but still a Turbosmart. Went with a 38mm Vee Port Pro that vents to atmosphere until I can get a fresh tune and swap to a normal bypass BOV. Much quieter than the 38mm Dual Port Uni that was on it previously, which is a good thing. It's also shorter, so there is more clearance now between the BOV and hot pipe.

New setup with BOV right before the TB and the new, smaller and quieter BOV. And yes, I know I need to get new silicone couplers...:p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also installed a red hazard button and painted all the center dash/console silver plastic with a metallic charcoal-ish color. I like it much better now and the original grey/silver was looking pretty bad anyhow, even after cleaning it.

[​IMG]

Left the AC knobs the original color since they would be too difficult to change and I like the way they look with the darker surround now.

[​IMG]

Biscuits, jubei, uurx and 3 others like this.
  20. Oct 6, 2021 at 10:40 AM

604 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Lincoln Navigator V8
    well done; looks good. reading along to learn some things. what is BOV and IC. I have a guess but eh

To Top