1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got kind of a noob question here, help me out guys

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 08_TACO_offroad, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Mar 4, 2011 at 6:05 PM
    08_TACO_offroad

08_TACO_offroad [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 V6 Automatic
    265/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, 17 inch Mickey Thomson Classic II Wheels. UWS tool box. TRD CAI. 3" suspension lift.
    Alright I have a 08 tacoma with a 3" lift. I also have a TRD CAI, and i was wondering how deep of water i could try and go through without it ***king up my s***. Would the cold air intake have any effect on how deeo i could go through? How many inches roughly do you think?

2. Mar 4, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    08_TACO_offroad

08_TACO_offroad [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 V6 Automatic
    265/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, 17 inch Mickey Thomson Classic II Wheels. UWS tool box. TRD CAI. 3" suspension lift.
    So can you answer my question? haha

3. Mar 4, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    He just did. Same as stock. Don't go above the bottom of the doors.

4. Mar 4, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    xwillx93

xwillx93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    MBRP "Cool Duals" dual side swept exhaust, Volant Intake, Blacked Out Tail lights, Touchscreen Kenwood DDx616 with a 10" Kicker CVR in a custom Box, 2 Kicker Comp 6" Speakers, Removed front and rear mud flaps, Weathertech Floormats, Kobalt Slim Toolbox, Chevrolet Air compressor
    id play it safe and not go INTO anything deeper than maybe your bumper? Im no expert in sinking stuff just wait you'll get an answer soon

5. Mar 4, 2011 at 11:26 PM
    Sawick

Sawick Still not worthy!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    JB MDL, NJ
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport
    T4R TRD Pro Wheels, LED lights, Tonneau Cover, ICI running boards, AVS window/bug
    I would think you should be safe going to around the bottom of your doors, maybe up to the badging on them.

Funny story, had an 06 Mustang GT in water up to my windows during a flash flood in Tampa a few years ago. Water even came over the hood a bit. Didnt let off the gas and the sucker still kept going till I got to a higher parking lot. Just goes to show you its possible no matter what! (I did get a nice puddle of water inside through the doors though) I would not want to try it again

6. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    GetBarelled

GetBarelled √ Back in a Taco again √

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    SF Bay
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR 4x4
    Billy 5100's all around. Otherwise, the truck is OLD and STOCK.
    I dont have a TRD CAI but I'm considering buying one and was wondering the same thing. All you gotta do is a little research on the official TRD website. It states how TRD engineers took this into account and have designed some kind of a bypass valve to help PREVENT hydrolocking. Go check it out, might make you feel a bit better about submarining your truck.;)

7. Mar 10, 2011 at 9:07 AM
    GetBarelled

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    SF Bay
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR 4x4
    YES it has a bypass valve.
    YES it draws air from a lower location than stock, hence the name COLD AIR INTAKE.

here you go, maybe you should listen to this TRD engineer?

http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/parts_catalog/filters_intakes/intakes_&_filters_overview.html

8. Mar 10, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    GetBarelled

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    SF Bay
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR 4x4

I think the video of some old guy (because let's face it, old guys are dumb) is a bit more believable than just a picture, but YES, I agree. It does look like it fits right into the stock fender hole! And where is this mythical bypass valve he's talking about?
    ??? Guess this guy from TRD doesn't know what hell he's talking about?
    It doesn't look like it pulls air from a colder/lower location either compared to stock. Is this just some unnecessary mod TRD is pushing for $$??

Oh, and thanks for posting that pic twice, my scroll wheel only works going down the page, not up. BTW, thats an FJ CAI. Tacoma CAI is a bit smaller. Here - http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/images/filters_intakes/fob_2_b.jpg.

whippersnapper02 - 1
    GetBarelled - 0

Maybe next season though...

9. Mar 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    thebottomline

thebottomline Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pac NW
    Vehicle:
    11 sport
    Ok well the first picture is of the 2010-2011 tacoma air intake. That link to the old model is useless.
    The one pictured is what I have, and since I have seen it up close I can definitely say it is not valved or ported. Basically you buy it cuz it looks nice and makes the engine a bit louder. No sense arguing about it. That video obviously was made as a sales pitch to unwitting consumers. It is about product sales...not mechanical knowledge.

Products Discussed in

To Top