1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anybody installed their own remote start / security system? Looking at the Viper 5806v.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ssanders2211, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Aug 25, 2016 at 9:02 AM
    ssanders2211

ssanders2211 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    behind the rear seat hi-lift mount bracket, easy-out crossbed toolbox brackets, sliders, ATO plate rear bumper, hood/bed lighting, always-on 12v outlets, dashcam, Viper 5806V w/ GPS
    Hey, I was wondering if anybody on here has done this and can offer some advice. I'm looking at getting a Viper remote start / security system installed in my Tacoma (2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4 auto) and I'm trying to collect enough info to do it myself, but I'm not having a lot of luck finding all of it.

Here's my wishlist:
    - Viper 5806v
    - GPS module
    - battery backup
    - glass break sensor
    - blinky light
    - Smartphone app / web integration
    - = Will continue to use OEM keyfob for lock/unlock
    - = Will use smartphone app for remote start
    - = LED fob will be left at home as a spare for and my wife to use on the rare occasion when she drives the truck

I got a quote for about $1000 from the local Viper authorized installer. I think about half of that is labor, and if I can save $500 but it takes me 12+ hours to do it myself, I'm OK with that.

I'm pretty handy with this stuff - I build my own computers, root my phones/tablets, installed my own stereo, and modded my Xbox back in the day by soldering a bunch of hair-thin wires onto the motherboard and running a half dozen different utilities to break into it and use a custom bootloader. So I know I can do it if I can find the right information, but I'm also well aware of how badly I can screw up if I just forge ahead blindly.

After looking around on Google here's what I've found:
    1 - Viper will not be of any help. Their stance is "pay an installer".
    2 - The only documentation provided by Viper is a 2 page quick start guide and most people agree that it's not very helpful.
    3 - I'll need an immobilizer bypass and I'm not sure what's all entailed with that so I'll need to do more research.
    4 - The smartphone integration uses the Verizon 3G network and that means there's some kind of registration / activation process. Can I do that or does the activation request have to come from Viper or a Viper authorized installer?
    5 - So far the only reason I'm even considering DIY is because of this awesome wiring guide somebody created for a 2005-2008 Tacoma. Is this still relevant in a 2014? Are there any other good resources out there?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjSkuHC4dzOAhWElxoKHWgfAO0QFggeMAA&url=https://www.tacomaworld.com/attachments/reference-sheet-for-viper-5806v-pkall-05-08-tacoma-pdf.303663/&usg=AFQjCNHhxk-wR3-nqx0eWrSl5d5udWo1kQ&sig2=icXO-ynAj7He5YbYovbChA

2. Oct 27, 2016 at 5:28 AM
    AKSig88

AKSig88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 Tundra
    Curious if you ever installed this yourself? Would you recommend the Viper 5806?

3. Oct 27, 2016 at 5:36 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    No, but I've removed a few professionally installed alarm systems, along with more DIY installed systems.

Only removed because they caused more problems than they solved. And everyone ignores alarms going off anyway.

If you are in cold country, I'd suggest a plain jane remote start w/o all the gee whiz stuff.

4. Oct 27, 2016 at 5:54 AM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    i wouldn't recommend messing with it. If you cut into the wrong wire or something else with the electrical system, could cause more headache. Your previous experience with building computers, etc. don't really compare since that stuff you can always research problems solutions afterwards. In this scenario, as you've stated, you can find info on anything. That in itself should cause concern cause if you run into problems you'd be SOL.

ssanders2211[OP] likes this.
  5. Oct 27, 2016 at 6:43 AM
    AKSig88

AKSig88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 Tundra
    I hear ya, I really just want a really good remote start that I can start the vehicle without actually seeing it. I could care less about all of the fancy alarms and "invisible protection fields".

Sorry the OP had posted this back in AUG/2016. I just revived this to see if he actually went through the install. I agree with you though, not to keen on splicing alot of wires to save a few bucks.

6. Oct 27, 2016 at 8:22 PM
    ssanders2211

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    behind the rear seat hi-lift mount bracket, easy-out crossbed toolbox brackets, sliders, ATO plate rear bumper, hood/bed lighting, always-on 12v outlets, dashcam, Viper 5806V w/ GPS
    I looked around for awhile and ended up paying a licensed installer to do it about a week ago. It was not cheap but it works great and I like it. I ended up getting the 5806. It came with an alarm for the door switches and a shock/impact alarm. It also came with a 2-way fob (acknowledges the vehicle received the command) and a 1-way fob. I had them add a glass break sensor and a SmartStart cellular / GPS module. So now I can see where it's at and lock/unlock/start from my phone. The 2-way fob's range is WAY better than the factory one. So far I've used it from a quarter mile away and it worked fine. I didn't even think about the proximity sensor / warning stuff, that sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Usually when I arm it I set it so the shock sensor alarm will just send me a text instead of waking up the neighbors.

I was really tempted to hack together my own solution from other brands and then hide a TracFone or similar prepaid phone in the body somewhere, but this was the only thing out there that tied everything together without costing me a few hundred bucks and 30+ hours of my time. I hate it when people's car alarms go off and they don't do anything about it so I wanted that instant notification on mine, and the ability to turn it off right away. We just had a daughter a few months ago and I take her to daycare in the mornings, so jumping into a cold truck this winter isn't ideal. I used to use to start it with my spare key and lock that in there when I needed to warm it up but somebody a couple houses down had their car stolen a few months ago, and I don't want to risk that with mine. There are a few folks that just drive around town in the mornings looking for running vehicles. When they see one the passenger jumps out, tests the door, and then runs back. And if it is stolen maybe the GPS will help get it back. I've taken extremely good care of it and spent a lot of time getting it just the way I like it - there's no way the insurance company will take all that into account and get me an equivalent replacement. And even if they did, it's not like I can just spend all weekend working on it like I used to. So for me it's worth the expense for the peace of mind, the added convenience, and hopefully the decreased risk of theft.

