1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anyone successfully coded a 5th TPMS?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Joe23, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Jan 7, 2018 at 4:48 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 [OP] Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    Curious if anyone has had it done or if it works etc?

I know when I was getting mine programmed at hte dealer I did see the option for 5th sensor on the computer and I am aware some models monitor it.

Since I have 5 wheels all the same with tire it would be nice to rotate the spare in.
    Asked the dealer about it but as usual they're pretty useless and don't know.

Just said if I code it in and it goes low I'll get a notification on the dash, but it wont display when I recalibrate with a tire rotation.

uhplifted likes this.
  2. Jan 7, 2018 at 4:50 PM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS
    Someone please provide this hack, please!

NerdTaco and Joe23[OP] like this.
  3. Jan 7, 2018 at 4:58 PM
    nickj604

nickj604 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2019 RAM 1500
    To be announced
    You shouldn't rely on those sensors. They are more of a pain in the ass then they are any good. I had a out of town Toyota dealer rotate my tires and some how they managed to mess one up. I had a intermittent light come on and off for months. It took 2 Toyota dealerships to figure out the problem. And 4 trips to have them look at it. I finally asked them to turn off the perammeter which ofcourse they couldnt. So one finally owned up and had it warrantied.

You should check your tires regularly they are the only part of your vehicle that contacts the road and are just as important as your engine or tranny working properly.

mauidogg and Garyji like this.
  4. Jan 7, 2018 at 5:03 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    I still check my tire pressures manually but i have to admit I like the way our trucks show the pressure in each tire. It would be nice if there was a way to get one in the spare and have it programmed in.

stu8319, Joe23[OP] and aaen like this.
  5. Jan 7, 2018 at 5:06 PM
    Hijynx

Hijynx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwet
    Vehicle:
    2019 Offroad DCLB
    My '06 4runner had tpms in the spare. I guess you could drop the spare, pull the valve core out and see if it trips a warning light. from what I have read the spare is mounted with the stem up. it's been mentioned on here to pull the spare down and remount it with the stem pointed down for easy pressure checks. but yeah, it would be cool to check the pressure of the spare on the dash. or use this
    https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBIKE

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  6. Jan 7, 2018 at 5:09 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    I think 08 or 09 was the last Tacoma with a Sensor in the Spare.

pudge151 and Oldman808 like this.
  7. Jan 7, 2018 at 5:09 PM
    Joe23

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    oh i still check them.

I just hate needing to see that TPMS light on the dash and would like to rotate my tires in without having that light on.
    And I like having them work. When I was off road I had a slow leak develop on my valve stem cause I didn't put the core back in tight enough after airing down. Had I not seen it dropping on the dash i likely would've went low and popped the bead.

uhplifted and shakerhood like this.
  8. Jan 7, 2018 at 5:11 PM
    Joe23

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    i'm not concerned with knowing what PSI the spare is...I want to rotate the spare in so I can wear all 5 tires evenly.

yub, Alesimo, ninernation and 4 others like this.
  9. Jan 7, 2018 at 7:23 PM
    aaen

aaen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport BBP
    Kings, ARB Summit Bumper, SMittybilt Winch, vagabond Drifter, Prinsu Cabrac, Crusinoffroad slidersand rear bumper
    same here. I just want the darn light off

10. Feb 11, 2018 at 8:14 PM
    aaen

aaen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Kings, ARB Summit Bumper, SMittybilt Winch, vagabond Drifter, Prinsu Cabrac, Crusinoffroad slidersand rear bumper
    K, so I figured I would hit the TPMS reset button and see if it would read the new tire that wasn’t coded. What I ended up doing was taking the now spare tire out it was reading, hit the button and go for a nice long drive. The computer picked up the new tire and reads them all correctly now. it doesn’t however pic up the spare. So whenever I do a tire rotation, I need to drop the spare and go for a 15-20 min drive to reset the system.

Has worked for me on one rotation, will see if it does it on the next.

TacoTim85 likes this.
  11. Feb 11, 2018 at 8:19 PM
    Joe23

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    So you got a 5th one programmed into the computer, it doesn't display on dash for spare .But when you press tpms reset and drive it then brings it into display on the dash. Is that what you're saying?

I don't follow because you said you didn't have it coded

shakerhood likes this.
  12. Feb 11, 2018 at 8:35 PM
    aaen

aaen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    The tire shop told me that it didn’t need to be programmed in as the computer would read the tires themselves, once you hit the TPMS reset button. We rotated the tires and they said they didn’t program it in, just hit the TPMS sensor and drive around for the computer to read the new tire position.

What I found out was that i had to drop the spare and go for about a 30 min drive, then it magically started to work. Read the right tires in the correct locations, no spare readout, and the light is off on the dash.

Not as easy as just switching out the tires and the computer being smart enough to decipher, but it worked. I’ll have to check it again as I am ready for another tire rotation after this vacation.

13. Feb 11, 2018 at 8:42 PM
    DavidM310

DavidM310 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Temple, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma/2015 4Runner/2015 IS250
    I’ll look tomorrow in TechStream and see if it is an option.

