1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grey wire mod

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 2003greenbean, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Feb 5, 2014 at 8:42 AM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Also, try to cycle through 4hi, 4lo, and the locker once a month. Keeps things running smooth.

2. Feb 6, 2014 at 3:01 PM
    Rebel Taco Man

Rebel Taco Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2002 Manual TRD SR5 4x4
    Bilsteins front and rear, Eibachs up front, 2" Toytec AAL in rear, Diff Drop, Grey Wire Mod
    The grey wire coming out of the plug, I removed all of the tape covering the wires. and pulled the grey one out of the bunch and cut it about 4 inches from the plug. then attached my new wire to the end coming out of the plug and grounded it. correct? or do I ground the opposite end of what I done? the last time i engaged it was last summer. we are in about 4" of snow and weve had a really cold winter where i live so im thinking it might be froze up right now. cause i have put it back to stock and everything functions properly but the light never engages solid when in 4lo but i havent acutally tried the wide s turns to make my truck flex a little either. I dont know what is going on. how likely is it that it could be froze from the weather we have right now? my truck stays outside.

Now just to clearify, everything to this moment is plugged back together like it came from factory. when the truck is put in 4lo and the RRDIFF switch is pressed the light comes on and flashes like its supposed to but the locker never engages. the light continues to flash. when the truck is in 2hi it flashes about every 3 seconds instead of every second like it always has so i know the connections are good, the locker just isnt engaging at all right now.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  3. Feb 23, 2014 at 9:38 PM
    Rebel Taco Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2002 Manual TRD SR5 4x4
    Bilsteins front and rear, Eibachs up front, 2" Toytec AAL in rear, Diff Drop, Grey Wire Mod
    Newest update on the locker situation. My actuator was corroded and full of mud sand dirt and rust. took a little bit of prying to get it off my axle but took it apart soaked the insides real nice with some liquid wrench and the piles of rust and corrosion started falling out. then took the spring assembly the whole armature thing out of the housing and cleaned it all up really good. and the actuator works like a charm. just one little problem, when I put it back into the axle it wouldnt engage the rack that locks them together. so we pulled it back off to find a nice crack also in the top part of the housing where the little stater and worm gear are located. so I am taking it to the shop teacher at the school tomorrow to see if he can weld it back together. he said it should be fine. but other than that I should have my Grey Wire Mod, and fresh working locker back on and functioning by Tuesday! haha its been an adventure.

4. Feb 23, 2014 at 10:04 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Longest grey wire MOD ever...:p haha hey it happens tho', it's just too simple a process for it to go so batshit without it being other issues, curious, why didn't you check to make sure your locker was working properly before doing the MOD ? (I ask because sounds like you haven't engaged it for awhile) But your def. on the right track...:thumbsup:

5. Feb 25, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    Rebel Taco Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2002 Manual TRD SR5 4x4
    Honestly I dont know. it was late when I did it haha. but yea, I knew last summer it worked cause I did some reading about it and found out that it only worked in 4lo so I wanted to check and see if mine was still functioning and at the time it was. I should have done the mod a long time ago when I had planned to but chickened out. but after getting my housing welded back together and re-assembly everything functions properly. the Grey wire was a success, SO MY REGARDS TO EVERYONE DOING THIS MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! check to make sure that your locker is not in a bind if you must remove it for maintenance, make sure it is not in a bind when re-installing otherwise you will crack the cheap aluminum housing, turning a 10 min. project into a 3 day project. but my housing has been welded back together, the trade school shop teacher hooked me up, free of charge to weld it back together. also used a crap ton of gasket maker to seal it up to keep corrosion out this time, also covered the weld with JB Weld SteelStik to ensure no leaks there.

6. Feb 25, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    I had very similar issues with mine, but my locker was never used by the previous owner resulting in a completely failed assembly. Luckily I got a working actuator off a donor truck.

7. Feb 25, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    PcBuilder14

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Very lucky, those things aren't cheap! Haha

8. Feb 25, 2014 at 9:56 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I did the grey wire mod last week. My locker must be gummed up. The PO never used it so it makes the noise, but doesn't engage. The 4.30 diff I have has the actuator on it so I will test that one before putting it in and hope it works.