Benzdriver81 and AKSig88 like this.
  7. Oct 27, 2016 at 8:42 PM
    kgarrett11

kgarrett11 Master Yoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    CA desert
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    I know @nazlax10 has done it. Been exploring these options as well

8. Oct 27, 2016 at 9:13 PM
    nazlax10

nazlax10 Check out my build thread for any products used!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Woodstock, GA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Toyota Rav4 LE... At least it's a Toyota
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/nazlax10s-build.408318/
  9. Oct 27, 2016 at 9:18 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    There is a liability issue with installing your own starter. Up in Canada we have lots of backyard installers starting fires in cars and insurance won't cover it unless a licensed shop has installed it. A plug an play setup is the best way.

I would put my 2cents in for Compustar w/drone for anyone considering it for range and reliability.

I've installed a couple in my life (I'm a licensed tech but we have installers), the new trucks with push button start are super easy, but the 2nd Gen Tacos are awesome due to the simplicity of the BCM.

10. Oct 28, 2016 at 7:30 AM
    Sub_Par

Sub_Par Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    That one seems to be unavailable with no eta on returning.

11. Oct 28, 2016 at 7:47 AM
    Early B.

Early B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    metro Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2014 2.7L, 5 lug Tacoma
    18" tires and rims, 2.75" Procomp lift, Fox shocks in rear.
  12. Oct 28, 2016 at 8:19 AM
    Sub_Par

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    Found his website too.

13. Oct 28, 2016 at 8:29 AM
    jmaack

jmaack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Helena Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Skewped hood silver 4runner
    Ome, Sqeak free dakars, arms, skids, sliders.
    Shop around. 1k for install is nuts.

14. Oct 28, 2016 at 8:41 AM
    Sub_Par

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
  15. Oct 28, 2016 at 10:03 AM
    ssanders2211

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    I agree, but when I priced out the kit that I'd build if I had infinite time to DIY I came out to around $400. Final parts and install came out to $870, so I figured an extra $400 or $500 was worth saving between 20-100 hours of my time (research, purchase, testing, installation, troubleshooting, tinkering, etc). Then it's another $100/year for the subscription with Viper but that's also what I'd shell out to add a 3G phone or tablet to my cell plan so that's a wash either way.

As far as spending $1k on it, I don't want to leave it in my garage because that's my workshop. I have full coverage but I don't want to rely on insurance because they won't "make me whole" again if it's stolen. Even if I did get another 2013-2015 Tacoma in excellent condition, I'll never have time to rebuild and reinstall all my mods in it. So after a lot of thought I decided it was worth it to me in my situation and for my goals.

I won't recommend for or against it but I'll answer any questions anybody has. I'm happy with the outcome so far.

jmaack[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Oct 28, 2016 at 10:23 AM
    nazlax10

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Woodstock, GA
    Vehicle:
    I installed the exact kit that you linked. I think it's worth having the lcd screen remote because if you were to accidentally start your truck it would 1. Vibrate to notify you, and 2. It shows exhaust fumes from the back to show it's started. Very simple kit to install, great guy to buy from if you have any questions, and the YouTube videos are very helpful.

AKSig88 likes this.
  17. Oct 28, 2016 at 10:26 AM
    nazlax10

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Woodstock, GA
    Vehicle:
  18. Oct 29, 2016 at 12:05 AM
    thebaker

thebaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
  19. May 15, 2017 at 12:59 PM
    ssanders2211

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4
    Here's the aftermath:

I ended up getting the Viper installed at a certified installer and although it was more money than I wanted to spend I've had very few issues with it and overall I'm happy with it. There's been a few false alarms the past month so I think the shock sensor is too sensitive and I'm going to take it in and have them turn it down a bit. When the alarm goes off the keyfob starts flashing and beeping immediately if you're in range. The smartphone app and notification email take about a minute to respond. To unlock, start, or disable the alarm the keyfob is instant and the phone app takes about 10-20 seconds to get the message thru. The GPS stuff is pretty nice but I haven't had to use it at all yet.

20. May 15, 2017 at 1:20 PM
    climbhigher23

climbhigher23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS TRD Off-Road 4x4
    2.5" King w/Adj 285/70/17 Wildpeaks Ray 10's

I do this professionally. If you have no experience doing this sort of thing I would recommend you take it to someone that knows their stuff and is a certified DEI installer.

Here are a few reasons why:
    1. DEI offers a lifetime warranty on their products (not including remotes) if installed by a certified installer.
    2. Most legit businesses offer lifetime warrantys on their work.
    3. Remote start systems integrate into the computer which typically means they must be programmed via a software program you likely do not have.
    4. From my experience there is a ton of trouble shooting required in getting everything you want done correctly.
    5. Did I mention the warranty?

As far as places I would recommend, Best Buy is an authorized dealer/installer of DEI products. Best Buy's can also be found all across the US. They dually offer lifetime warranties on their work. Also, being a large company, they have a much greater ability to negotiate a price. $1k sounds close but I'd bet you could get that down a bit if wordsmithed properly.

What ever you decide to do, good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top