1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GREAT NEWS FOR THROWOUT BEARING / RELEASE BEARING ISSUES!!!! V6 6SPEED

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bigfro, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Dec 4, 2015 at 5:25 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Honestly, it's an easy job. I've never pulled one out and rebuilt one before. It still only took 45 minutes to remove it, rebuild it and reinstall it. Bleeding it added another 20 minutes or something.
    The better question is how comfortable you are working on your vehicles. If you're confident in your mechanical skills, you'll be fine. You'll also have to bleed the clutch, so have a friend available to help.
    Obviously with the more tools and experience you have, the easier it is.

2. Jun 5, 2016 at 2:47 PM
    richiep

richiep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Access 4WD SR5
    Trd s/c 2.85 pully Walbro 255 f/p Urd stage 3 clutch Hurst core shifter Afe cai
    What is the best replacement throw out bearing for the 2nd gen 4.0 6 speed?

3. Sep 24, 2016 at 5:08 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  4. Sep 24, 2016 at 5:32 PM
    richiep

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NY
    Vehicle:
    When my truck had 40000 miles on it, it was chirping like crazy, drove me nuts. one day i realized when i just put a little pressure on the pedal it went away, so i adjusted the rod on top of the clutch pedal just enough for the chirp to go away. it was great till 200,000 miles till I replaced the clutch, tranny & tob. tranny was grinding between 2nd & 3rd forever.

so i have to disagree with the pre load thing cause it worked for me with no issue.

5. Sep 25, 2016 at 7:19 AM
    hladun

hladun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Doing it this way is asking for trouble. Adjusting the rod prevents the clutch hydraulics from resetting (for lack of a better word) when the pedal is up. You have to fix it at the slave cylinder.

6. Sep 25, 2016 at 7:46 AM
    richiep

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NY
    Vehicle:
    there is no adjustment at the slave, the only user serviceable adjustment is at the rod at the master which is at the top of the clutch pedal. like i said, it was fine for 150,000 miles plus.

7. Sep 25, 2016 at 7:52 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Thats a huge mistake trying to fix this issue at the slave cylinder .I wont go as far as saying it,s BS as some individuals like to utilize but , all you are doing is creating additional wear on your release bearing and your aluminum quill where the bearing rides . Are you making the noise go away " YES " because you are making the bearing that is slightly touching the pressure plate and forcing it against the pressure plate which in turn causes the bearing to spin all the time . The noise went away so the problem must be fixed . Yup its quiet so it must be fixed
    This is " NOT " how a diagphram style clutch works
    Are you fixing the issue ? " absolutely not " The bearing may go quiet but its not the fix . Most Tacoma owners fall into this trap because they dont understand how a diagphram style clutch works . You cook the bearing and you cook your quill .
    Unfortunately , Toyota doesn't give us enough adjustment to totally fix the problem which has plagued Toyota transmissions for the past few years.
    Strange how the Tacoma,s with enough clearance never had an issue 2000-2005 as an example ..
    To add , if the bearing was meant to spin all the time , why didnt Toyota simply make our trucks with a self adjusting clutch therefore ruling out the shock load of the bearing starting to turn as the clutch is released ?
    Engineering basics 101 here gentleman . The smart individuals will understand where I am coming from .
    I am not going to beat a dead horse on this one . What is said is said , and its just a bearing that Toyota didnt leave enough room for proper adjustment and here is why .
    Lets say there is a preload on your release bearing of 12 foot pounds when the truck comes from the factory .
    As your clutch disc slowly wears down, that preload is going to multiply because the fingers on the pressure plate are constantly moving towards the release bearing . Your clutch pedal continues to get higher and higher until it doesnt release anymore and this is the hugest issue with 2nd gen Toyota manual transmission . There is a significant groove placed in the aluminum quill because the bearing spins all the time .
    Believe what you want but that bearing is " NOT " designed to turn all the time in this application using a diaphram style clutch. I do not care if you called LUK clutches because I called them as well and they agreed with me . This is engineering 101
    In the end , its just a bearing

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    scottalot likes this.
  8. Sep 26, 2016 at 9:10 PM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I thought we had already settled this about the T/O bearing spinning all the time the engine is running. It does so by design. There is a push-type spring in the slave cylinders of both the 5-speeds and the 6-speeds that pushes the fork forward on its pivot to preload the bearing against the fingers of the pressure plate and the bearing spins full time. The spring seems to have a preload force I guesstimated to be about 8 or 10 pounds, maybe more. Short of taking out the spring and pulling the fork in the opposite direction with a pull-type spring there is nothing you can do to stop the full time spinning. I have directly observed the T/O contact against the pressure plate and bearing spinning full time on both my 5 speed and 6 speed Tacos.

