1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grease your zerks!!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kris77, May 5, 2010.

1. May 23, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    Well, I got the 3 on my rear driveshaft, and the one in the very front, but I couldn't get to the middle one (the second one from the front). And I thought that would stop my "clunking" sound, but it didn't :( I guess I will have to take her to the dealer to see whats wrong.

2. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    c005jjc

c005jjc Statistics are boring…until you become one!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner DoubleCab SR5
    Axle wrap mod, Fumoto oil drain valve, Tinted windows
    I have a 2001 Prerunner that has 5 zerks on the drive shaft. I use a floor jack and raise the rear up just off the floor and put her on jack stands then put the tranny in neutral so I can spin the drive shaft and it is no problem to grease all 5 zerk fittings. As for the "clunk" when coming to a stop and then taking off...I did the axle wrap mod and my worries are over. No more "clunk" and I really enjoy driving my truck all 500 miles a week now...except for filling the tank! I think my next mod is going to be the electric fan mod to see if I can up my mpg's faster than the price of fuel is going up. BTW, I added the fumoto oil drain valve to my V-6 and it is about 2 inches or more above the skid pans and shouldn't pose any problem what-so-ever about getting knocked off. Next mod is the oil filter relocation kit so my oil changes will be easy pezy lemon sqeezy! Then I will do the electric fan mod. The truck is paid for...looks really good...runs really good...and I am going to keep it for a long, long time. I hate those monthly payments so I am just adding a few things here and there and it makes me happy to work on it. I can do a bunch of mods every year and still not spend out as much as having a payment every month!

3. Feb 27, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    if you pushed grease that popped out of the seal you just ruined the U-Joint
    the seal is popped out now dirt and water will get in and ruin your U-Joint in a short time!

duh! its easy to tell when its full, you can feel the pressure on the grease gun handle!
    dummy!

4. Feb 27, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    BartStar

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    Mr. whippersnapper! you're one of the 2 or 3 people I like and respect in this forum!
    It upsets me when you disagree with me.

5. Feb 27, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Make up your mind

6. Feb 27, 2011 at 3:10 PM
    BartStar

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    Most hand grease guns go between 5000 to 7500 psi pressure, u-joints , tie rods and ball joints require a setting of 2000 psi or less!
    Its one of the first lessons a trainned mechanic gets and they have air grease guns that can be adjusted to that pressure, or there are special hand grease guns that are lower pressure.
    If you don't have the special grease gun, then just pump it one time and guess at it, but its very easy to feel the pressure on the grease gun handle as you're pumping it and as soon as you feel the pressure STOP!

Its sooo basic and common sence!

Watch! I bet that u-joint he just greased will fail in less than 30 days!

You Know? I came to this forum for some advice, some new ideas, for something I didn't know, how to do something the right way, but most of the time I know more than most people in this forum and some of the advice I am reading is wrong and will harm and damage your truck and I feel I should point that out.
    I am sorry if I offended anybody and made them cry, but its hard for me to keep quiet about it!
    Now that man, he's a good man, I have no problem with him, but he just ruined his u-joints and it could be dangerous when a u-joint pops out and you drop a driveshaft going down the road at 60 mph!
    OK?
    Peace Be With You!

7. Feb 27, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
  8. Feb 27, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    JustMe

JustMe Active Member

Member:

If you are so smart you would have known that Dana/Spicer recommends
    purging the seals. Being Dana/Spicer manufactures the
    drive shafts on the Tacoma, I’ll follow their instructions.

I quote from the Spicer Lubrication Specifications manual.

“1. Using the proper lubricant, purge all four bearing seals of each U-joint. This flushes abrasive contaminants from the bearing and assures all four bearings are filled properly. *Purge the seals. Spicer seals are made to be purged.

2. If any of the seals fail to purge, move the driveshaft from side to side while applying gun pressure. This allows greater clearance on the thrust end of the bearing that is not purging (Photo 1).

* Note: Purge - The point at which
    fresh lubricant has flowed from the seal.”

9. Feb 27, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    HuntnTruk

HuntnTruk Tacohead

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    New York-not the City
    Vehicle:
    Indigo SR5 4x4
    HAHA thats great stuff (owning bartstar)

10. Feb 27, 2011 at 7:37 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats

BULLSHIT!!

11. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:29 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Sounds like the definitive answer to me. That is what I've been doing for ever. Step 2 is something I did not know. "2. If any of the seals fail to purge, move the driveshaft from side to side while applying gun pressure. This allows greater clearance on the thrust end of the bearing that is not purging" Thanks for the info.

12. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:32 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Don't feed the troll known as Bartstar

13. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:35 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    And coal and firewood .

14. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:35 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    common sense... if grease is coming out how will dirt get in? once pressure is relieved the seals will reseat...

15. Feb 28, 2011 at 1:30 AM
    BartStar

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    DUH! Whats Dana-Spicer in business for? (answer) TO SELL MORE U-JOINTS!
    They will always tell you missleading information so the u-joints will fail so they can sell more u-joints!
    Why do people that make motor oil tell you to oil change at every 3000 miles and the car co's tell you to oil change at 8000 miles?
    So they can sell MORE motor oil! SAME THING!

So tell me Mr Know-It-All,, Why do they make special low pressure grease guns for u-joints and ball joints for?
    huh?

Maybe you should have thought about that before you inserted foot in mouth?

Mr Whippersnapper will agree with me, break the seal on the u-joints and they will fail quickly!

16. Feb 28, 2011 at 2:34 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    :rolleyes:

Let me give you a tip, Dana Spicer isn't saying that to sell more ujoints. If they gave advice that caused U-joints to fail every 30 days no one would buy them. They're saying that so that you flush contaminants out. You obviously have no idea what in the fuck you're talking about, you're a huge troll, and I've no idea how you can have 353 posts since Jan. without having been banned.

Did you miss this?
    *Purge the seals. Spicer seals are made to be purged.

Oh and I'm not even mad yo

17. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Basic question, Do you know how u-joint lubrication works ?
    grease gets pushed pass those seals al lthe time. Granted it does it at slower pace then when using grease gun but still does it.

18. Mar 1, 2011 at 5:17 AM
    c005jjc

c005jjc Statistics are boring…until you become one!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner DoubleCab SR5
    Axle wrap mod, Fumoto oil drain valve, Tinted windows
    I don't want to get in the middle of interesting posts but....I drive a 2008 Peterbilt with 362,000 miles on it and the guys at the shop always grease the u-joints stopping only when they see the grease coming out of the seals. That is the way they do it and we very seldom have any u-joints go bad...and they do a pm every 25,000 miles. Works for them...works for me. Carry on please...

19. Mar 1, 2011 at 2:54 PM
    BartStar

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    Mr maxamillion2345, I really don't care if you disagree with me, and I don't have to use 4 letter words to prove a point like you use, I am too good and too intelligent for that, and oh yea, I am really good looking too!
    I always think its really said when people like yourself is both ugly on the inside and outside, meaning you're not as good looking as me, and you're ugly on the inside cause you have to use 4 letter words!

20. Mar 1, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    tacomaforlife

tacomaforlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    AIKEN, SC
    Vehicle:
    Its a Toyota what more is there to say.....
    TRD S/C 3" sky jacker suspension lift,33" kumho road venture mt kl71's 16" 320c pacer wheels,billet grill,EBC slotted and dimpled rotors,super 44 muffler with gutted cat,smoked l.e.d. tail lights, deck plate mod with K&N filter,fog/blinker mod,cobra cb with 4' firestick antenna/100W PA,clear corners with l.e.d bulbs,55w back up lights,urd O2 sim., blue l.e.d bulbs behind gauge cluster.
    Whos An *** you is:p

Products Discussed in

To Top