9. Feb 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM
    PcBuilder14

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    I'd seriously look into taking apart your current one. I bet it just needs to soak in some cleaner and be regreased. Then just turn around and sell it for like $400.

10. Feb 25, 2014 at 10:11 AM
    Rebel Taco Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2002 Manual TRD SR5 4x4
    Corroded Locker.jpg
    This is the inside of the locker as soon as I pulled it off. thats why it wasnt working in the first place.

Top Piece Cracked Housing.jpg
    This is where The Piece broke off, the next one is with the broken piece removed.

Top Cracked Housing.jpg

11. Feb 25, 2014 at 10:12 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I'm going to keep it for a spare. I will get it working though.

12. Mar 9, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    lostsurfer2011

lostsurfer2011 Active Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Did the grey wire mod to my 99 taco last night. Works like a charm. Sick mod. Props to whoever figured it out. Thanks!

13. Mar 12, 2014 at 12:04 PM
    alphabravo

alphabravo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Supercharger AntiDark Hood Light Redline Tuning Hood Struts Morimoto Projectors Grey Wire Mod Tundra 13WL Brake Conversion EBC ED Pads and GD Rotors Mean Green Starter DC Power 250A Alternator Odyssey PC2150 Battery, Artec Cage ADS shocks Total Chaos UCA ComeUp Winch, Factor 55 Splicer Relentless bumpers OTRATTW Switches, Bussman 15304-2-2-4 RTMR, Paranoid Fabrication switch brackets Jensen JHD3630BT Morimoto XB LED Fogs Deaver Custom Springs Ivan Stewart TRD Wheels, Pro Series TRD Wheels
    Do you have to cut the gray wire? Why can't you just tap into the gray wire with one of these and then ground the other end? It seems like a cleaner job.

Also has anyone though about installing a flip cover over the diff lock switch? I'm a bit paranoid that someone (me) might hit the switch accidentally at speed. It is actually easy to get it mixed up with the Power Boost switch. I can't really think of a clean way of doing this tho in the stock location.

Thanks in advance.

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2266845w345.jpg

pRS1C-2266845w345.jpg

14. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM
    andy255255

andy255255 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma V6 Manual

Alphabravo, I wouldn't worry about a protected switch as my experience with the grey wire mod will only let the locker attempt to actuate when the vehicle speed is below 5mph in any transfer case setting. If it is pressed when above 5mph it just flashes (and is not trying to engage) until you slow down to <5mph and then it will engage with the light going solid.

If this is not the experience of others please let me know as I find the speed limit annoying personally... maybe I messed something up like usual!

As far as not cutting the wire I did same thing you mentioned, but also removed the pin from the connector as I wasn't sure if the mod would be messed up with the ground also going to the control module through the pin. That way I could put the pin back and remove the ground in the future to undo the mod if desired.

Andy

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  15. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:29 PM
    PcBuilder14

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    I've never tried to engage the locker over 5mph as I do not want to grenade the diff. So I have no clue whether or not mine attempts to lock over mph. There's a reason for the speed limit though, too fast and it will destroy your diff when trying to lock....

16. Mar 15, 2014 at 10:28 AM
    lostsurfer2011

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    As posted. I did the grey wire mod last week. Took a trip this weekend and my cruise control won't set. Do y'all think there is any relation between the two and maybe that's why my cruise control won't set now?

17. Mar 15, 2014 at 11:11 AM
    PcBuilder14

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Unless you grounded it to something that controls the cruise or accidentally clipped another wire is shouldn't have anything to with it.

18. Mar 15, 2014 at 2:05 PM
    lostsurfer2011

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    I mean I clipped the grey wire. Grounded it out to the bolt that holds the 4wd computer.

19. Mar 15, 2014 at 2:07 PM
    PcBuilder14

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    That's exactly what I did, and cruise control still works fine :notsure:

20. Mar 15, 2014 at 3:25 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I did the grey wire mod and now my cruise control won't work either! Pretty sure it screwed up when I installed the supercharger though.

Products Discussed in

To Top