1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard 1st gear shift when stopping or starting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by joshj808, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Mar 27, 2017 at 6:50 AM
    joshj808

joshj808 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport
    None
    I looked around the board and googled it but cant seem to find anything about my issue. It seems to be intermittent but the transmission shifts into first(?) hard when stopping and shift hard again when starting back up from a stop. Any ideas?

2. Mar 27, 2017 at 6:52 AM
    JordanDziekan

JordanDziekan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    There seems to be no solution to this answer... I experience the same thing, very frustrating.

3. Mar 27, 2017 at 6:54 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Top off your transmission, you may be surprised.

4. Mar 27, 2017 at 6:55 AM
    joshj808

Member:
    Vehicle:
    None
    Had it serviced by Toyota after I bought it but ill take it to CarMax and have them look at it. I have a warranty on it so...

5. Mar 27, 2017 at 6:58 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    They don't do shit. All you have to do is make sure it's at the right temp, pull the fill plug and top it off. Many have had this problem and this solved it. They tend to come from the factory without enough tranny fluid. Mine's a manual tranny, but I've read it on here many times.

6. Mar 27, 2017 at 6:58 AM
    joshj808

Member:
    Vehicle:
    None
    This is an A/T. The service manual will have the temp requirements, right?

7. Mar 27, 2017 at 7:25 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    I'm pretty sure the AT flush/ fill thread gives a user friendly way to tell it's at the right temp - assuming you don't have a laser thermometer.

8. Mar 27, 2017 at 7:31 AM
    will.carroll7

will.carroll7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 LR
    And if you do want a laser thermometer you can get one for $26 at Harbor Freight

9. Apr 29, 2017 at 10:48 PM
    haastilecreation

haastilecreation Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
    I definitely have some rough shifts between 1st and 3rd. I had been shifting around 2k rpm's but I noticed it's a lot smoother around 2200 or 2300 rpm's. At what point are you guys shifting?

10. Apr 30, 2017 at 5:51 AM
    Rippinlips_00

Rippinlips_00 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Bigger tires, Pop n lock tailgate lock, tonneau cover, flux beam headlights, bilstein suspension (5100 series)
    Ive had an issue with hard thumps but ive noticed them more in the rear? I know my transmission is healthy but now you have me wondering. I'm taking a trip up north so I'm going to do a fluid swap on my tranny and rear diff today. Ill be sure to post after I'm done to let you guys know what happened

11. Apr 30, 2017 at 9:16 AM
    azzwethinkweiz

azzwethinkweiz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB V6 6-Spd, TRD OR, Tow Package
    I have a manual and when I went to change the fluid around 30k miles, I drained it and it had a little less then 2/3 the full amount that was supposed to be in there. Obviously there was some residual still in the trans but still it would appear that it was slightly underfilled from the factory. Definitely check your fluids if you haven't.

For manual transmission fluid btw I'd recommend either Redline or Motorcraft XT-M5-QS, it's found at most Ford dealerships, just make sure they bring you the right part number. I used it when replacing my own fluid and it's a pretty healthy difference in shifting feel.

Products Discussed in

To Top