1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got some adjustable air shocks

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by IDtrucks, May 23, 2011.

1. May 23, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks [OP] Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    After doing my researching and internet browsing i bought a pair of Monroe MA727s from shucks for $75 plus tax. Monroe doesent say that these shocks work for tacomas, but they fit fine no modification required at all.
    326.jpg

I didnt realize just how blown my stock shocks were untill i took them off. I could compress them with my pinky finger and they didnt rebound whatsoever. I could almost just pull them in and out no problem. No wonder my ride was crap and i bottomed out all the time.

Then with my dirtbike in the back i had zero suspension clearence. Well that, and i am lowered 2" and using shaved stock bumpstops to keep my fender from hitting my too wide tire.

Anyway, i installed them, didnt take very long at all. Fit great, running airlines was a breeze. At first i was sad because i lost about 1/3" of drop, then i realized that the 1/3" my truck lifted was because i didnt have the sag of the useless stock shocks.
    320.jpg

The shocks have little air hoses that run up to the t valve stem, and you fill them up just like a tire. I put my filler valve in the gas cap area
    323.jpg

Filled up the shocks to 20psi (minimum pressure) Thats what i keep it at for normal driving. So far i love it. Ride is pretty smooth but firm. Then filling it up to about 40-50 for the dirtbike is perfect, no more horrible ride for me. In the picture its at 45, which is about an inch higher (unloaded) than normal driving, and stiffer. They can go up to 100. So if im bringing a friend riding or if im taking a trailer ill probably have to bump it up to 75-85. I am so glad i bought these. They work perfectly for me.
    331.jpg

2. May 23, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    SupraT

SupraT Tacoma Lover

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Columbia Falls
    Vehicle:
    98 TRD SR5 4x4
    3" Lift Three leaf add and Bilstin 5100"s in back and Donahoe coilovers in front, Tinted Windows, Blackened parking light, tinted brake lights, clear bumper lights, Blacked out turn signals, AVS vent visors, Electric Fan mod, K&N CAI
    Looks good man..

3. May 23, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Glad they're working for you but keep an eye on them... Shocks aren't supposed to support weight, the leaf springs should support the truck, the shocks should just dampen the ride. Those air shocks are now forcing a part to hold up the truck that was not intended to.

I highly doubt you'll do anything to harm the truck, just keep an eye on the attachment points to make sure nothing bends, cracks, etc.

4. May 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    interesting. good install dude

5. May 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors

that was the one thing i was weary of. Im certanly not going to max them out and throw on a heavy trailer or load the bed with 3 bikes or anything. Im just going to use them as if they were very stiff shocks. Thanks for the heads up:D

6. May 23, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    Racerboy221

Racerboy221 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Litchfield Park, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2.4, Std cab/bed, 18"wheels,airshocks
    18" Wheels & Tires, Airshocks, CB Radio
    nice review. They Air Shocks have made a ton of difference for me with pulling my trailer and loads in the bed.

When mine were first installed, there was no alternate kit to use so we modified a Chevy S-10 set and the went in perfectly. I have had them now for about 6 years and uncertain as tho their real life cycle. They are still holding air and the ride is great so they will stay until that changes!

7. May 24, 2011 at 8:47 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    shucks said they have a lifetime warranty as long as I dont off road it or beat em up, which I know im not doing lol. So as long as they don't leak air they should last a while

8. Sep 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    old thread revival! These still holding up? any problems? I got the same bike and my shit be all jacked up when im loading bikes!

9. Sep 19, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    definitely dont have that truck anymore haha. I sold it for my 4wd almost 2 years ago

10. Sep 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Won't work for him anyways. He is a 2nd gen, different mounting for the shocks.

11. Sep 19, 2013 at 2:38 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Oh that too. Might be able to find differen expanded and compressed length shocks though. As i remember there are a bunch of different models of the same shock with different lengths

12. Sep 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Length isn't the issue.

2nd gens have spindle top mounts and bushings on the bottom. So he would need a different model I bet..if they make em like that even

13. Mar 26, 2020 at 4:33 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    I forgot to repost i ended up using monroe ma77 i believe they were. Just had to shave the bottom mount on the shock a little and ive been running them since. Time to change them now as they have started to lose air. But pretty good for 7 years if pounding. Again just for second gen guys. They are cheap to, i think the details are in my build thread. Good luck

WRDD Taco likes this.
  14. Mar 26, 2020 at 4:45 PM
    vasinvictor

vasinvictor Junkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '01 DCSB racetruck
    hx35 turbo, AEM F/IC, Transgo, custom converter, CalTracs, Elocker, 2-4" drop, 4x4 conversion (2023) on a new purple powdercoated fram, 255/55r18 street, 255/60r16 M&H Racemasters, 7.6 at 91
    Thanks for the long term update!

jmarquez808 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top