1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GPS Mount Above Radio Console

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by rkando, May 24, 2012.

1. May 24, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    rkando

rkando [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD
    LED lights, siren, 2-way radios, ignition switched & unswitched 12vdc accessory power supply panels
    I was frustrated looking for a sturdy, quality built, and adjustable dash mount for a GPS; I had no luck with various mounts from suction cup and adhesive bases. I was able to use two #8 screws to mount a diamond shaped RAM base, RAM-B-238-U, onto the console above the CD slot of the radio console and used a short universal swivel extension, RAP-B-201U-A, to attach a Garmin GPS ball. I had to be sure that there was clearance behind the console where the nuts were used. Thanks those who provided radio removal instructions. If not for them, I would have never attempted this.

Overall GPS Mt.jpg
    Short Univ Mt.jpg
    Ball Mt Scale.jpg

Burritoma likes this.
  2. Feb 21, 2013 at 3:01 AM
    rc51ny

rc51ny Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I'm assuming the entire radio has to be removed in order to get behind this plate to install the screws and nuts?

3. Feb 21, 2013 at 3:44 AM
    Kailey Jo

Kailey Jo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Liam
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD
    I really like the look of that, may do something similar (read exactly the same with a different mount) for my cell phone (read GPS)

Been a while since I pulled the radio, is there a good amount of clearance back there?

4. Feb 21, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    rkando

rkando [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD
    LED lights, siren, 2-way radios, ignition switched & unswitched 12vdc accessory power supply panels
    The entire faceplate, with radio intact, slides out. Use a putty knife below the heat/AC control panel to remove heat/AC control panel, located below radio. Pull electrical plugs from back of heat/AC panel. This will expose four (4) bolts below the radio faceplace. Using a 10mm socket with extension, remove four (4) bolts. Use a putty knife at the top of silver faceplace panel where it meets the dashboard above radio and pry faceplate from inward. The panel with radio tilts inward exposing access to radio wiring and area to drill hole for GPS mount. Here is a link to Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_lhVFJGIKs

Products Discussed in

To Top