1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

got some extra cash..want to upgrade speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by KaliTaco, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Oct 30, 2008 at 1:58 AM
    KaliTaco

KaliTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    i got a bit of cash on hand and all i can think of is to upgrade my speakers. but im not a sound audio guys. so can someone help me and point me in what i need to get. i have a double cab with a pioneer f90bt. what will fit and what will sound the best. thanks. looking to add a little thump without adding an amp or sub because there is not much room.

2. Oct 30, 2008 at 6:39 AM
    robsatx

robsatx Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma & 2008 Tundra
    Audio, lift
    The purpose if this article is to help pick out 6.5 inch speakers for your Tacoma. It is a basic explanation about mounting, power and other important info you should consider before you purchase speakers.
    NOTE: If you are planning on a subwoofer I suggest the use 6.5 inch component speakers. If you do not plan on a sub, 6x9s may be enough for your BASS needs.
    A common misconception is that all 6.5 inch spears are the same size. However, they vary in size, weight and a number of other factors. The overall diameter is “supposed” to be 6.5 inches. But as shown in some pics below you will see that the sizes vary, even by the same manufacturer.
    There are many factors in choosing speakers. This will depend on your taste and the amount of sound (volume) you wish to derive from your system. Not to mention your “budget” J
    Here is a list of what to consider when purchasing speakers.
    1. Mounting Diameter – this is “hole” that the speaker will fit inside of. 95% of all coax 6.5 inch speakers can be mounted in a 5.125 size mounting hole. This is the standard size used in the *********.com mount. Custom sizes are now available.
    2. Mounting Depth – In the case of the 05-09 Tacoma using the *********.com 1” mount will give you a bit over 3.25 inches of mounting depth. In a nutshell you have 3.25 inches before the magnet will interfere with the window operation. Using a cheap ¾ inch mount will yield a bit less than 3” mounting depth. This will reduce your option for higher end speakers.
    NOTE: The picture below is for reference only. The deepest speaker I have seen mounted in a Taco was a bit over 3.25 inches.

http://www.*********.com/tn/9.jpg

http://www.*********.com/tn/8.jpg

3. RMS Wattage – don’t be fooled by MAX watt ratings they mean almost nothing when selecting your speakers. RMS (Root means square) is the power your speakers can handle continuously. Very few coax speakers are over 65 watts. MOST manufacturers hide the RMS ratting so search carefully.
    4. Sensitivity - A sensitivity rating tells you how effectively a speaker converts power watts into volume. Be weary of cheap speakers that require lots of power because they are bad at handling power. In other words the better a speaker the higher the sensitivity.
    5 Coax or Component?
    Coaxial Speakers – Good
    Coaxial speakers contain two or more elements on a single axis: a woofer, to reproduce the low notes, and a tweeter, mounted inside the woofer, for the highs. These are often lower cost speakers that allow for better sound than most stock car audio systems.
    Component Speakers – BEST!
    Component systems, or separates, use a superior speaker design to give you the best possible sound. A typical separates system includes 2 woofers, 2 tweeters, and 2 external crossovers
    Generally, components are made of better materials than their two- or three-way coaxial counterparts. By nature of components, you can position the separate tweeters for optimal imaging. Given adequate power, separates deliver exceptional dynamics and detail.

6. If you don’t understand midbass driver, tweeters or crossovers. Check out this site:
    Bcae1.com it is a great information place for stereo newbies.
    Below are two speakers from the Polk Audio, Polk Momo 6500 & MM6501. Both are described as 6.5 inch speakers. However you will see they vary a significant amount.
    NOTE: The polks only require a 5" mounting hole. While the Image Dyanmics XS65 require a near 5.7 nches. Plus the IDs are much deeper mounting depth.
    http://www.*********.com/tn/2.jpg

The pencil lines are traced around the outside of each speaker. You can see a difference of about 1/8 of an inch or about ¼ inch overall difference.
    http://www.*********.com/tn/3.jpg
    Mounting diameter for about 95% of 6.5 inch coax speakers:
    http://www.*********.com/tn/5.jpg
    Custom size for ID XS65.
    http://www.*********.com/tn/6.jpg

The speaker mount below is a custom sized speaker mount for an Image Dynamics XS65 that requires larger mounting diameter than both of these Polks. I am often asked why not make the hole bigger to accommodate all speakers. Well if the mounting diameter is to big, you wont’ have any place for the screws to attach to using the Polk 6500.
    If you look closely the speaker is to small for the larger mounting diameter. Two of the holes have no wood behind them.
    http://www.*********.com/tn/10.jpg
    Hole to small for the XS65.
    http://www.*********.com/tn/11.jpg
    BTW, these bad boys ROCK!
    http://www.*********.com/tn/7.jpg

95% of all speakers will work in the standard 5.1 inch speaker mounting diameter.

For you folks planning on a very nice sound system, most components will require a larger hole.

The speaker mounts shown above are made from eco-friendly and more important health friendly outdoor grade mdf. Not cheap MDF purchased @ your local hardware store. They contain no formaldehyde and rated for outdoor use.

