1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Great things you did when you were a kid.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Rupp1, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Apr 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 [OP] "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Thought it would be fun to see what everyone else was doing.

I’ll start with one.

When I was about 12 or 13, three of my best friends and I went on the first and only “Annual Camp out”. We grabbed our gear, whatever we thought we needed, and headed out back of my parents house. We had over 100 acres and that was connected to hundreds of other acres in Upstate NY. We used plastic sleds and backpacks, and just started walking. Eventually we found a spot and set up a base camp. We had plenty of food, plenty of firewood, and plenty of fun. We had a few pup tents with us so we went out on adventures, exploring and just wandering about. We would set up satellite camps for the night and return to base the next day. All of us carved out some miniature bows and made some arrows just for something to do. We stayed out in the woods by ourselves for 7 days. Somewhere near day 4 we ran out of fresh water, so we did cheat and sneak back to the house in the middle of the night, got our water and left again, but I remember that week as one of the best in my childhood.

I’m sure there are some great stories out there from when you were a kid, let’s hear them.

2. Apr 5, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    Went on a camping trip with the family to Canada (Bay of Fundy area) when I was 13 or so. My dad decided we should all do this lame "Scary Potter's Night Walk" which involved some dickhead ranger walking us around the woods in pitch black conditions, constantly "shh"ing us so we can listen to the sounds of the night. There were about 40 people in the group, we couldn't see but more than 1 foot in front of us due to the dark so we all had to make a "train" or conga line so we wouldn't get separated. It lasted the good part of two hours with constant stops because the ranger heard a russle in the woods and wanted us to be quiet and listen as he tried to make animal calls to get it to call back.

When we stopped at a certain spot, the ranger asked us in a faint whisper to not make a peep because he heard an owl hooting not too far away. After about 20 seconds of dead silence, the owl hooted again and everyone lit up with excitement when they heard it and began to murmur to each other. The ranger immediately "shh"ed everyone in a condecending way and we all waited again to hear a dumb owl in complete silence. I decided this was it, time to be a man Zach. I pushed as hard as I could and released the most powerful fart I could muster up. This beast echoed through the woods and was probably the only sound for miles around. As I tried to keep from laughing so I could keep my identity a secret, the tour group collectively lost their shit and went into hysterics - the park ranger was not a happy camper and tried to pretend it didn't happen while trying to "shh" us, claiming if we make too much noise, the local animals would run away. The rest of the tour involved everyone trying to keep quiet to listen to stupid leaves russle. When we would all stop at the next spot to listen, someone would begin to chuckle which led to everyone starting up again. Not a soul knew I did it, except for one person.

My Dad knew immediately who did it and pat me on the back. I got to have my first real beer at the camp fire when we got back to the site.

3. Apr 5, 2013 at 5:50 AM
    rickmeseke

rickmeseke subaru of america

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    I threw sand in a girls eyes in recess in elementary school

Told her to get me my lunchbox and she refused

Products Discussed in