1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got my first Tacoma, want a tonneau cover! Truxedo or Access Rol up ?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by reznor, May 7, 2012.

1. May 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM
    reznor

reznor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
  2. May 8, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    WVTacoma08

WVTacoma08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD PRO Super White
    Right on...& easy to do

3. May 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    Let me to be more specific about the bed cleats as I don't want to mislead anyone. With the tonneau cover rails installed all you can do is slide the cleats along the bed cleat rails. They do lock in place by tightening the knob (as usual) but you can't rotate the assembly 90* and remove them from the track altogether. To remove them from the track you'll have to remove the track end cap(s) and slide them out.

Here's a couple of pictures of the bed cleat, rail, & tonneau cover rail.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. May 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    StickShifty

StickShifty Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 4WD 6SPD
    did not loose any space, its the original roll up cover. most people have the original so i went with that one, i am very happy. the bottom of the cover sits flush with the bed, and the cover is about 1 inch in tall.

as stated above if you want to removed the cleats you have to slide them out the back, no biggie IMO. but you still have full access to them (very important when i was shopping around).

5. May 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    LSUTaco

LSUTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jax
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD sport
    This is really good information for a new guy like like myself. Does the rollup have a protective seal like the LE? What are the major differences between the LE and rollup besides price? Any comments on the literider? I've done searches, but I am just overwhelmed with all these tonneau options. Didn't know it would be this complicated to choose one, hehe

6. May 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    478DblSport

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    IIRC the only differences between the Roll up and the Limited is that the Limited has the tailgate gasket & a "one pull" type system that unlocks both sides. My Roll Up has a spring loaded slide on the driverside and a manual slide on the passenger side to lock & unlock it. For me, I couldn't justify the difference in price. My wife and I travel a good bit and we stow our gear in the bed and have never had a problem with it getting wet. Good luck with your purchase.

7. May 23, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    bkrdave36

bkrdave36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Double Cab Black
    Daystar 3 inch lift, Icon Stage 3 Rear Leaf Springs, Durobump bump stops,Bilstein 5125 shocks, BFG All Terrain KO2 Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, Victory 4x4 bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod, Chinese Knockoff LED lights, Body Armor 4x4 Offroad Swingout rear tire carrier and bumper, Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners, Rattle can Custom Camo paint stripe, Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover, various Blue Ridge Overland Gear storage solutions in cab, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    I have the Truxedo Lo Pro. It works great! Over time I had to have the velcro loop strips replaced. Took it to an auto upholstery place and got it done for about $35. Replaced the rear tailgate Weather strip twice (hey its Phoenix, the Heat and the UV eats rubber alive!). If you are the original owner of the cover the parts are free. As I am not the original owner of the cover I bought the first one ($20) and they gave me the second one free! Truxedo customer service is really good! Nice people too.

8. May 27, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    bravosvo

bravosvo Active Member

Member:
    Do both brands (Truxxedo and Access) rail systems hang over into the bed? Theoretically, eating up bed space (width).

9. May 27, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    Nunavut

Nunavut Eh oh, Canada go.

Member:
    Canada
    I have a trifold tonneau cover. I'd have too say I really like it. The main reason I got it is so I have something covering my hockey equipment when I have it lying in the back of my truck. That way it doesn't get covered in rain/snow.

So it really depends on why you're getting one.

10. May 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    478DblSport

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    Speaking of the Access... that would be a YES. My Roll Up measures appx 51.5" at the tailgate end. The adjustment knobs at the front of the cab will take up more room... didn't measure that though.

11. Jun 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    bravosvo

bravosvo Active Member

Member:
    Is there a difference in bed space width the Access Lorado and LE take up? I think I read somewhere that the LE takes up less than the Lorado but I'm not sure.

12. Jun 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    primer

primer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SS Mica AC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    (Mostly) debadged, Homelink mirror, Elevated rear diff breather, LED illuminated 4x4 switch, Color matched grill surround, Bed cover, Ivan Stewart wheels, Bridgestone 265/75 Dueler AT Revo 2 tires
    Don't know the answer. My Access LE will turn 6 in a couple months. Going strong. Cleats in place.

13. Jun 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    kws129

kws129 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road Double Cab
    I have the access LE. Absolutely great cover and if I remember quite a bitt less moolah than the Truxedo.

Can we still ge tthe discount from Truck Alterations?

14. Jun 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    Two Tall

Two Tall Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road DCSB 4x4
    Retrax MXPro bed cover, Gentex Homelink mirror, TRD exhaust
    I've got the Access LiteRider....very happy with it.

Products Discussed in

To Top