9. Sep 27, 2016 at 10:44 AM
    Mariotaco

Mariotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    El Paso, Texas
    Vehicle:
    11 SR5 4x4
    Mean while I am still with the chirping at 84K for the past 30K miles.. some dude has been in the forum has been chirping for the past 200K miles and has done nothing about it and he still has no problems. I've learned to ignore the chirp and at times it even goes quiet for weeks at a time. What baffles me is how the sound can come and go? It seems to be at loudest in the winter.. but for periods of time the chirp goes away. I'm hoping that the chirping is not actually doing damage and hope to get 200K plus on the truck

scottalot likes this.
  10. Sep 28, 2016 at 7:44 AM
    hladun

hladun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Have a look at the picture on page 5 of this thread. Do you feel lucky...? The TOB wobbles due to lack of preload...sometimes it squeaks sometimes it doesn't. Here's your bet... $15 in parts or possibly a major, expensive clutch and possibly transmission repair. Your choice.

Taco '09 thanks again for your post, GC is on the warpath again that the TOB's don't always turn.

Richiep, to more clearly comment on your post what you did was push the master cylinder piston past the reservoir port. This keeps the fluid in the master/slave cylinders under pressure and preloads the TOB in that way. If in time you have any fluid loss by leakage from this closed system you'll have trouble disengaging the clutch. That might have been the reason for your 2/3 shift problems.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    scottalot likes this.
  11. Sep 28, 2016 at 8:36 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    scottalot likes this.
  12. Sep 28, 2016 at 9:50 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    @gearcruncher , I was looking through your other thread, and found that the link to the URD sleeve kit is not longer valid. Although still available on their site, the link brings you to an error page on their site.

Also, years ago, that sleeve kit was found by a member on XRU. I didn't frequent here. It wasn't a month or so which past, and URD had a contract with them and was selling the kit. As a sort of one stop shop. Still retains the same picture between the two companies even.

scottalot likes this.
  13. Sep 28, 2016 at 8:06 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    scottalot likes this.
  14. Sep 28, 2016 at 9:45 PM
    Mariotaco

Mariotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    El Paso, Texas
    Vehicle:
    11 SR5 4x4
    You replaced the tranny? How is that comforting

scottalot likes this.
  15. Sep 29, 2016 at 4:32 AM
    richiep

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NY
    Vehicle:
    The tranny was grinding between 2nd & 3rd! had nothing to do with clutch pedal adjustment!
    you can look up the TSB for that!

16. Sep 29, 2016 at 4:47 AM
    richiep

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Just to be clear, I adjusted the pedal slightly & the chirp went away, I had no issues for 160,000 miles. The shift issue was there before I adjusted the pedal. I replaced the tranny at 200,000 miles along with the clutch & throw out bearing. The clutch & flywheel were in great shape!
    Toyota's new throw out bearing seams to be much better, 35,000 miles, no preload, no chirp!

I just wanted people to know my experience, it worked for me.
    I'm not looking to argue or convince anybody to do this.

scottalot likes this.
  17. Mar 21, 2017 at 5:50 PM
    bartholomew07

bartholomew07 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB Sport 4x4 6 spd
    'm convinced the PRD kit is the way to go, I'm so sick of the dang noise I want it fixed for good and the right way. There are so many threads on here about this problem, I wish everyone knew about this easy and relatively inexpensive fix

scottalot likes this.
  18. Mar 23, 2017 at 8:06 PM
    hladun

hladun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    If you consider $500 and trans out easy and inexpensive then go for it. I consider a few bucks and 1 hour easy and inexpensive.

scottalot likes this.
  19. Mar 24, 2017 at 8:22 AM
    bartholomew07

bartholomew07 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB Sport 4x4 6 spd
    I thought all these guys were saying it was more like $200?
    My truck has 65k on it so I would wait until it was time to replace the clutch to make it worth while

scottalot likes this.
  20. Mar 24, 2017 at 8:41 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab

Products Discussed in

To Top