1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hand or Buffer Application for Paint Sealant

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by conco, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Nov 2, 2017 at 4:20 AM
    conco

conco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    alfredo
    san juan, puerto rico
    Hi,

I normally wax my cars by hand (application and removal). I just purchase a new Black Tacoma TRD Sport. My first black car and have been reading lots of stuff about how easy is to damage the paint in black cars if not done properly. I will be applying a paint sealant soon to the truck but i was concern on using an orbital buffer (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-10-in-Orbital-Buffer-Tool-Only-P435/205975768) for the application of the sealant. Should i keep doing it by hand? Benefit other than time on using a buffer? Should i do the application or the removal of the sealant with the Buffer?

Thanks for your help and clarification with this.

AV

2. Nov 2, 2017 at 4:59 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Do not waste your money on that machine. It's a terrible machine. There is not much benefit to using a buffer to apply wax or sealant especially if you have a product that comes off easily. The real benefit is to a polisher is being able to do paint correction by removing smirks and clearcoat scratches.

Too Stroked likes this.
  3. Nov 2, 2017 at 9:05 AM
    AMarkham40

AMarkham40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB TRD O/R
    IMO, the only benefit of using a buffer when applying an LSP (wax or sealant) is the buffer being able to lay down a nice thin even coat which most products recommend. I still apply by hand though as it's easier for me to get to everything.

NMTrailRider likes this.
  4. Nov 3, 2017 at 10:42 AM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    If you apply by hand, be sure to use a sponge-type applicator and not a microfiber applicator. And on black, I’d do long stokes and not fast circular strokes. Also, be sure to “palm” the applicator pad and don’t concentrate pressure with finger tips. You want nice even pressure across the face of the pad. That is sometimes hard to do by hand without constant attention. For that reason alone, I might suggest that an orbital would have less risk of causing swirls. By hand, we inadvertently put lots of pressure on a pad with our fingertips. With a DA this won’t be a problem, as downward pressure is much less and more evenly dispersed.

5. Nov 3, 2017 at 6:01 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    If you’re just looking for something to put down wax/sealant, the Griots 3” polisher is great. Paired with 3” pads that taper to 4” (Rupes 4” white pads), it’s a great tool for spreading sealant. You can get one with a 25’ cord from Autogeek for about $115. Maybe less on a sale.

6. Nov 5, 2017 at 2:46 PM
    equalme

equalme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, KS
    Vehicle:
    GX470
    3" buffer? You'll be there all day. Basic 6" Griot DA can be had for around the same price.

7. Nov 5, 2017 at 3:44 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Not like you are correcting paint. For spreading a sealant it will be fine.

NMTrailRider likes this.
  8. Nov 5, 2017 at 4:10 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    For spreading products (not correction work) the 3” is actually preferable to the 6”. It gets into more nooks and crannies due to its size, it’s lighter weight, etc. It actually makes the job faster considering you’d have to go back and finish some areas by hand if you were using larger pads on a 6” polisher.

Steves104x4 likes this.
  9. Nov 5, 2017 at 7:06 PM
    equalme

Member:
    Kansas City, KS
    Vehicle:
    GX470
    The 3” makes sense for nooks and crannies but not for an entire vehicle, especially a truck. Doing it all by hand would probably be faster than using the 3”. There is no differentiation on DA machine between paint correction and sealant application, the difference is type of pad and the compound. Applying sealant is no different than wax. Use a 6” DA to apply the wax to 95% of the vehicle, a 3” for the nooks and crannies, then a microfiber towel to buff the haze away.

10. Nov 5, 2017 at 7:09 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    Paint correction is going to require multiple passes with potentially multiple products applying a seal at not so much.

11. Nov 5, 2017 at 7:18 PM
    equalme

Member:
    Kansas City, KS
    Vehicle:
    GX470
    Kind of stating the obvious. So you’re telling a person to buy a 3” polisher to specifically apply sealant in which it is likely faster to do by hand then, of course it is going to require more physical work. So maybe next year he has some swirls in his paint. Oh, he’ll now need another polisher, the 6” DA. The 3” polisher is meant to be used for paint correction where the 6” polisher couldn’t get to. If you’re applying wax/sealant, the 6” polisher is then again used for the majority of the work, then you can just use your hand for where the 6” couldn’t reach.

12. Nov 5, 2017 at 7:19 PM
    equalme

Member:
    Kansas City, KS
    Vehicle:
    GX470
    I just remembered OP has a black taco. He’ll definitely have swirls to remove.

13. Nov 5, 2017 at 8:02 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    No I am not telling OP to buy anything. I wouldn't use a DA at all for sealant. But if all I was going to use the DA for is apply sealant then I would use a smaller DA.

NMTrailRider likes this.
  14. Nov 5, 2017 at 8:10 PM
    equalme

Member:
    Kansas City, KS
    Vehicle:
    GX470
  15. Nov 5, 2017 at 11:38 PM
    c_buck79

c_buck79 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    3" Susp Lift, 20% Tinted windows, 20x9 XD Series wheels, SnugTop matched canopy
    This ^^^ I prefer to apply wax/sealant with a buffer due to the ability to lay even coats.

NMTrailRider[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Nov 6, 2017 at 12:06 AM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    As I suggested in another thread— if you are ONLY going to be laying down wax/sealant (or doing isolated corection work), the GG3 is a great tool. For polishing entire vehicles, using all-in-ones, cleaner waxes, etc. (or if you plan to do so in the future), then yeah the 6” is a better choice. Griots makes a great 3” backing plate specifically engineered for the GG6.

I have both tools. They’re both great and have their pros and cons. I got the GG6 initially, but actually picked up the GG3 later per Mike’s recommendation solely for application of sealants. Paired with the Rupes 4” white pads, it’s a dream. Line up three cars in the driveway and I make very quick work of them.

Regarding the GG3:
    “It’s perfect for machine applying waxes. Again, machine application of a wax or sealant always trumps hand application.”

DBCE67C1-BB6F-4E1D-A063-809A0D49690E.jpg

ace96 and c_buck79 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top