1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ground Loop Isolation

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mondata, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Feb 5, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    mondata

mondata [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    2.5" Bilstein Adjustable Struts 1.5" Rear Shackles
    I recently bought a cheap 4 channel amp to run my 4 6 1/2" speakers. I had a decent (Planet Audio) 2 channel running the front and was running the rear off the headunit but wanted to be able have control of all 4 speakers using my headunit. Instead of buying a quality 4 channel amp I bought a cheap one and now I hear all kinds of feedback.

Is my best bet to purchase 2 ground loop isolators or is there another fix? I did not know if rerunning my ground or adding an additional ground would help. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Feb 6, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sounds like you are running speaker level inputs to an amp that does not accept them, but RCA inputs. The solution is a better amp that accepts speaker level inputs or a device to convert your speaker level inputs to RCA outputs. Alternantively you may have two inut types and have RCA selected and be feeding it speaker level and need to flip a switch. Id give those scenarios 80% odds of being your problem.

3. Feb 6, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    Well...make sure that your power wire isnt close to your RCA's or speaker wires. IF they are next to each other going through the cab you can get feedback. If your sure thats not the cause then you may just have a shit amp...

4. Feb 6, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is actually pretty rare... its hard to get interferance through shielded RCA wires. Dont get me wrong... My power and RCA are on opposite sides of the truck but its just easier to route em that way.

The key to me is the phrase "all kinds of feedback" which implies its not subtle ground issue or power wire interferance, but speaker level inputs going in RCA inputs... that is the exact symptom when you do that... LOUD inferferance and whine.

Products Discussed in

To Top