1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

-GRIPES- lets hear them

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Greybeard81, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 18, 2018 at 1:33 AM
    Greybeard81

Greybeard81 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Ok so I have had my taco for about a month now and have about 1K miles on it. Here is my gripe!!!! For being a 6 cylinder, 4x4, automatic tran, short bed sport the shifting points are horrible, also the gas peddle is squishy. For a lite truck with almost 300 HP that seams terrible. It feels like every time I come to a stop I have to really get into it and then I get a jolt. It also feels like it reves to much before shifting. I have read about the OVtune and I am not ready for all that yet. Its to new and don't want to void my warranty. When I turn on the EXP it does much better and a lot smoother.
    Outside of this I do like the truck.

I have driven a couple of vehicles that are foreign with 4 and 6 cylinder and they don't seem to have the jitters like this one....

comments.......

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Amchuge and MOC221_ like this.
  2. Jul 18, 2018 at 1:35 AM
    El Duderino

El Duderino Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    16 MGM Sport 4x4 DCSB & 19 nautical blue SR5 premium 4x4
    Stuff, things, this, an ADS
    Yea this will be getting locked soon. So I’m in before the :locked:

cshrum, Sig45 and DubfromGA like this.
  3. Jul 18, 2018 at 1:44 AM
    N2DesignsInc

N2DesignsInc --------------------------- N2 Designs, Inc. Vendor

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 that identifies itself as a 2021
    Mods: Is this still a Tacoma?
    My only gripe is with people who buy something and still have gripes. No one held a pistol to anyone’s head to force the purchase! This isn’t directed to anyone in particular, but why buy something only to complain about it? I have no gripes or regrets with my purchase. But if I have to state a gripe, then I would have to say the “MPG” complaint threads that pop up continuously on this forum. I’m sure not quite what you were looking for, but for God sakes this is a truck forum, were people expecting Prius fuel economy?

4. Jul 18, 2018 at 1:45 AM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    There is literally like 10,000 posts that start just like this can’t you just get on one of those?

I’ll save everyone else the time.

Didn’t you test drive it first?

It’ll get better as the transmission learns your style of driving.

Ok that said I have a 3rd Gen on 33’s with a 3” lift and I think mine goes GREAT!!!!!! Yes it revs a bit higher than the 4.0 but so what. Give it 5-10k miles and it’ll get much better.

BTW, I owned a 2010 second Gen, and my last 3 trucks were 3/4 Ton Rams, one with a 5.7, one with a Cummins, and one with the 6.4... so i have a pretty good grasp on trucks. This one is my favorite.

But if in 10k miles you still hate it. Please sell it and move along. Most of us are tired of the same complaints. And seriously. Did it drive different when you test drove it?

KTJO 4x4, boynoyce, honda50r and 5 others like this.
  5. Jul 18, 2018 at 1:47 AM
    xola3que

xola3que Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Valley, NJ
    2019 Tacoma Sport
  6. Jul 18, 2018 at 1:49 AM
    black coffee

black coffee A is A.

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC 4x4 SR5 V6
    IBL

DubfromGA likes this.
  7. Jul 18, 2018 at 2:01 AM
    Greybeard81

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I am sure a lot of you are tired of the same complaints but what you have to realize is that there are new members that sign up to this website everyday with valid comments and concerns.

8. Jul 18, 2018 at 2:03 AM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    You saved me the key strokes, for that I will be forever grateful.

OP, just enjoy it. You are committed now, so just let it be, gripes won’t change anything, even if there is a focus group that sympathizes with you on this forum let alone thread because Toyota didn’t make you buy it. No disrespect but I truly believe a real gripe is something or an issue/problem that happens to your vehicle that is outside your control and not caused by you. That’s when I would sound off...other than that, every vehicle has its pros and cons and you obviously either took that into consideration (and still made the best decision, yes I am bias but then again, this isn’t a Chevy, Ford or Nissan forum) or didn’t research enough before purchasing? In all honesty, I didn’t care to test drive or research Tacoma’s before I bought it out of state and had it shipped. My decision was solely based on what I got for the money spent, the Toyota name with respects to reliability, and the number of these things on the road both old and new, which was testament enough. So I have no right to gripe even if I did have one or two in my head.

