1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard to accelerate with wheel fully turned from park after switching to 4x4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sage07, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

Leave it in 4WD except: On dry pavement, or on normal rainy weather days on pavement (VSC will do what 4WD on rainy roads used to).

There are NO warnings from Toyota like what people post here about 'dangers' of using 4WD on pavement. You just don't need it on pavement. Never 'force' anything to work... including sterring sharp... If it is hard to steer in 4WD (like to park), then pop it in 2WD for slow sharp turns.

2. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    GeoTaco1

GeoTaco1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geo
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    NEW Toyo TIRES Bed Cage to hold 120 LBS of sand and fishing rod holder, window air deflectors, Bug Deflector, & finally Avid Light Bar and step rails....
    Excellent Information!! Yes I had a typo on my previous, meant 4L and yes I have the Off Road, whichis equipped with the rear locker. But after I see the details, I do not think I need it, unless I get stuck in sand.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    But, let's assume I am driving on a mountain with no guard rails:eek: and it is snowing. I have to make constant turns as I am going up the mountain. is 4HI better or keep it in 2WD? Lets assume the speed will be maxed out at 55 MPH. It sounds like I should keep it in 2Wd and press the Auto LSD??

Now let's add some ice forming during night driving going down the same mountain??? I think I feel safer going down hill in 4 WD, but somehow not so safe going up hill.

Am I correct or wrong?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BTW: I know this may be a stupid question, but, why don't they give us the option to drive 2WD using the front wheels? I would prefer this option when driving up a mountain making constant turns. ???

3. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I have seen it lock and I have used it where I used lockers before... and have had people with front and rear lockers who watched me use it comment.

Saying A-TRAC isn't lockers means about the same as saying AUTO LSD isn't limited slip differential. Both are true, but both give you the same effect.

A-TRAC does the same action as lockers just differently, in that it matches the wheel rotation across the axle by only using the brakes instead of gears or clutches to slow or stop a spinning tire. The A-TRAC matches the opposite tire 'like' a locker does... NOT the same... but 'like'...

A locker is smoother, without the noise and it stays locked until you de-activate it.

A-TRAC is noisy and pops in and out, checking for slippage, automatically. However, it allows steering, where as a locker prohibits steering ability. There are no warning or limits on A-TRAC use.

Lockers come with a warning to only use in an EMERGENCY and to turn off as soon as you are unstuck or over the problem area... Also, not to drive over 5 mph!

Now, I am stating facts and personal experiences... I am not using bad language or wish to start any argument. The only 'problems' with A-TRAC posts come for NON-ATRAC owners who have nothing better to do or people who paid thousands for aftermarket lockers and feel a need to justify their purchase...

If A-TRAC wasn't invented, then I would still be using my Toyota rear locker or consider adding a front locker. I have always gotten everywhere I wanted to go with just the rear locker, however.

So just chill, and lets both just enjoy exchanging facts and personal stories... I have tried real hard to stop making fun of the fake hood scoop on Sport trucks... So, just because you see "A-TRAC" doesn't mean the 'player haters' need to mess up information to newbies or others here.

We should be happy we both have Toyotas afterall... A-TRAC, Lockers, Hood Scoops, whatever!:D

4. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Check your PM.

5. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC

These are goosd questions... but the best way is to just start driving it in these conditions yourself...

Let me tell you how I would handle some of your concerns:

1) I have the Off Road, whichis equipped with the rear locker. But after I see the details, I do not think I need it, unless I get stuck in sand.

A) The rear locker only works in Low Range... Sand driving is more about floatation and momentum. Use H4 to have momentum, L4 is too slow and the torque over-spins the tires, digging you in!

The trick to sand driving or getting unstuck in sand is to LOWER the tires air pressure (10-15 psi in all 4).

2) But, let's assume I am driving on a mountain with no guard rails:eek: and it is snowing. I have to make constant turns as I am going up the mountain. is 4HI better or keep it in 2WD?

A) 4-High is twice as good as 2-High!

3) Lets assume the speed will be maxed out at 55 MPH. It sounds like I should keep it in 2Wd and press the Auto LSD??

A) Maxed out? Their is no max while in H4 over H2, except when shifting between the two (60 mph max when going in or out of 4WD High).

No, AUTO LSD is for 2WD use to get unstuck or start moving from a parking spot. You are in TRAC mode normally and the VSC will keep you from sliding out of control at speed. We have 4WD, so AUTO LSD really isn't necessary for us for getting unstuck.

4) I think I feel safer going down hill in 4 WD, but somehow not so safe going up hill.

A) I don't know why you would...? 4WD will help you climb when traction is iffy. Why spin the rear tires to grip? Be a smooth operator and use 4WD for all LOW TRACTION conditions!

6. Jan 26, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    MAN!!! You really are annoying about this. I bet 95% of your posts mention A-TRAC, when only 5% of the threads you post in were even remotely related to it. STFU already. Please and thank you

7. Jan 26, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    My ten year old asked about and I explained the 4x4 usage to her when I first bought the truck.

First time we hit a real snowy road she says "time for 4HI", reaches over and turns the knob. (even after I said "wait Virginia").

No harm done, but she promised to wait to engage until I giver her the nod next time.

8. Jan 26, 2011 at 7:32 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Rear lockers = old technology
    A-Trac = new improved technology

Anyway, don't turn sharp on dry pavement, wet pavement, or light snow. Stay safe out there people!!!

9. Jan 26, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Deja vu this thread

10. Jan 27, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    you guys are idiots. obviously everyone knows everything about atrac so shut the fuck up and smile knowing that you are god.

11. Jan 27, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wish I could have a setting where if the word "A-trac" shows up in a thread I posted in, it would automatically unsubscribe me.

12. Jan 27, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    To the guys who don't know everything in this thread.... when you're turning on snow and ice in 4WD, you'll notice that the truck doesn't really want to turn, even though the wheel is cranked all the way over.... its normal. Just give it a quick shot of gas and you'll find your front end comes around very quickly, just make sure you have room when you give it the gas, in case it won't turn.

13. Jan 27, 2011 at 11:48 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    In the movie 'Cars', Paul Newman (Hudson Hornet) teaches Owen Wilson (Lightning McQueen) how to turn right to go left! :D

14. Jan 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Feel the love here...

15. Jan 27, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    fuck a duck!
    you should add an asshole to your a-trac so you can fuck it.

16. Jan 27, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    damn nm :D

17. Jan 27, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    ;)

18. Jan 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    How the F\/<k is this thread still going ?? I'm loving all the "Expert" advice though. :laughing:

19. Jan 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    HA!! Funny!!

20. Jan 27, 2011 at 2:32 PM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member: