1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anyone else had the timing chain cover leaking on their 2009?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bodete, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Jul 7, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Bodete [OP] Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    2009 SR5 DC LB 4x4
    Eibach springs w/ 5100 Bilstein shocks set to "0", Rear TSB
    A few months ago I noticed oil leaking from the timing chain cover just behind the power steering pump. I noticed it when I was changing the oil. It was leaking down the side of the motor but wasn't dripping on the floor yet. So last month I took it to the dealer to have the rear tsb done and told them that I also needed the oil leak fixed. After dropping it off first thing in the morning they called me back that afternoon and said that they will need the truck for another day to replace the timing chain cover seals. So after two days at the dealer everything was fixed for free. Everything was under warranty. The service lady said it took 5 hours to replace the rear leaf springs and 9 hours to replace the timing chain cover seals. My truck had only 20,000 miles on it. Has anyone else had same problem on their 2009 or 2010?
  2. Jul 7, 2010 at 11:39 PM

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Mar 25, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    I don't have a 2009, but I do know that alot of 2nd gen Tacos have a timing chain cover oil leak problem in the exact area you are talking about. It is very common. I have a 2006 with 90000 miles on it and mine has never leaked, I guess I've gotten lucky so far, but I do know it's gonna happen eventually. So I'm guessing Toyota never bothered to correct the problem on newer trucks since it doesn't happen to all Taco's and isn't a saftey issue.
To Top