1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hand winch instead of power winch?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by TheMrGExperience, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Mar 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    TheMrGExperience

TheMrGExperience [OP] Because Tacos are too mainstream...and Im poor.

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Slidell, LA
    Vehicle:
    01 GMC Sierra z85 4x4 4.8L RCLB
    Debadged, 4x6 to 6x9 rear speaker conversion
  2. Mar 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    valon5150

valon5150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    redding
    Vehicle:
    01 taco turd
    all pro lift, 33s, home made sliders, bumpers, skids
    You can get a Smittybuilt XRC8 for bucks more. It's a decent winch, not the best but if you arn't wheeling hardcore it should be fine. and a whole hell of a lot more useful then that come a long. If i could have that come a long i would grab it without hesitation, but for the money i would choose an electric winch. Get some snatch blocks and you can pull anything out with an 8k winch

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-...8&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pl=6426&t_pn=S/B97281

3. Mar 11, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    TheMrGExperience

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Slidell, LA
    Vehicle:
    one of the things with a winch tho is how much it weights and the come-a-long pictured is like 70 bucks less and 25lbs lighter. how reliable would a cheapy electrice winch be anyways? i have 4x4 and a locker so when im stuck IM STUCK and i need the power

4. Mar 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    valon5150

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    redding
    Vehicle:
    01 taco turd
    To be exact the come along is only 10 dollars cheaper. an XRC is on the cheaper end but i would not exactly call it a "cheapy" winch you will still find some hardcore rigs with basic XRC's that USE them without problems. Go to harbor freight for a true cheapy.

I've gotten pretty well stuck before in my 4x4 with rear locker. and this is what i use.
    http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Towin...Cable-Puller?gclid=CO-A2ru64K4CFQJ9hwodZRxGbA

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-...18&t_s=190&t_pt=8394&t_pl=9617&t_pn=H/LHL-604

if you dont have the mindset that you are going to NEED a real winch then a simple come along, not a nearly 300 dollar one along with hi lift will probably do perfectly fine for you

5. Mar 11, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    Personally I would not buy the hand powered one, I mean for a few bucks more your gonna be extremely happy your holding a control switch versus a handle that requires a little muscle. I wouldn't even have one as a back up, I expect my electric winch to be trouble free forever (knocking on wood)

6. Mar 11, 2012 at 9:17 PM
    valon5150

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    redding
    Vehicle:
    01 taco turd

:eek: no back up? you should hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

7. Mar 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM
    TheMrGExperience

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Slidell, LA
    Vehicle:
    decisions decisions

8. Mar 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    True, but I carry a strap too and never wheel alone, I do how ever have smaller come along winch too.

9. Mar 11, 2012 at 10:12 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    Having used a come-a-long to get a truck out of a tick situation GET the XRC; Either way a decent winch is less than the cost of an professional off road recovery bill. Ask me how I know.

10. Mar 11, 2012 at 10:15 PM
    TheMrGExperience

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Slidell, LA
    Vehicle:
    ha what was the damage?

11. Mar 11, 2012 at 10:18 PM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    A high lift can be used as a come-along its a lot of work but better than nothing. having a winch is great but also requires additional modification and dollars

12. Mar 11, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    I wasn't the stuck, but my buddy was it set him back about 350 bucks.

We got 2 trucks stuck on the trail and had to get a wrecker to come get them off. He was stuck in about 2' of snow and we couldn't get it back onto the hard pack. The other rig was about 6" from sliding off a 100' cliff. The road in winds up the north side of the mountain and had about 3" of ice cover it.

I was the only one who made it out that night. I had to drive about 30 mins to get Cell service to get someone else to come pick everybody up and get them home. It took two 30ft straps two 20ft straps and 125ft of winch cable to reach his truck and get it out. The wrecker almost got stuck too.

13. Mar 11, 2012 at 10:23 PM
    TheMrGExperience

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Slidell, LA
    Vehicle:
    yea thats the thing. the mount and all the wiring is going to cost money because im 4 months out of knee surgery and will have to get someone to do it for me. eff it im getting the Wyeth Scott winch deuces haters

14. Mar 11, 2012 at 10:33 PM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    lol I'm glad we were here to help with the whole justification thing

15. Mar 11, 2012 at 10:53 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    so what are you going to do if you are in a stuck situation with just a hand winch? it takes work to operate a hand winch that is under load. all that work will just take out your knees. get a regular winch and use a hi-lift which you should be carrying anyways to use has a backup come-a-long if necessary.

16. Mar 12, 2012 at 2:51 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    TheMrGE,

I think you made a wise choice on the Weyth-Scott power puller. They are made locally to me and I have seen several in action. With it being portable, you are not limited as to where you can use it, nor do you need a battery/running vehicle.

17. Mar 12, 2012 at 5:11 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I've pulled many a truck out with a come-along. They take a longer but do the job but work and are much less weight to carry around than a winch.

That's not to say that you will always have an easy time of it. For some idiotic reason I once thought I'd like to drive my 2WD truck across a dry riverbed of deep sand, only to get stuck in the middle. Fortunately, I had a 200 ft climbing rope with me that would just reach a cottonwood on the other bank. I spent the next six hours hand-cranking my truck across that river.

A few years later I ran across a family in a motor home who had done the same thing. I had a hi-lift with me then too -- it helped but we still spent the rest of the day cranking that motor home across the river.

I prefer electric or PTO winches though but these won't get you out of everything. When I was a kid we were out hunting when my grandpa slid his jeep off into a deep muddy ditch. We hooked the winch to a telephone pole... and started to pull down the telephone pole. A guy in a gas truck then came by so we hooked onto him... and pulled him into the ditch. My dad then hiked to a friend's farm and came back with a front-loader tractor to pull both trucks out of the ditch and straightened up the telephone pole.

In the Army, I once snapped a cable trying to winch one of these:

[​IMG]

out of a river with one of these:

[​IMG]

NC Rick and crabshackint like this.
  18. Mar 12, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    TheMrGExperience

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Slidell, LA
    Vehicle:
    Im not worried about the work I'm worried about having reliability and safety for myself, the people i'm with and my truck while being on a budget. i almost always have a buddy riding with me the smallest of which is about 6'2" 225lb.

thats defiantly a plus I didnt even think about. I was actually in a situation the other day where the only tree was behind me haha. Thats great that you have experience with it i had a hard time finding anyone with hands on experience

thats awesome haha. My trucks a bit lighter then a tank so i think i'll be fine.

Thank you for your service by the way.

19. Mar 13, 2012 at 4:59 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    TheMrGE,

Most of the Weyth-Scott power pullers I have used or saw in action were 50 years old and stilll working fine. All of the parts that can break or wear out are replaceable and kept in stock. This is a great investment in a lifelong tool. Check out their website for more information.

20. Mar 23, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    big sky

big sky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    I have a W-S power puller in my truck and one in my work truck, they've come in handy several times :) Granted it's not nearly as efficient as a bumper winch, but it's certainly cheaper and they aren't overly large so they stow away pretty well

if you plan on needing a winch a lot than a bumper winch is clearly the better option, if the need is very infrequently then the W-S is a viable alternative imo

NC Rick likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top