If you want a lifetime solution check these out:
    http://www.*********.com/tn/12.jpg
    Oops here is some common info on Coax & Components to back up my info:
    http://www.*********.com/tn/coax.jpg
    http://www.*********.com/tn/component.jpg
    FYI:
    You can use just about any 6x9 speaker with the 6x9 mounts:
    http://www.*********.com/installation/speakers/full/1.jpg

3. Oct 30, 2008 at 9:35 AM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    very well done article! [​IMG]

4. Oct 30, 2008 at 10:24 AM
    KaliTaco

Member:
  5. Oct 30, 2008 at 10:47 AM
    KaliTaco

Member:
    ok i dont understand all these speakers. i want bass without adding an amp or sub. so im going with fronts 6x9 and rear 6.5. what company should i go for? The install seems pretty easy so i might do it myself.

6. Oct 30, 2008 at 10:52 AM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
  7. Oct 30, 2008 at 10:55 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    just go look around in the audio sections. there are plenty of threads talking about what kind of speakers people use and how to install them and everyting else in between

8. Oct 30, 2008 at 11:01 AM
    KaliTaco

Member:
  9. Oct 30, 2008 at 11:12 AM
    KaliTaco

Member:
    can i go front 6x9 and rear 6x9? to get more bass?

10. Oct 30, 2008 at 11:27 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    as far as i know...only the front can go to 6x9 without any serious modification.

11. Oct 30, 2008 at 2:48 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Note that some speakers are more power hungry than others. Some expensive speakers are going to sound the same as cheaper speakers if you don't amp them.

Some speakers sound bright (more highs), and some have better lows. Listen to find what you like.

A 6x9 typically sounds deeper than others, but try for a natural sound and not something that is struggling. Avoid flubbiness or popping.

Robsatx is right about components, the ability to seperate out the speakers allows the manufacturer to not compromise space and build. However, work with YOUR budget.

Don't be fooled by the crazy 5-way 6x9 speakers, they are more gimmicky than they are probably worth.

I used to be caught up in brands, too. Experts here have since told me to listen with my ears and not look at price tags or brands. Narrow it down, then post here on what you need help deciding between. Avoid fanboys, go for a consistent opinion of "this sounds good".

When listening, try to set a flat EQ and reproduce your environment as best you can (so, in your case, insist on listening to the speakers with the amps off). Don't have subs playing. Listen to the same 3 songs on all the speakers. This gives you a more level playing field.
    I sometimes close my eyes to prevent other distractions.

Ask here if you feel the dealer (especially online) is shady.

For starters, I would avoid anything Sony anymore. I have heard nothing but a consistent "these suck" for the past 6 or so years.

12. Oct 31, 2008 at 12:00 AM
    KaliTaco

Member:
    if i go with polk audio. how would i install the grills on our tacos? or dont even use them?

what do you guys think about polks mmc650 and the mmc690? any good? will they work? its only 200 for the 2 sets so thats not bad. plus 100 for ********* kit. all together around 300 for replacing the stock speakers. not bad.

13. Oct 31, 2008 at 5:02 AM
    robsatx

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    Audio, lift
    You don't use the grills. Which polks are you planning? ARe you going with an amp?

RCBS is correct, you can't install 6x0s in the rear of the truck without some major mods to door panel and door itself.
    6x9 or 6.5 in front
    6.5 in rear

Keep in mind with a great set of component speakers and an amp you don't need rear speakers.

14. Oct 31, 2008 at 7:41 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Not necessarily. That's dependent on the subjective opinion of the listener, and also dependent on their setup.

15. Oct 31, 2008 at 8:07 AM
    robsatx

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    Audio, lift
    True! It depends on user,

HOWEVER (it had to be here LOL) a majority of audio nuts tend to agree a soundstage is from front to rear. This is not true in theater. Have you ever been a concert where speakers are behind you?

This is the sound you should strive for in your car audio.

The less reflection in sound delivery (before reaching the ears) tends to develop better SQ.

But again, this is user subjective and like anything else "subjective" . . . .something that is "eperienced / learned".

I can tell you in most cases peeps can't believe I only have two speakers in my vehicle(s). When properly amped and tuned, a great set of componets will surprise most listeners.

16. Nov 1, 2008 at 11:45 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    As mentioned "sound" is very subjective and everybody is going to have their own opinion on what speakers sound "best" so I will do my typical preaching instead. :D Getting the "most" from whatever speakers you choose is not as simple as sticking them in a baffle and attaching them to the door. :confused: If you are truly interested in getting the most from your new speakers you must eliminate panel resonance with a mass loading deadening material, reduce road/wind noise with some type of barrier, have sufficient power within the thermal/mechanical limits of the speaker to play at the level you desire without audible distortion, seal the rear speaker wave from the front wave, set proper gain structure and levels between drivers, set the proper crossover point/slope, eliminate or utilize reflections to your benefit, set the proper acoustic polarity/phase for your specific vehicle/speaker location etc. If you check my GENERAL CAR AUDIO FAQ'S THREAD as well as my INSTALL TUTORIAL you will find more detailed information concerning choosing as well as properly installing new speakers to get the most from them. As soon as I get a chance I will go into tuning details concerning how to set all of the above as well as how to properly implement rear fill so it will enhance your front stage. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top