1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grey wire mod

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 2003greenbean, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Aug 16, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    iDigTulsa

iDigTulsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    03 DoubleCab TRD SR5 4x4
    Free Alarm Mod, Grey Wire Mod, Reverse Leaf Spring Helper Mod, Kenwood Deck, Memphis 10'', Yakima Roof Rack, Debadged Sides,Silver Toyota Skid Plate, Injen CIA, 3.5'' Amsoil Dry Filter, 17 x 7.5 Tundra Split Spoke Alloy's
    Way to Thread Jack a 1st Gen. discussion with your fancy 2nd Gen. Tacoma and all 9 of it's futuristic acronym drive modes!!!

Someday when my 1st Gen. eventually dies I will get one of the newer Tacoma's, but one can only imagine what they will be like a few decades from now. ;)

2. Aug 16, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    You are right, I am sorry!

3. Aug 16, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    iDigTulsa

iDigTulsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    03 DoubleCab TRD SR5 4x4
    Free Alarm Mod, Grey Wire Mod, Reverse Leaf Spring Helper Mod, Kenwood Deck, Memphis 10'', Yakima Roof Rack, Debadged Sides,Silver Toyota Skid Plate, Injen CIA, 3.5'' Amsoil Dry Filter, 17 x 7.5 Tundra Split Spoke Alloy's
    David you have no need to apologize, I'm just giving you a hard time!! Your truck is absolutely awesome by the way, it's taken you to places that I can only dream about, far away from the somewhat "hilly" region of Oklahoma we call Tulsa.

I was checking out your Baja trips earlier and I am convinced that my soon-to-be wife and I will visit San Borja at some point before we have kids, that mission is amazing! Baja could only be easier for me now that I have completed the Grey Wire Mod now right?!?!?!(The mission is located in Post #4 in the link below for those of you that have your interest peaked, but the whole trip log is stunning.)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/travel/76126-baja-california-tacoma-travel-7-09-a.html

MainerDave19995VZ likes this.
  4. Aug 16, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    There is a Baja history buff in Oklahoma that makes trips to Baja to explore the mission sites... He has shared photos with me for my Baja Missions web page (Kevin Clough)... It is a LONG way to come, bit totally rewarding.

San Borja is a great site to visit and the family that lives there are great. You can arrange mule back tours or guide service with Jose to many sites in the area. Beautiful Bahia de los Angeles is nearby and has many attractions and activities for fishing, swimming, exploring... It is great for kids, too.

See more San Borja and L.A. Bay photos at www.VivaBaja.com/bedman2 (Bedman is a friend who was in the mattress buisness). A photo of my '01 Tacoma on the San Borja road is in there from about 8 years ago.

MainerDave19995VZ likes this.
  5. Sep 30, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    00tactrouble

00tactrouble Active Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota tac prerun
    New Dakota A/T tires in 31x10.50-15", 2 coat Rhino Liner on the the bed, Mossy Oak package interior, 8" bazooka system pumping my jams, Platinum system plugs underneath the hood with Gates belts keeping it turning, 6" deckplate mod and amsoil is keeping this thing lubed year around.
    Ok let me get this right, if my truck (2000 yota pre-runner 3.4l v6) is in fact a TRD then I do have the opt. to do the grey wire mod? I have read several to all the post and some say yes and others say no. Toyota wikipedia:"Prerunner Tacomas also had the option of the TRD Off-Road package which (like the 4x4) got a rear differential locker if it was a V6 model." I am going to google my vin and see if I have the TRD, when I purchased the truck it had no sticker so would like to know if I do or not.

6. Sep 30, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Do you push a button on the left side of the dash marked R/R DIFF ?

To engage your locker ? & if you are a pre runner TRD w/locker & not 4x4 then you don't need the grey wire MOD , this MOD is for the TRD 4x's only so you can lock diff in 2wd High range, 4wd High range.

Go register at www.toyotaonwnersonline.com with your VIN

7. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Weird... he says he has a PreRunner (2WD), so the next step is for him to see if he has a rear locking differential... There is two ways... Go under the truck and look at the top/front of his diff. and see if there is an e-locker attached to it... or (even easier) look at his dash (see Doug's post) and there will be a button 'RR DIFF LOCK'!!!!!!! The 2WD Tacomas with a locker don't have the restricted use of it that we 4WDs have (only works for us in LOW RANGE 4WD).

The grey wire mod or the relay mod is for 4WD Off Road TRD Tacomas so they can lock the rear anytime.

