1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

got ball joints!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomaforlife, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Jul 2, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    tacomaforlife

tacomaforlife [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    AIKEN, SC
    Vehicle:
    Its a Toyota what more is there to say.....
    TRD S/C 3" sky jacker suspension lift,33" kumho road venture mt kl71's 16" 320c pacer wheels,billet grill,EBC slotted and dimpled rotors,super 44 muffler with gutted cat,smoked l.e.d. tail lights, deck plate mod with K&N filter,fog/blinker mod,cobra cb with 4' firestick antenna/100W PA,clear corners with l.e.d bulbs,55w back up lights,urd O2 sim., blue l.e.d bulbs behind gauge cluster.
    just picked up new upper ball joints for the truck ive never taken them out just played with them when i did the lift does anyone have any advice one the best way to remove and install them? i already know that ill new a tool to pull them out.

2. Jul 2, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    Coolidge

Coolidge Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2003 Pre Runner
    King coilovers frt +3". Bilstein 5100 shocks rear w/AAL, K&N FIPK, Magnablow exhaust, Billet grill, clear corner lights, Sony stereo, JBL, Sub etc.
    Not on a Gen 1. On Gen 1's, The upper BJs are in the spindle, not the UCA.
    I had my local mach shop press old out, press new in when I had frt end apart. (Spindles removed from truck) There are other ways, but thats what I did. Good Luck

3. Jul 2, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    I'm going to be doing this pretty soon myself, but from what I've read and as you know, you'll need a tool to press out the old and install the new. I was going to just borrow one from Autozone when I do mine. The tool is basically just a heavy duty c-clamp with different sized adapters. You could easily make one yourself also by using a proper size pipe, a few pieces of iron, and a grade 8 bolt and nut. (Too much hassle when you can rent for free though).

You shouldn't have to remove the UCA or the knuckle, but just unscrew the ball joint, maybe give it a little tap to separate pieces. Your UCA should have enough play to be able to move it up to get to the knuckle to work the tool. Dont forget to remove the snap ring before trying to press it out.

Granted that I'm going to be replacing my whole UCA, but thats pretty much my plan to get the old one out.

4. Jul 4, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    upper ball joints can be a real pain in the ass to get out. when i removed mine to install my uniball UCAs i had to put the heat right to er and give er many smacks with a hammer to get them out of the spindle. removal of the cotter pin, castle nut and snap ring were the easy part of the job. it would be worth it to have a press.

5. Jul 4, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
  6. Jul 4, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    tacomarotto

tacomarotto "Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    Audi S3
    robby i want pics sooner or later of this!!:D

im jealous man...

7. Jul 5, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    tacomaforlife

tacomaforlife [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    AIKEN, SC
    Vehicle:
    Its a Toyota what more is there to say.....
    TRD S/C 3" sky jacker suspension lift,33" kumho road venture mt kl71's 16" 320c pacer wheels,billet grill,EBC slotted and dimpled rotors,super 44 muffler with gutted cat,smoked l.e.d. tail lights, deck plate mod with K&N filter,fog/blinker mod,cobra cb with 4' firestick antenna/100W PA,clear corners with l.e.d bulbs,55w back up lights,urd O2 sim., blue l.e.d bulbs behind gauge cluster.
    your jealous of me? im jealous of you with that bumper and new springs!:D

got the ball joints done today not to bad to do the driver side was bad because the ball-joint was so worn out but besides that it was ok.

8. Jul 5, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    tacomarotto

tacomarotto "Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    Audi S3
    do you hav any pictures of the ball joints before and after?

id like to see what i should keep an eye out for. mine are going to go bad eventually... the springs are givin me alot of lift and alot of stress on my BJ

and post some pics of ur truck too. i havent seen it in a while;)

Products Discussed in

To Top