1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

handling woes

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by damian12, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Sep 15, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    damian12

damian12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma
    I have searched and find very little info on this. I am hoping you can shed some light. I posted here in Gen 1 because I noticed the suspension forum seems busy with a lot of Gen 2 folks.

I have a 1995 Tacoma. It was a very early production model. It has always handled very poorly when going over bumps. The higher the speed the worse it is. Its like the whole truck shifts, squirms or something.

I had a leaf spring break early in it's life and Toyota put in the 4 leaf system. Eventually I put in heavy duty Gabriel shocks and it seemed a bit better. When those went I put in bilstien 4600's and have not been happy since. almost like they are to stiff and causes the truck to jump around when hitting bumps. It rides best with a bit of weight in the rear.

What is with the suspension on this thing? I hate it. Should I be going back to OEM shocks? I noticed a TSB SU001-97 that calls for new 4 leaf springs (I have) and new shocks, which I never got from Toyota.

All bushings, ball joints etc seems good. This truck is street driven by my wife with 191,000 miles.

I'd like your thoughts and ideas on this. Thanks.

To Top