1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard to get to plugs on 02' Pre Runner?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by PrerunnerPaul, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Feb 22, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    PrerunnerPaul

PrerunnerPaul [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Clemente, California
    Vehicle:
    02' PreRunner
    I need to change the plugs on my 02' Pre runner V6. I've heard that there are 1 or 2 plugs that are really hard to get to and change. I've had 2 different places tell me they want $120.00 to change the plugs because of the plug, or plugs that are hard to get to. Even the parts guy at Toyota told me, that alot of mechanics will only do a 5 plug change, because they don't want to mess with the one plug that's hard to get to.
    Anybody know what I'm talking about, or what I need to do to get to that one plug that's hard to get to? I want to change them myself, but I want to do all 6. Thanks.

2. Feb 22, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    kumaWRX

kumaWRX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jase
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD Offroad PreRunner 3.4L V6
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, Toytec 1" lift shackles, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, aFE Stg. 2 intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler, 16x8 ProComp 7089 wheels, Toyo Open Country A/T tires, Pamalu bedliner, Bakflip G2 bedcover
    I've done many spark plug replacements on the 3.4s and none are really difficult. $120 is a fair price as I would guess book time is about 1.2 hours. On the passenger side, you have to remove the intake boot so that you can remove the coilpacks, on the driver's side, you have to remove some of the ground wires on the intake manifold and the coilpacks should come right out.

3. Feb 22, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    jblaze805

jblaze805 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ventura/Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 trd pre-runner
    2.5" king coilovers, caburg uca, magnaflow exhaust, aem intake
    did mine about a couple months bak...just need to unbolt some of the clamps holding some of the hoses that kinda are in the way of the last two plugs on the driver and muscle them to the side and you should be fine. its a bit of a pain but you can do it man just believe in urself...

4. Feb 22, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    kumaWRX

kumaWRX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jase
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD Offroad PreRunner 3.4L V6
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, Toytec 1" lift shackles, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, aFE Stg. 2 intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler, 16x8 ProComp 7089 wheels, Toyo Open Country A/T tires, Pamalu bedliner, Bakflip G2 bedcover
    Me being a mechanic, I find it very hard to believe that they would only replace 5 out of 6 plugs, that is just stupid and this truck isn't even hard to work on. It's either you change it all or none at all, sorry had to vent :)

5. Feb 22, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    tacomaforlife

tacomaforlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    AIKEN, SC
    Vehicle:
    Its a Toyota what more is there to say.....
    TRD S/C 3" sky jacker suspension lift,33" kumho road venture mt kl71's 16" 320c pacer wheels,billet grill,EBC slotted and dimpled rotors,super 44 muffler with gutted cat,smoked l.e.d. tail lights, deck plate mod with K&N filter,fog/blinker mod,cobra cb with 4' firestick antenna/100W PA,clear corners with l.e.d bulbs,55w back up lights,urd O2 sim., blue l.e.d bulbs behind gauge cluster.
    Its easy i did mine in less than an hour

6. Feb 22, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    I want to do this but don't want to pay the dealership 120. Especially when the plugs cost 3.50 each.

7. Feb 22, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    PrerunnerPaul

PrerunnerPaul [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Clemente, California
    Vehicle:
    02' PreRunner
    Thanks everybody on the input.

Products Discussed in

To Top