1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hauling dirt bikes

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bebop, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Jun 20, 2017 at 7:56 AM
    Sideways1

Sideways1 Old Dirt Rider

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB Pyrite Mica
    ADS 2.5 with Extended travel/ADS 2.5 Piggyback rear. Dakars. Pelfreybilt Aluminum front bumper,Skid and Brute Force Fab HC rear bumper. 5 x SCS Stealth 6's in Matte Bronze wrapped in Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Wet Okole front and rear seat covers. Wilco Bed Rail Tire Carrier. Light Racing Upper Control Arms. Marshall Fabrications sliders with kick out. Mobtown Tailgate Reinforcement Skin. hyper15125 retrofits. And many many odds and ends.
  2. Jun 20, 2017 at 7:56 AM
    smw62891

smw62891 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DCSB
    Don't ride anymore due to work and injuries but used to have 2 bikes in my truck 3-4 times a week. OP, like others have mentioned seems like the bikes aren't being pulled forward enough. I used to run a third strap behind the back wheel, not super tight but enough to hold the bikes forward along with handlebar straps and never had a problem with this method.

Also I did use a fork saver/seal saver. For me, it worked great as long as it was super snug. I would keep a much closer eye on it when driving offroad though. Constant bumps can wiggle it lose.

Look at post 13 in this thread. Something like this might help and keep you from taking up any space in your bed.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/anyone-got-pics-of-2-dirt-bikes-in-there-truck.264479/

3. Jun 20, 2017 at 7:58 AM
    Drtgrl

Drtgrl Minus member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alana
    Foothills
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM Tacoma DCLB
    BAMF sliders with kick up. BAMF all skids. Icons w/ CDC up front. Icon UCA's. All pro expos with 12” kings in rear. Wheelers superbumps. 285 stt pros on black 16" fj wheels. 1" Bora wheel spacers. Relentless tailgate reinforcement. Ditch lights front and rear. Aironboard switches. Aux. bussman box.Center console vault. Esp locking storage. Tuffy bed box. Rear seat molle system. Color matched grill.Rear diff breather mod. ABS switch. PrInSu cab rack. Gusseted spindles.
    I have the same issue 1 out of 10 times. I use the fork brace, pull straps and the d rings in the bed. Not sure what causes it but out of 6 different pickups and a trailer , my tacoma is the only one it does this with. I like @nd4spdbh idea as it seems like it needs a counter strap when it's happening. Or you could try this
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/front-rail-tie-down-wheel-chock-system.483012/
    No experience with it but it sure looks good

4. Jun 20, 2017 at 9:17 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    I have never used a fork brace in all the years (20) of riding motorcycles n hauling them around, never once had an issues with a leaky fork etc. I like the fact that the bike can move around under its own suspension if necessary.

Obviously i dont let the bike sit compressed overnight or when not moving, but 8+ hr drives cinched down and no issues ever.

I have also never liked a tie down rail like above, the thin metal sitting slicing into a front tire for a LONG drive doesnt sound like a good idea.

I am actually probably going to take a 3 or 4in PVC pipe and cut it in half to create a half circle to cup a front tire nice, then bolt that to two of the OEM bed cleats

5. Jun 20, 2017 at 9:32 AM
    Sideways1

Sideways1 Old Dirt Rider

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB Pyrite Mica
    ADS 2.5 with Extended travel/ADS 2.5 Piggyback rear. Dakars. Pelfreybilt Aluminum front bumper,Skid and Brute Force Fab HC rear bumper. 5 x SCS Stealth 6's in Matte Bronze wrapped in Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Wet Okole front and rear seat covers. Wilco Bed Rail Tire Carrier. Light Racing Upper Control Arms. Marshall Fabrications sliders with kick out. Mobtown Tailgate Reinforcement Skin. hyper15125 retrofits. And many many odds and ends.

After many 3+ hour bike hauls, the "thin metal" as you say has not even made a mark on my tires. So that statement is wrong.

Dan

6. Jun 20, 2017 at 10:11 AM
    NM Lance

NM Lance Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's exactly what I was afraid of and why I never used one. I blew a fork seal one time from ratcheting the forks down too tightly, but I think it was sanded-out and about to blow anyway.

AJH387[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top