1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anyone tried swapping in a 4Runner Power Door actuator into our Tacos?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacopyro, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Mar 1, 2011 at 12:17 AM
    tacopyro

tacopyro [OP] Forever learning...

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco Pre SR5 V6 - 4WD
    Roll n Lock Cover and Stainless Step sides. New Mods. AFE Air Filter, PS Mag-Filter, Bilstein HD rear and 5100s Front. Michelins LTX MS2. Taurus E-Fan with FK50. Tundra Brake Upgrade. External Tranny Cooler. HO-Alt CS144 Mod, OMD Leaf Springs. Bull Bar. 4WD VF3AM Transfer Case, ADD/Manual Hubs. Supercharger with URD 7th injector. 4wd conversion complete Future Mods. rear sway bar, box the rear frame. I Love my Taco!
    Has anyone tried swapping in a 4Runner Power Door actuator into our Tacos?

I've been looking high and low for a replacement Power door actuator for my 01 Taco. its been buzzing and i got to disassemble it and the gears are pretty worn, it still locks and unlocks but i dont want to get caught out where it wont lock.

Dealer price is 300++. I dont want to spend that much.

i checked the bid sites and even CL but came up empty, i did find some 4runner power door actuators and am wondering if these will work.

Has anyone tried them on our Tacos?

Thanks

CK

2. Mar 1, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    dustinclm

dustinclm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thibodaux, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 Super White DC 4x4 V6
    Bilstein 5100 set at .85" WeatherTech Floor Mats
    i have the same buzzing problem in my 01 tacoma and im just going to live with it until it quits working because im not paying the dealer over $300 to fix it...i also took the actuator out of a 4 runner (i dont know the exact year but it was a late 90's model) and it was different...i didnt find out until i had taken my actuator out of the door, what a PITA! if u can find one that will match then more power to you. There was an 03 tacoma at the salvage yard i could go get the actuator from but i have never wanted to take mine out and put it back in...

3. Mar 1, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    tacopyro

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco Pre SR5 V6 - 4WD
    Roll n Lock Cover and Stainless Step sides. New Mods. AFE Air Filter, PS Mag-Filter, Bilstein HD rear and 5100s Front. Michelins LTX MS2. Taurus E-Fan with FK50. Tundra Brake Upgrade. External Tranny Cooler. HO-Alt CS144 Mod, OMD Leaf Springs. Bull Bar. 4WD VF3AM Transfer Case, ADD/Manual Hubs. Supercharger with URD 7th injector. 4wd conversion complete Future Mods. rear sway bar, box the rear frame. I Love my Taco!
    Hi Lrgrnr!

I was thinking of using the 03 4runner one, looking at the FSMs i could get my hands on.
    since the doors are similar i was thinking it maybe similar but until i can get my hands on one, i cant be too sure.

its 100 bucks in ebay...

Sincerely,
    CK

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Mar 1, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    tacopyro

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco Pre SR5 V6 - 4WD
    Hi dustinclm!

yes, i have read your thread before i posted.

i believe mechanically 03 4runners actuators should be the same but the motor placement and maybe the connectors are different. i think the 4runners arrangement is more robust than the tacoma's but until i can get my hands on one. its just a theory of mine.

I was hoping someone already had done it...

in this case i might just decide as you did.

CK

5. Mar 1, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    dustinclm

Member:
    Thibodaux, La
    Vehicle:
    the 4runner actuator i had was shaped different and if i remember correctly the rod things were different (i had my actuator laying next to the 4runner actuator and there was no way they were going to match up) the newer (03) 4runners might be more similar than the one i tried. i even opened up the actuators and tried to swap out the plastic gears but they were different too.
    until the grears wear down more, the door will continue to lock so ill deal with the noise for now

6. Mar 1, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    tacopyro

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco Pre SR5 V6 - 4WD
    Hi dustinclm!

I actually just found some reference pics on ebay re: 03 4runner actuators. after comparing them a little, i agree that it definitely wont work.

I'm thinking now if i can just rebuild the gear by having someone CNC it for me... its still probably cheaper than buying the whole actuator. I'll cross the bridge when i get there...

Thanks for your help!

CK

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Mar 1, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    dustinclm

Member:
    Thibodaux, La
    Vehicle:
    if you figure anything out on how to fix it let me know but from my understanding is that the plastic gears a wearing down and spinning on each other causing the grinding noise. so i dont know how you could "replace" the worn down parts, if you get what im saying

8. Mar 1, 2011 at 10:50 PM
    tacopyro

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco Pre SR5 V6 - 4WD
    I get what you are saying, I took mine apart sunday afternoon to see if i can repair it. i saw the plastic gears are wearing out on one end and its obvious why, the way the opposing metal gear is designed.
    What i'm trying to figure out now is if there is a way to rebuild the gears (plastic cement? probably wont work) or, when i find the time, find out how much it costs to CNC one from scratch using the old gear.

CK

Products Discussed in

To Top