1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got rid of the squeaky clutch pedal BUT!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BAMAFAN67, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Aug 20, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    BAMAFAN67

BAMAFAN67 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Free State of Jones
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OD 4X4 DCSB
    I've had the squeaking clutch pedal since I purchased the truck about a year and a half ago, I started thinking about doing the spring swap and actually bought the #70 Linear spring from ACE, just never got around to it. A few weeks ago I notice that my clutch pedal was not returning all the way up while going through the gears, wouldn't do all the time, just periodically and I would have to pull it back up with my foot. Well one Friday evening I'm getting ready to leave a parking lot, truck goes into 1st fine, shifts to 2nd fine but when I go to shift back to first at the exit of the parking lot the clutch pedal goes all the way to the floor with very little resistance and won't go into gear. I sit there for a few minutes trying to force it, finally get it into 1st, get her rolling and gingerly into 2nd and on through the remaining gears all the way home with no other issues.
    I replace the master cylinder and slave cylinder, bleed the system and while I'm at it I replace the torsion spring with the #70 spring and got rid of the annoying squeaky pedal but now the squeak has been replaced but this god awful creaking and popping noise. I pulled the whole pedal assembly out yesterday and greased the sleeve and bolt that holds the pedal assembly in place but its still popping. I'm beginning to think its the push rod on the master cylinder, has anyone else run into this problem? Thanks

2. Aug 20, 2018 at 8:42 AM
    Gyrkin

Gyrkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma TRD v6 5-speed
    The part on the clutch petal that the old coil spring hooked into is rubbing on the linear spring, cut it off and the popping noise will stop. Stick your head down there and watch as you push the petal down and you will see what I mean.

3. Aug 20, 2018 at 9:56 AM
    BAMAFAN67

BAMAFAN67 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Free State of Jones
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OD 4X4 DCSB
    Yeah, I've thought of that but its popping before the clutch pedal tab it ever makes contact with the spring. I have a video of it just have to figure out how to post it on here.

Products Discussed in

To Top