1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got dent fixed on tailgate, business owner used 1500 grit wet set after swirl marks on tailgate

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by drade, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Aug 30, 2016 at 4:08 PM
    drade

drade [OP] BRUINS 4 LIFE

Member:
    ME
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Short Cab Silver
    TRD PRO skid plate, wet kole seat covers, tint all around, red line tuning quick Lift system, paint protection film, gloss blacked out OEM emblems, electric start, heated seats.
    Hello all. I just paid someone to remove a dent on my tailgate. I am no expert with vehicles. He got the dent out. He then wet sanded the area with 1500 grit and then used what I believe a buffer tool.

Guy has been in the business for 20 years. There are swirl marks under a bright light that are noticeable.

Hard to tell without much light. Did he damage the paint, is this a normal process post dent removal?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  2. Aug 30, 2016 at 4:19 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    You may want to find someone with a paint thickness gauge (professional detailer). They could tell you how much clear was removed (rather, how much is left). Then you'll know If you can safely hit it with a DA polisher to clean it up (without burning through the clear).

My guess is the "repairman" may have used a rotary polisher. Or if he was using a DA, he just didn't get to 100% correction after sanding (maybe he was afraid to after sanding?).

If you do have enough clear left to work with, any detailer could probably hit it really quickly for you and wouldn't charge much.

3. Aug 30, 2016 at 4:21 PM
    drade

drade [OP] BRUINS 4 LIFE

Member:
    ME
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO skid plate, wet kole seat covers, tint all around, red line tuning quick Lift system, paint protection film, gloss blacked out OEM emblems, electric start, heated seats.
    What is a DA ? I can't tell if much coating was removed. Honestly, it's pretty difficult to notice the swirl marks, have to have the right angle and lighting.

4. Aug 30, 2016 at 4:29 PM
    drade

drade [OP] BRUINS 4 LIFE

Member:
    ME
    Vehicle:
    I was waiting for a comment about the old "its a truck" statement. I have never had anything new and with such flawless paint

NMTrailRider likes this.
  5. Aug 30, 2016 at 4:31 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    You're asking the wrong person.
    I know a guy who's been doing body work for over 20 years.. call him and ask.

6. Aug 30, 2016 at 4:35 PM
    drade

drade [OP] BRUINS 4 LIFE

Member:
    ME
    Vehicle:
    i mean in all reality he knew what he was doing with the dent removal part. I just don't know about post dent removal. I am no expert.

i texted him and he texted me back. said "wetsanding is part of the process to flatten out the damaged area. any swirll marks that may be should should dissapear after a few washes. I used swirl mark remover didn't notice any left. As I said they should disspate. all recondition use wet sanding process and swirl mark remover.

Not sure what to think of that text

7. Aug 30, 2016 at 5:39 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Can you post up a pic in direct sunlight? Curious if you are seeing holograms from the buffer. I am sure he used a rotary buffer.

NMTrailRider likes this.
  8. Aug 30, 2016 at 5:47 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Dual Action. Very safe, not as aggressive as a traditional wheel.

9. Aug 30, 2016 at 5:52 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    "Buffer holograms" are a haze/swirl marks left by a rotary polisher. DA's are dual-action polishers. They work differently than rotary. It's nearly impossible to burn through clear with a DA. They're pretty safe. My guess is You either have swirls from a rotary polisher or sanding marks that weren't completely removed.

Honestly, I'd be very cautious on a new truck at this point if he wet sanded and used a rotary. I'm Not saying he did anything wrong (he did what he had to to fix it), but you have no idea how much clear he removed. You could try working it with a fine polish- Megs Ultimate Polish or something of that nature.

Products Discussed in

To Top