With that said please fill out my survey in case Toyota is watching...maybe you’ll be able to muster up some peeps from the wood works to change the results in it:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/poll-problem-or-problem-free.557164/

9. Jul 18, 2018 at 2:12 AM
    N2DesignsInc

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Agreed to a certain point. But unfortunately that’s something to drop in to the comment or suggestion jar at the Toyota headquarters lobby. What’s the expectation on an exclusively Tacoma forum? Regretful owner’s? Or people that want insight on mods and/or actual problems? All makes and models could benefit from owner feedback like yours, which is fair and valid since it leads to improvements in future model years, but that’s better saved for the manufacturer’s survey brother. I doubt people on a forum are here to just gripe about what they hate about this vehicle because they already own it, and they’re here. You're asking enthusiasts on an exclusive forum what they hate about the vehicle that they already leased or bought?

blackrifle76 likes this.
  10. Jul 18, 2018 at 2:18 AM
    YOTA 4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    Yes, I realize that, and to be honest I'm fairly new too, as mentioned above this is an enthusiast Forum, I give out lots of advice on lift tires and mods... The only advice I can offer you is please do not title a post "-GRIPES- lets hear them" Maybe go over to a Chevy Colorado forum to gripe about Tacoma's we're all (well mostly) here because we like them. Drive it 10K as I said the transmission will learn and get better. Either way GRIPES lets hear them isn't a title that belongs on TW.

11. Jul 18, 2018 at 2:19 AM
    Catfish21

Catfish21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, Ca to Fairbanks Ak.
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR 4x4 fully locked.
    I had a heart attack reading all the grammatical errors on this. Welcome OP, it sounds like you have a great taco on your hands!

tn111, cshrum, jayuu and 2 others like this.
  12. Jul 18, 2018 at 2:26 AM
    YOTA 4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    I don't know, mine "seams" fine to me. "Reves" just fine, for a "lite" truck that is...

AeroCooper and Catfish21[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Jul 18, 2018 at 2:28 AM
    DubfromGA

DubfromGA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black SR5 4WD

What you have to realize that we were all new members at some point.

Most did our due diligence prior to purchasing something as substantial as a vehicle.

And if we didn't we chose not to air out our decision making shortcomings here.

Maybe a min-van or Ridgeline is what you'd prefer ?????

Deathray, YOTA 4X4 and Catfish21 like this.
  14. Jul 18, 2018 at 2:48 AM
    Greybeard81

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Well I am "not" going to apologize for the thread, I do like the truck and I did test drive a couple of them. I have been researching this truck since it came out "3rd Gen". I bought it bec I wanted a lite truck with 4x4 that got good gas mileage "which I get, average 20" and great resale value. So that's why I decided to join TM and purchase the truck. I know there are a lot of people on here that have great knowledge and that's why I am asking if any others have the same concerns or insight on upgrades or fixes ect.....
    Thank you

15. Jul 18, 2018 at 2:51 AM
    erics

erics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PA Slate Belt
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad 6-speed
    A standard transmission is going to "learn and get better"???

Then again, the OP's comment about "turn on the EXP it does much better and a lot smoother" makes me wonder if he knows what a standard transmission is.

OP, if you have a standard transmission, YOU control the shift points.

DubfromGA and Catfish21 like this.
  16. Jul 18, 2018 at 2:52 AM
    Avail211

Avail211 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 BBP TRD OR
    I've had mine for 2 years this month, my gripes are below:

-Haven't been able to drive it for a year because I couldn't bring it with me on my short tour.

-It's hard to keep clean because I like to take it in the red mud on Guam.

-Ugly chrome grill forced me to buy a BAMF grill to make all the other dudes on island jealous.

-Damn kids always want to ride in it to go to the beach or go a little off roading 2 seconds after I wash it.

-Gets better gas mileage than my Xterra.

DubfromGA and AeroCooper like this.
  17. Jul 18, 2018 at 2:55 AM
    YOTA 4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road

Haha. Didn’t realize it was a manual. Jeez this actually might be the first thread I’ve heard about a guy complaining about a manual. That’s my bad. Nope manual won’t learn shit. Just stretch it out a little farther. Mine doesn’t come alive until 4,000 RPM’s. I didn’t even know manuals had an EXT button.

*Edit* now it’s an auto again. Maybe the OP needs a nap.

So yes. Give it time to learn.

DubfromGA and Catfish21 like this.
  18. Jul 18, 2018 at 2:57 AM
    Hokie Taco

Hokie Taco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD OR
    :notsure:
    OP, check out SSP, it’s plug and play. Easily reversible and definitely helps with shift points. I’ve had mine for about a year and don’t think about the tranny shifting anymore. I just get in and drive.

I did a lot of research before buying my truck and knew the pros and cons. Decided I could live with the shifting but am completely happy with the truck + SSP.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...sion-shift-controller-for-gen3-tacoma.490113/

EDIT - assumed he has a AT since complaining about tranny shifting points. But now I’m unsure

19. Jul 18, 2018 at 2:58 AM
    Greybeard81

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD SPORT 4X4
    AV good catch, I am sorry that was a typo I have automatic and have edited it. thanx

20. Jul 18, 2018 at 3:00 AM
    YOTA 4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    As @erics just pointed out to me the OP has a manual..... not sure what the gripe is

*edit* nope it’s confirmed it’s an auto.

DubfromGA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top