1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Griots Poly Gloss

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by cvisinho, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Dec 6, 2018 at 6:48 AM
    cvisinho

cvisinho [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport DCSB new frame edition
    Bilstein 5100's, Eibach springs, Cali Raised Amber fogs,Cali Raised side projecting ditch lights, 17" gunmetal trd pro reps w/ falken wildpeaks, MESO interior lighting, Alpine ilx Android auto head unit, rear view camera, blue sea fuse panel, mbrp cat back, Morimoto retros in Depos, Ranch cap, triple black clazzios, DIY thin lip satoshi with FJ letters, oem roof rack, AJT climate knobs, slim sub behind rear seat, fosgate speakers all around, thule cap rack
  2. Dec 12, 2018 at 8:12 AM
    usernotfound

usernotfound Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '20 4Runner TRD OR
    After reading multiple reviews, I'm very curious. Hate to spend $25 testing, but it sounds like it might be worth it. I'll update this post after application.

3. Dec 14, 2018 at 7:58 AM
    Murphinator

Murphinator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    I watched a few videos on this stuff and their foaming surface cleaner.

This stuff seems to work, I ordered a bottle of each to try them out.

4. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:17 AM
    cvisinho

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's, Eibach springs, Cali Raised Amber fogs,Cali Raised side projecting ditch lights, 17" gunmetal trd pro reps w/ falken wildpeaks, MESO interior lighting, Alpine ilx Android auto head unit, rear view camera, blue sea fuse panel, mbrp cat back, Morimoto retros in Depos, Ranch cap, triple black clazzios, DIY thin lip satoshi with FJ letters, oem roof rack, AJT climate knobs, slim sub behind rear seat, fosgate speakers all around, thule cap rack
    finally ordered a bottle of surface cleaner and poly gloss.

Now i wait for non freezing temps.

5. Jan 13, 2019 at 4:10 PM
    Murphinator

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    I just used the surface cleaner and poly gloss. I used 2 oz of surf cleaner in an almost full foam cannon bottle of water. Would not do that again, probably just fill the foamcannon half way up with water, or if I am going to fill it up all the way I would use 4oz. So I didn’t really get a good foam with just 2 oz. Cannot say how well the product really works.

For the poly gloss I filled the foam cannon with 500 ml of water (half bottle) and 2 oz of poly gloss. It was more than I needed to do the truck, which is not a problem. I could tell it worked because when spraying the product off you could see a film under the surface bubbles that washed away with the high pressure water. As far as water beading it may have added a tiny bit more, but my truck already has a good sealant on it so I am hoping the poly gloss helps protect the sealant even more.

6. Jan 13, 2019 at 4:26 PM
    Murphinator

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    Also one thing I forgot to mention with the poly gloss, be careful when spraying it on the truck if the wind is blowing. Very nasty feeling on the skin, can’t be good for you. Or who knows maybe when I take a shower tonight my arms are going to bead water like crazy.

Hiloboy96720 likes this.
  7. Jan 14, 2019 at 3:04 AM
    cvisinho

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    Good to know. I am just hoping it's a solid maintenance wash product to cut down on all the handwashes when not 100% needed.

8. Jan 14, 2019 at 6:20 AM
    Murphinator

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    You need to use the surface wash then before any dirt can bake onto the paint. Or dont let the dirt get wet and dry a bunch. If you don’t let that happen the surface wash will be perfect. Then I would use a glass cleaner then apply the poly gloss.

9. Jan 14, 2019 at 8:03 AM
    cvisinho

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    I usually handwash every weekend if i can so the truck would be fairly spotless. It is also ceramic coated at the moment. I plan to strip, polish and re coat with something in the spring so these 2 products will be solely for maintenance washes.

10. Jan 14, 2019 at 8:09 AM
    Murphinator

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    It sounds like these products will work good for you. I use ammo reflex topped with jescar powerlock+, and usually if my truck gets dirty as long as I wash it once a week I could probably get away with just a high pressure rinse off and then dry. It’s been cold so hard to find the will power to wash once a week, but okce it warms up that’s how I’m going to use these products.

Interested to hear how they interact with your ceramic coating, keep us posted.

cvisinho[OP] likes this.
  11. Jan 14, 2019 at 3:52 PM
    Murphinator

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    F063E79A-B22A-40C4-857C-032989F254D2.jpg
    Pic of the water beeding from the rain today. I did top the poly foam with ammo hydrate.

12. Jan 14, 2019 at 6:35 PM
    cvisinho

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    Looks good man.

13. Jan 30, 2019 at 1:40 PM
    harley128

harley128 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab V6 and 4x4
    none
    their glass polish/ protectant is supposed to be the best you can get.

14. Jan 30, 2019 at 1:49 PM
    Kabanstva

Kabanstva Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you're looking for a spray on/ rinse off sealant, just get some Carpro Hydr02.... it's the original and IMO still the best product out there. Now it seems everybody and their mother has a similar offering but I've tried a ton of other ones (only because Hydr02 is so damn expensive) and none of them even come close.

The fact that the Griot's product can't be a standalone sealant and needs re-application every 2-3 weeks says it all for me. Wouldn't even waste my money on it.

Products Discussed in

To Top