1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GROM USB Adapter - My Review

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Priddle, May 31, 2011.

1. May 31, 2011 at 2:57 PM
    Priddle

Priddle [OP] And now for something completely different....

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    The short review: It sucks.

The long review: I've had it for a few months now. It works ok but skipping back to previous tracks often makes it freeze. I have to switch to CD and switch back to the GROM, or even turn off the deck and turn it back on. If I skip back slowly, it works but if you are skipping back 20 tracks, that can be a pain.

If the folder names are not exactly as required, it doesn't play correctly. I even had some folders named 1-10, and then 20-29 (I was reserving 11-19 for future playlists) and I couldn't select playlists correctly.

If I had my time back, I would have gotten a regular deck with the propr housing that has the USB port and a LCD display for album art. It wouldn't have been much more than the GROM.

Update: 09/23/2011
    Just to update this thread....today I applied a firmware update released by GROM last month (August) and the thing now actually works the way its suppose to. Skipping tracks back and forward works everytime, although if I hit the back button 10 times really quick, there is a lag for the unit to catch up but no big deal. And the GROM continues playing where it left off when turning the truck on after leaving the deck on. No more lock ups!

Products Discussed in

To Top