1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grinding noise in rear end

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by nrspence, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Dec 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    nrspence

nrspence [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Monroe, Utah
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma
    OME 881/bilstein 5100's JBA upper control arms. All pro expo leafs rough country 2.0 rear shocks.
    I have an 08 2.7L regular cab 4x4 tacoma with 38,000 miles on it. I bought the truck with 500 miles on it. I installed a 3 inch tough country lift with the add a leaf in the rear six months ago. Every since i installed the lift I here a grinding vibrating noise somewhere in the rear half of my truck when I let off the gas pedal or push in the clutch when im going over 55 mph. When im pushing on the gas pedal i don't get any noise and the truck sounds fine. I only get the noise when im coasting or off the gas. I thought it might be the driveline angle because of the lift so i installed 3 degree shims, but the shims did not solved the problem. The rear differental is stock and all i've done to it is change the oil 8 thousand miles ago to full synthetic, so i can not imagine that is the problem. Has anyone had a similar problem or does anyone have any ideas what is makeing the grinding vibrating noise? Thanks

2. Dec 6, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    I've had this exact same problem since my 2.5" lift. It is exactly as u explain. I have no idea what it is. I even had lower gears installed and it still does it. It seems to me like a vibration that is dampened once power is given to it. Anyone else have this problem or know what it is?

3. Dec 6, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    another thread said that flipping the driveshaft has often helped this problem. How would this make a difference? I'm slightly mechanically challenged :notsure:

4. Dec 6, 2010 at 3:36 PM
    ryber

ryber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    kitchener, ontario
    Vehicle:
    06 Reg Cab 4X4
    285/75/16 MTZ's.... OME lift(885s)...4:88 gears.... Front and rear ARB.... Homemade skids
    This is a common noise with the reg cabs, especially lifted ones, but stock guys have had the noise as well.. I got it after i installed my OME lift. It is definitely vibration in the drive shaft.
    I did a ton of seaching on the subject when I got it and found people were getting rid of it by flipping there driveshafts, and some were having sucess with shims and going with a tom woods drive shaft. I decided to do the flip since it was free and it worked perfect.......for awhile, abut 10k miles or so later it started to come back. Ive got shims but havent installed them yet.

5. Dec 6, 2010 at 5:03 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    May have something to do with driveshaft balance.

When you rotate the shaft, your basically trying to find a better high/low spot to equal out the vibrations instead of having a high/high spot where you can feel the vibes.

6. Dec 6, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    nrspence

nrspence [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Monroe, Utah
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma
    OME 881/bilstein 5100's JBA upper control arms. All pro expo leafs rough country 2.0 rear shocks.
    Well i have the 3 degree shims installed like i mentioned above. I fliped the driveshaft tonight and took my truck for a drive, the vibration is gone. So for now the driveshaft flip has worked. I do not think with my add a leaf i really need the shims, but ill leave them in since im planning on upgrading to OME Dakar springs in the near future. Thanks for the everyones feedback.

7. Jun 21, 2018 at 8:04 AM
    Blais03

Blais03 Guess I'll bring a spare wheel bearing...

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Easthampton MA
    Vehicle:
    '08 Reg. Cab 4WD + '06 Reg. Cab 2WD
    Anyone ever find the best fix for this?

8. Feb 25, 2021 at 10:00 AM
    Foster4x4

Foster4x4 Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    21’ DCSB MT, 07' RCLB MT
    Alu-Cab Canopy Camper, OME BP-51s, DD PRO FOGS, 17" rims with 285K02s.
    I am having the same problem. Put in OME bp-51 and medium Dakar packs. It might be important to note that this kit lifted the rear 5” not 2”, and has settled in at about 4”. Way more than I ever wanted. Now I have a grinding noise, mostly at highway speed, any time the drivetrain is unweighted (when I let off the gas).

Does anyone have more updates or ideas on this?

9. Feb 25, 2021 at 9:46 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    Whenever you get a lift kit for a regular cab, add another 1" to the advertised lift as our trucks are a lot lighter than the v6 Tacomas that the lifts are designed for. Your dakars will probably settle to 3.5" tho. Still pretty good rake tho lol

The grinding is going to be your driveshaft. Regular cab driveshafts have a slip joint that is notorious for that grinding sound when going +40mph and letting off the gas to coast. The permanent solution is getting a new driveshaft, usually Tom Woods, with a double cardan joint. The temporary solution is pulling the slip joint apart and heavily greasing the splines and then putting it back together.

