1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hauling dirt bikes in a double cab short bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ricepow, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Jun 21, 2008 at 8:56 AM
    ricepow

ricepow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport
    Ok, so before you flame the new guy and tell me to do a search, I have searched my ass off and read just about every post there has been about the D-rings. I have a couple of ideas but wanted to hear some opinions. Here is my issue. On occasion I need to transport 2 dirt bikes. Just picked up a 08 double cab short bed. I purchased 2 sets of the Toyota d-rings. Problem is, if I install them in the location specified in the instructions or under the factory bed bolt that doesnt really look like its going to work out very well because the strap will basically be straight up and down on one side when hauling 2 bikes due to the whole wheel well running all the way to the front of the bed thing. So here are the ideas/questions.....

1. Has anyone mounted the d-rings on the top of the wheelwell? This would put the d-ring further to the side of the bed and should work fine for what I need. Just not sure if this is a good idea structurally.

2. Has anyone used one of these products on the composite bed? http://www.ccrsport.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=10 I used one in a Chevy I had a while back and it was ok.

3. I know theres a couple guys that just use the rail system. I think I would trust it better if the cleats were made of metal. Can Tundra cleats be used in the Tacoma rail? I think I saw a picture of somebody who was. I think I would trust this more as they appear they are made of metal and the only failure with a cleat I saw, the plastic cleat is what broke. Even so would anyone still suggest using it with those if you can?

4. If you have any better ideas let me know.

Thanks.

2. Jun 21, 2008 at 8:59 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    1. I'm not sure about moving the D rings to there. They might just rip out of the plastic bed.

2. Never heard ot it.

3. The cleats are not the problem, the entire system is weak and is NOT to be used for transporting a bike.

4. I would look into a small trailer IMHO.

3. Jun 21, 2008 at 9:00 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
  4. Jun 22, 2008 at 3:44 AM
    Oldcow

Oldcow Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 black TRD Sport
    I recommend a rack from US Rack, no drilling required and great for hauling 2 bikes. By far the best set up I have seen and very secure. usrack.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jun 22, 2008 at 5:26 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I myself am going thru a mishap, at least for me, the D-rings and the movable cleat did a fine job, it was the tailgate that failed on me, I did look at your system and it looks like that is a safe way to go, nice bikes may I add.

6. Jun 22, 2008 at 8:05 AM
    ricepow

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport
    Damn. Sorry to hear that man. I guess I am fortunate because I just got mine and based on the VIN in the tailgate TSB mine has the update. Good luck with yours.

7. Jun 22, 2008 at 8:51 AM
    ricepow

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport
    Thats a great idea. Thanks. Im really considering this one. From looking around it looks like I have to buy the rack then there is some kind of kit for another $50 for the Tacoma with the rail system is that right? Did you get yours from their site or another one? I cant find that Tacoma kit on their actual site but I found it on www.discountramps.com Thanks again.

8. Jun 22, 2008 at 9:14 AM
    rpoint16

rpoint16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road, Super White.
    Bone Stock
    If you must haul in the bed, Old Cow seems to have a killer set-up (ultra heavy duty, ultra $$$). I have seem many of the bed-buddy type systems at the track, thay all seem very functional. As you mentioned though, not sure about the integrity of the composite.

I use a 6X8 utility trailer myself

good luck

9. Jun 22, 2008 at 3:58 PM
    Oldcow

Oldcow Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 black TRD Sport
    I got mine from usrack.com and received great service. Tell them you have a Taco and they will set you up, seems to me the extra kit for it was $25, definitely not $50. Its the cradle rack. http://www.usrack.com/motorcycle_rack.shtml

10. Feb 18, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    beehunt

beehunt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, Ca
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport Black Sand Pearl
    3in Level kit
    i know that this was an old thread and i am sure you have found out how to do this but i just stumbled arcoss this pic on the net

[​IMG]

hope it helps maybe i have put ONE bike in my bed using the rails and the tie downs but not 2

11. Feb 18, 2009 at 10:59 AM
    weihenstephaner

weihenstephaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 TRD OR DC SB Mag Grey (SOLD)
    Bought a Tundra
    That picture makes it look like the bikes are held in place with twine. :eek:

12. Feb 18, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    CRFan1

CRFan1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Pre-Runner
    DNX5120, Audsion AMp, Hertz Speakers
    Old cow...Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! I have debating this since I got my 08 a month ago. I carry my CR500AF and my sons CR125 and I just ordered on from US rack...called them and they were super nice! No tax, free shipping 244 bucks for your set up....SWEET!!:bananadance::bananadance:

I know it ain't the prettiest thing but I go riding EVERY sunday with my son and friends and I need something stable and reliable and this is it!