8. Oct 1, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    00tactrouble

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota tac prerun
    New Dakota A/T tires in 31x10.50-15", 2 coat Rhino Liner on the the bed, Mossy Oak package interior, 8" bazooka system pumping my jams, Platinum system plugs underneath the hood with Gates belts keeping it turning, 6" deckplate mod and amsoil is keeping this thing lubed year around.

9. Oct 1, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC

10. Oct 3, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    00tactrouble

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota tac prerun
    :sadviolin: Ok David, I went ahead and checked and no luck. Looks like I have a "prerunner" with no locker, either way could not miss out on the deal that was presented to me. Thanks for the info, I have not the decktop mod since I was last hear so that is cool.:burnrubber:

11. Oct 25, 2010 at 9:17 PM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    Wow there's a lot of people that just can't seem to understand how this mod works, or what it's for...driving me crazy! I decided to quit reading and do it. Like most have said, did it in under 25 minutes, and no problems. I'm excited to see how far a locked rear will get me before I have to put it in 4wd. Thanks guys.

12. Oct 26, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    That is great... please report back your findings!

13. Oct 26, 2010 at 8:54 PM
    mortuusangelus

mortuusangelus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    no truck now :(
    Locked rear, 2-Lo got me through all of the East property green trails and the rock garden (think it's a shorty black trail) at Rausch Creek this past Sunday. Though 4-Lo does offer a bit more control on the down hills.. :D

14. Oct 27, 2010 at 2:31 AM
    HawaiianTaco18

HawaiianTaco18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Double Cab
    Hmmmmmm new to tw, I got a 98 Tacoma "limited edition" with elocker.... hopefully has the same 4x4 computer we shall see tomorrow.... i'll update everyone if i grow a new lawn ornament ;)

15. Oct 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    03TRDtacotrucker

03TRDtacotrucker No Road. No Problem.

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Vehicle:
    03 SC double cab TRD SR5 4X4
    TRD supercharger, URD 7th injector, Map 3 ECU, 2.2 URD pulley, Doug Thorley headers, Bear River tru performance hi flow cat, 18" Magnaflow muffler, 6" fabtech lift, 33" Goodyear wrangler tires, the old all pro tube rear bumper, ARB front bumper with smitty built 8k winch, pro comp krawlers 87 series wheels, roof rack, 60" hi-lift jack, K&N intake, grey wire mod, front and rear diff breather mod, G2-performance 4.56 gears w/ royal purple oil, red top optima battery, PreRunner Tiregate with full size spare, Radflo front coilovers, Custom home made front skid plate, rear bilstein 5150 series shocks, Elite sliders w/o kick, Camburg UCA, mech grill with old school TOYOTA logo, ash tray removal Cobra CB radio w/ Firestik - List as of 1-17-18
    this is awesome cant wait to do to my 03 when i get home thanks for the post!!!

16. Oct 29, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    betardfoosier

betardfoosier Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD SR5
    3" Skyjacker, 33x10.50 AT/TAs
    Guys, first of all, if you don't know what a locker is or what you need it for, or whether you even have one, please don't do this mod, you probably won't need it. not to be a dick, but don't be modifying vehicles you know nothing about. Makes it hard for people like me to find clean, unmolested tacos.

Second, the abs is disabled whenever locker is engaged, read your owners manuals.

17. Oct 30, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    mortuusangelus

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    Well if you don't play with it, you'll never find out what it does. :D

18. Oct 30, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    crazyasu45

crazyasu45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB 4X4 TRD SPORT
    3" SUSPENSION LIFT
    but don't be modifying vehicles you know nothing about. Makes it hard for people like me to find clean, unmolested tacos.

LMAO!!!

Second, the abs is disabled whenever locker is engaged, read your owners manuals.[/quote]

My ABS light has been on since I purchased my vehicle (2 yrs ago)...Thought it was malfunctioning speed sensors...Had Toyota Run diagnostics and it turns out to be the ABS Unit itself ($1,700.00) :eek: Who needs ABS anways haha...I think I'm just gonna pull the ABS fuse...

19. Oct 30, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    mortuusangelus

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    That's what I've done. The stupid switch/sensor for my rear locker went bad, after I locked the rear.. so it won't unlock. Soooo... ABS fuse pulled. :D Keeps the damn brakes from screwing with me when I try to stop.

20. Dec 3, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    vantaco

vantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco Xtracab TRD Step Side
    question on having the rear end locked....you really only want to have the rear end locked when you are going straight correct?

obviously not used on pavement.....but say you're coming up a driveway in the snow and there's a sharp turn etc, now mostlikely the back end would just slide out a bit or just turn the locker off?

really it's purpose is for off roading, getting unstuck......or just having some donuts fun in snow and mud where you want the back end to slide out

Products Discussed in

To Top