BassAckwards likes this.
  10. Feb 26, 2021 at 2:01 AM
    super_white

super_white Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4X4
  11. Feb 26, 2021 at 1:54 PM
    localonthe8s

localonthe8s Active Member

Member:
    dakar pack, shims didnt work, flipping the driveshaft did, a year and a half later im getting serious axle wrap now since last week. anyone experience this? i get serious clunking

12. Apr 26, 2021 at 8:30 PM
    Foster4x4

Foster4x4 Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    21’ DCSB MT, 07' RCLB MT
    An update on my truck...

turns out the bp-51 kit is not compatible with my truck even thought shock surplus said it was.

My transfer case was destroyed. I ended up having to take the lift out and put a stock suspension back in.

before giving up I tried a tom woods drive shaft and leaf pack shims. Nothing made the noise any better.

what a s#%& show.

13. Apr 29, 2021 at 8:12 PM
    hexnutter

hexnutter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    doug
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I just bought a 2012 with a 2" lift, I didnt realize it was making that noise until I bought it and got it on the highway. Its a reg cab, your situation sounds horrible, sorry to hear that. I was reading tom woods driveshaft should solve that problem.

14. Apr 30, 2021 at 4:31 AM
    Foster4x4

Foster4x4 Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    21’ DCSB MT, 07' RCLB MT
    I bought a Tom Woods and it didn’t help mine, but I still have mine if you want to give it a shot. Just pay shipping and it’s yours.

15. Apr 30, 2021 at 8:50 AM
    hexnutter

Member:
    First Name:
    doug
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Ok guys I have an idea and I wanted to see what you thought. Two things.
    When you lift the engine goes up and the angle of the drive shaft increases. This puts excessive wear on the U joint, under load no noise then not under load theres slop. That slop translates into vibration at high speeds. Thats why when people reverse the drive shaft noise goes away, the forward U joint doesnt have the slop (and why eventually this solution doesnt work as that U joint fails too). Second, now theres 1/2" of drive shaft missing and the slip joint doesnt allow the splines to seat properly. Basically you need a drive shaft that accommodates the new angle and makes up for the missing 1/2" of the drive shaft. You need a custom drive shaft, its sucks that is didnt work for some, and would mean Im wrong.

16. Jun 11, 2021 at 5:11 PM
    ROAD DOG

ROAD DOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 I4 WHITE SR PRERUNNER
    FEW

changing the angle of the differential canStarve the rear compnents

the angle is designed/engineered

ideally the angle at the diff & transfer case should be the same static level

when the diff is rotated m o r e vertical

less oil gets on the pinion

less oil gets to the outer axle bearings

17. Jun 12, 2021 at 7:35 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    Mine has done this since I bought it in 2011. I've put 152k miles on it since and nothing's changed. Early on I was trying to get rid of the sound and found that the splines of the slip joint are relatively loose, but tend to get tighter as the driveshaft is compressed, which is why the grind goes away with a load in the bed.

Annoying, but I don't think it causes any long term issues.

whatstcp likes this.
  18. Jun 14, 2021 at 4:03 PM
    nickonfire700

nickonfire700 Reg. Cab Nation Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab SR5 4x4
    Satoshi grill, 3rd Gen TRDOR Bucket Seats, TRD front skid plate, TRD Beadlock Wheels, TRD Exhaust, OEM bed mat, LCE Header, LCE Balance Shaft Delete, ECGS front diff bushing, TRD Sport LSD rear diff, Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport fog lights, Stainless Steel Brake-lines, No A/C with Defrost mod, 2014 OEM Radio, Illuminating 4x4 switch, Various LEDs, UWS Toolbox, Proven Design Products Mudflaps, Bilstein 8112 front Coilovers w/ rear Bilstein 5125's/IronMan lift leaf springs, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers, JBAs HD UCAs, SOS Bolt-On rock sliders, TRD bedside decals, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, Relocated rear diff breather, 2019 Steering wheel, color matched door handles
    Sent you a PM about the driveshaft.

Edit: What helped with the grinding noise with my driveshaft was adding a spacer in between the rear diff and the rear most flange of the driveshaft (about 0.5 inches to 0.75 inches in width would be perfect). The noise is mostly gone, but I the spacer has screwed with the balance of the driveline.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  19. Jun 16, 2021 at 7:39 AM
    hexnutter

Member:
    First Name:
    doug
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    So I spoke with the folks at Tom Woods and they said the only thing that will get damaged and you will go through is the driveshaft.
    Some of these Tacomas I heard were like this strait from the dealership.

Products Discussed in

To Top