13. Apr 21, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    Nukewater

Nukewater Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan
    ok guys, i've used the cleats for 2+ years to haul 2 full size bikes around. Using 4 cleats it is very stable when using a fork saver.

101_2793.jpg

14. Jun 10, 2010 at 9:29 PM
    DionysiosA76

DionysiosA76 Captain Analyzer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dionysios
    Barrington, IL
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco Sport DC 6 spd-SOLD FOR CUMMINS
    Totally custom straight pipe exhaust sourced from an 01 Cummins (fabbed up by yours truly), ScanGaugeII, Westin Bull Bars, air horns, Truxedo tunneau, Black decals, Black rotors, black calipers, Secondary Air filter removal, reengineered dirtbike hauler, auxillary back up lights, blacked out tail lights, socked by Sockmonkey, blacked out hi-stop, TRD stickers (+300hp :) Owens Running Boards, Greek flag shifter, Garmin Nuvi 755w GPS, Cobra 25ltd CB with a 4' fiberglass whip... and never paid anyone nuttin to do it.
    This is how I spend my weekends... not really much of a problem. (07 CR 125 and KTM 200EXC)

DSC00494.jpg
    DSC00495.jpg
    DSC00480.jpg

15. Jun 10, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    those are awesome! I was looking for somthing like that for mountain bikes!!!

16. Jun 11, 2010 at 12:07 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    I don't understand what everyone's problem is with the stock rail/cleat system when hauling dirt bikes. I agree that the cleats are not as strong as they should be. But for hauling 2 dirt bikes under 250-300 pounds each the system works fine. The problem arises when people bear down hard on the tie-down straps -- they don't need to be super tight! Your brappy baby will not grow wings and fly out of the bed. You just need to make sure of three things: 1) the straps are slightly tighter than needed to keep the bike upright when the truck is stopped; 2) the strap hooks don't come off the anchor points; and 3) the forks are blocked open with a 2x4 or similar between the tire and the lower triple tree. Put a bungee between the two strap hook eyes on each strap so no matter how much slack occurs in a turn or bump, the hooks never come off the anchor points -- there is always tension keeping them hooked. It also helps to put the bike in first gear, and secure the rear wheel(s) with a rope or bungee or something so it can't shift side-to-side too far. My biggest problem is keeping the rest of my gear from sliding or blowing out of the bed -- can't close the tailgate after loading the bikes.

If you're hauling a harley or a cruiser or big sport bike, that's another story entirely and a custom or aftermarket rail system would probably be in order.

17. Jun 11, 2010 at 12:12 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    I dont know man, ive had to go through some rough shit to get to the staging area and my rails were screaming. Yes they held but itd be way better to have something like this. I might start playing with the welder and make me one...

18. Jun 11, 2010 at 1:47 AM
    Tackz

Tackz Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Palm Beach, FL.
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport DC/LB 4x4
    That exhaust outlet is nice!

19. Jun 14, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Auto
    This looks good. I like the ability to haul one bike in the middle. Looks better, imo. www.yotarack.com. It looks much less expensive, too. How much was the US racks one? Their website makes it look like it is 400+bucks??

20. Jun 22, 2010 at 6:48 AM
    korslite

korslite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    Hey guys, i'm curious if anyone here has any experience hauling street bikes with the US rack system using the tacoma rails. I am looking for a setup capable of hauling two sport bikes on occasion. I'm wondering if the rack will more evenly distribute the load on the rails and make it a little more secure because i know i would not trust them on their own for securing either of my bikes. Has anyone seen pics of this being done? Thanks a lot for any help. I may end up having to make something if this isn't the ticket like Yoytoda was saying.

Products Discussed in

To Top