Joe23[OP] likes this.
  14. Feb 11, 2018 at 9:02 PM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    The TPMS ECU can only receive four at a time.

It IDs when:
    (1) Using the Techstream, manually enter the tire position for each transmitter ID.
    (2) Perform initialization to clear the existing tire position information, then drive the vehicle at 37 km/h
    (23 mph) or more for 10 minutes or more until each tire position is automatically identified.
    (3) Without performing initialization, drive the vehicle as normal until each tire position is automatically
    updated.

Initialization procedure:
    tpms.jpg

ID relies on wheel speed sensor communication from the Skid Control ECU and acceleration rate from the TPMS :
    TPMS2.jpg

Here's what I'm thinking...
    You might be able to use an ID cloning tool to clone an existing TPMS sensor.
    It would remain unread until it's rotated in and acceleration rate is picked up by the TPMS ECU.

Clone tool PDF:
    http://www.bluestreak.ca/media/1320/e446_digital-resources_tpms-cloning-tool-manual.pdf

Might have to wrap your tire in aluminum foil...:cookiemonster:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    shakerhood likes this.
  15. Feb 12, 2018 at 2:58 AM
    Joe23

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    I'm gonna say the tire guys are full of shit.
    I've had the tires on for a few months now that aren't coded since they're my winters, and it didn't magically work. Even though they're the original sensors, I had new ones coded from my all terrains.

What I think is happening is it's reading which ever is in your spare location as at a wheel.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    taco 16 and shakerhood like this.
  16. Feb 12, 2018 at 3:22 AM
    Joe23

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    That could work but as I posted above when the dealer as as do mine I saw on the computer that it has a 5th spot and asked the dealer they said yes you can program a 5th in but they don't know when you rotate spare in will it stop displaying one of the 1-4 that are coded and replacee one with that 5th. I understand it won't monitor as you drive with it in spare location but after that will it when in position

17. Feb 12, 2018 at 3:47 AM
    UplandExplorer

UplandExplorer Level of crazy: Chukar Hunter

Member:
    First Name:
    Turbine Tommy aka Mr.Pickles
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2017 White TRD OR DCSB
    mud, bugs, feathers, and dog hairs.
    I also rotate in my matching 5th spare to keep the tread wear even. I didn’t install a TPMS on the spare. I don’t get a light or warning on the panel, 4 wheels still show up on the monitoring page, one of which may be face up in the spare location. The other indicators are false locations too except on the 5th rotation when you’re back to original. There is still an 80% chance that a wheel with a sensor will get a flat and you’ll get a warning from the monitoring system.

Not a solution to the original question, but it is a workaround with no lights/warnings and saves the cost of a fifth sensor.

I’ve done this for 25,000 miles and have had 5 completed rotations with no issues. Spare sometimes reads slightly lower pressure than the three on the ground because it doesnt have the weight of the truck. One could throw in a couple extra psi before putting in spare position if the miscompare bothers them. I leave it low so I can quickly see which is the spare.

yub likes this.
  18. Feb 12, 2018 at 5:07 AM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    If you can register 5 then it shouldn't be a problem. I recall a guy on a 4runner forum adding a 5th and it worked fine.
    Only one way to find out, I guess.

Joe23[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  19. Feb 12, 2018 at 6:06 AM
    Joe23

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    Yep

I still have my four originals so just need to find out if I can put a sensor from a TRD off road wheel onto my Konig six shooter wheels.

If I can I just need coding. Guess if I can I'll try this spring when I put the 33s on

20. Feb 12, 2018 at 6:13 AM
    bajatacoguy

bajatacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco
    OEM: Bed Mat Roof Rack Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Door Sill Protectors KO2's Dobinson GTS Suspension TRD Beadlocks Timbren Bump Stops SPC UCA Rear SuperSpring SSO Slimline Winch Bumper SmittyBilt x20 Mobtown Sliders Mobtown Front Skid Avid Basket Bed Rack DECKED Draw Organizer Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Relentless Fab Bed Corner Tie Downs CBI Ditch Light Brackets ARB Dual Compressor Instant Air Tank Smittybilt RTT Road Shower II Indel-B Fridge/Freezer w/ Slide Ironman 4x4 Insulated Fridge Case Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT Yo_Hec - Center Console Molle Little Johnny III CB Radio KB Voodoo Flashlight Kit Switch Pro 8100 BlueSea Fuse Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Mount Gecko - LED Bed Lights Gecko - LED Hood Lights Raptor Grill Lights Cali Raised - Bed Flag Pole Holder Center Console Tray & Organizer Weather Tech Floor Mats Weather Tech Hood Deflector TRAILER BUILD HAPPENING! Plate: Negan
    I have a 5 Tire Rotation & the dealer swaps out the number as I swap the tire in and removes the one coming out. I have checked three times one of the times the dude did not swap out the correct one but in all honesty.. I do do not care unless the light comes on.

Joe23[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top