1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard staring problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dirtboyz, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Nov 21, 2015 at 9:57 AM
    Dirtboyz

Dirtboyz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Front bilstein 5100 with OME 884 w/trim pack, 17" fuel trophy wheels wrapped with 32" toyot open country m/t, bakflip fibermax tonneau cover, Avec 30" led light bar behind lower grille, marathon seat covers in max 5 camo pattern, trimmed front and rear mud flaps, more to come.
    Hello TW! I have a question and its battery related. I have a 2014 sport so I figure i shouldn't be having battery problems. So I do have a blue sea aux fuse box that is connected to my hood less and 30" led light bar which is the only thing that I can turn in with the truck off unless I open my hood then my hood lights come on. Well I have had this set up for about 4 months now with no problems what so ever and the other morning I came out to crank my truck it was a hard start almost thought it wasn't going to crank. Well the truck cranked after I charged the battery for a few minutes. Well ever since this has happened it happens all the time now. I fully charged my batter last night and this morning the voltage read something around 10.5 which is low. The only recent thing I have done is installed relays for led turn signals and discovered that the beg terminal of the blue sea was partially broke due to me over tightening it. My question is it possible that the slight neg break drained my battery down to the point where it will not hold a charge? I have checked everything from the parasitic draw to the alternator and everything checks out. If this is the problem or if having the blue sea fuse box hooked up which is the only thing that draws when truck is off would it be better for me to get a yellow top optima battery for the somewhat deep cycle it has so therefore it can with stand the blue sea fuse box? Thanks for any advice. Can't believe I am having this type of issue with a year old truck. Thanks.

2. Nov 21, 2015 at 10:41 AM
    Louisd75

Louisd75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Washington
    Vehicle:
    '02 Xtra Cab, '15 DCSB
    Are the extra lights all connected through the fuse block? If so, I'd disconnect the fuse block from the battery and drive around for a bit to get it charged up. Check the voltage after you park it for the day, then check again the next morning. It shouldn't drop that much (if at all). If it does, you know it's not the fuse block or anything connected to the fuse block. If voltage doesn't drop, plug the fuse block back in and start pulling individual fuses from the fuse block.

3. Nov 21, 2015 at 10:43 AM
    gottaToy

gottaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    movin' on up to the east side
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    Rancho RS66903R7 @2.5", 2x4 block in rear. strait pipe, 37" super swampers
    bad cell in battery, take to an auto parts place and have it checked

4. Nov 21, 2015 at 10:47 AM
    HAVVOKK

HAVVOKK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2014 DGAF Long Bed
    Fucking look it up
  5. Nov 21, 2015 at 12:06 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    Any chance the add-on gadgetry is draining the battery?

6. Nov 21, 2015 at 4:31 PM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Front bilstein 5100 with OME 884 w/trim pack, 17" fuel trophy wheels wrapped with 32" toyot open country m/t, bakflip fibermax tonneau cover, Avec 30" led light bar behind lower grille, marathon seat covers in max 5 camo pattern, trimmed front and rear mud flaps, more to come.
    I believe so but I should be minimal. I can turn my light bar on with the truck off so there is power going to the fuse box when the truck is off that's why I am considering getting an optima yellow top for the deep cycle purpose. But the thing is never had a problem and I drive just about everyday and make sure to close all the doors and stuff kind of ocd about it. I did a charge the other night and the next morning did a voltage check and it was around 10.8 or a little lower. I'm thinking just getting the optima ski I do not have to worry about flipping the breaker on to the fuse box every time I turn the truck off. That would get old.

7. Nov 21, 2015 at 4:33 PM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4

Just noticed my misspelling. Damn auto correct

8. Nov 21, 2015 at 4:36 PM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Yes everything is run through the fuse block and that's why I got it so not everything was running directly to my battery. I'm thinking it's a bad cell to like the other poster posted but I just can't believe a year old battery would go bad like that but there are lemons out there. And I'm assuming I couldn't take it to Toyota for warranty because they will say because of my add ons caused the problem. You know how the dealerships are

9. Nov 21, 2015 at 4:49 PM
    Louisd75

Louisd75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Washington
    Vehicle:
    '02 Xtra Cab, '15 DCSB
    With what I suggested you'd either know you had a parasitic draw or you'd completely eliminate the possibility and it would be a short investment in time and probably less work than going to get it tested :) I guess I'm just lazy and like to eliminate the easy possibilities first.

10. Nov 21, 2015 at 4:53 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    I'm betting on the battery having a bad cell. Pull it and take it to a place like NAPA to have it load tested.

11. Nov 21, 2015 at 4:54 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    If you do a proper batt. test anything below 12.8 is almost always time for a new batt, most good batt. are 13.2v & up this "over voltage" is where your cranking amps to starter live...

12. Nov 21, 2015 at 8:04 PM
    HAVVOKK

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2014 DGAF Long Bed
    Fucking look it up
    :stirthepot::drunk:
    I'm just messing with you lol

4WD likes this.
  13. Nov 21, 2015 at 8:30 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

You messin' again ?? Or you just messy again ??...:p

14. Nov 21, 2015 at 9:13 PM
    HAVVOKK

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2014 DGAF Long Bed
    Fucking look it up
    Little bit of both just depends on what kind of night it is:mudding::cheers:

4WD[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Nov 21, 2015 at 9:15 PM
    big_jarv

big_jarv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro
    I have that problem occasionally.

Toyota told me it's normal and not to worry.

shakerhood likes this.
  16. Nov 21, 2015 at 9:34 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

:cheers::thumbsup::thumbsup:

17. Nov 21, 2015 at 9:35 PM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    I'm not to worried about it but still trying to get my battery voltage back up and it seems to be stable now. I guess even with the new fuse box I put in I didn't seat the neg terminal ont the post all the way but I fixed that and it is holding voltage now around 12.5 but it is 30 degrees so that reading is working range. I just didn't want the problem to go on and eventually mess the starter up.

18. Nov 21, 2015 at 9:39 PM
    Dirtboyz

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4

I tested the draw and I'm not getting one from the box now. Well it's a tad high but nothing to worry about. And now the battery voltage is where it should be with the box on and off so I think I'm good to go. Hopefully!!

19. Nov 21, 2015 at 9:42 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

Test again tomorrow (hopefully warmer) with no load, disconnect if necessary & if 12.5v I'm still saying likely a battery is in order, if everything else checks out charging system wise, it pretty much HAS to be battery...;)

20. Nov 21, 2015 at 9:44 PM
    HAVVOKK

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2014 DGAF Long Bed
    Fucking look it up
    Check the bed compartments for drugs those kill the batterys too so I've heard not sure why

Products Discussed in

To Top