1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Have I found a possible Autotrader scam?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Khaos, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Sep 27, 2008 at 12:29 PM
    Khaos

Khaos [OP] Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    So I was on Autotrader Today and I came across a few trucks that where priced to low to be true. I'm talking about 4x4 double cabs with low miles, no wrecks or anything, under $10K. All of the ads in question don't say much about these trucks, but they are all modded trucks.

One was a 4x4 TRD Sport with an ARB bumper for $9,500 and like 20K miles, and another was a "4x4 XSP", and a few others. The X-SP was listed at $9,500, yet when I looked at the pics I recognized the truck as a TN FL member, the truck was listed in Texas. It was also listed as a 4x4, when I know the truck in question is a Prerunner. I already PM'd the guy who owned the truck to let him know somethings going on, but now I'm curious myself. These pics where all stolen off the guys Cardomain site.

Anybody else find this fishy? All these trucks have been listed within the last week or so, all ask you to reply to a different email than the one listed with autotrader, and all are '07 DC 4x4s with less than 20K miles for near 10K.

I'm comtemplating responding to one of the ads in question to see what the guy says...

2. Sep 27, 2008 at 12:38 PM
    jolayiv

jolayiv Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hertford NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD 4x4 Off-Road
    Revenge-Fab Sliders, AVS Vent Guards, Rear TSB, Hose clamp MOD, Locker MOD, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow, Midland Radio, Wilson 1000 antenna, Rear Diff breather MOD, Weathertech liners, Maglite mount, Bed Divider, LEER 100XR, Pop&Lock
    I have never found a scam on Autotrader but I have found plenty on Craigslist.

3. Sep 27, 2008 at 12:43 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    We do have some grass and trees. ;) The whole state is not a desert...

4. Sep 27, 2008 at 12:47 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    There was still snow on this one mountain outside of Flagstaff in July.

5. Sep 27, 2008 at 12:55 PM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    06 DC PreRunner TRD Off Road with 25k on it, $7400 on craigslist in Texas.

If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

The listing was taken off 48hrs after it posted. Not sure if someone actually bought it or if it was closed for some other reason.

6. Sep 27, 2008 at 2:08 PM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    Flagstaff has grass and trees....... Winslow, Holbrook?

7. Sep 27, 2008 at 10:24 PM
    aww1970

aww1970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD Long Box
    I saw the ads- Scams for sure. No phone numbers just gmail aaddresses.

I like to phuck with these scam dudes. Tell them you want to buy the truck, have some fun with these douche nozzles!!!

8. Sep 27, 2008 at 10:35 PM
    Khaos

Khaos [OP] Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Update: I heard back from the real owner of the truck. This add is a phony. Called the phone # on the ad, its a phony.

Been thinking about emailing the guy and telling him I want to come look at the truck and buy it. See what he says...

9. Sep 28, 2008 at 10:47 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I'm from upstate NY, I know what you mean. ;) I miss real greenery the most. But I'll never go back to such a liberal state.

10. Oct 1, 2008 at 4:58 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    This is what the scammers say...... I was bored so I sent em an email :rolleyes: Their responses are downright criminal lies and to believe someone would just send 5k sight unseen for a truck 10k under book the poser doesn't even own .... the whole divorce angle, arranging the shipping service for me & for only $350 gee what a guy! I better start wiring that money now...... NOT.

Here's the script:

Me: Hi that is one sweet tacoma and I am very interested. How do I go about buying it? Have cash want to deal.

Poser: Hello,
    I appreciate that you contacted me. First let me say that the Tacoma is available for $9,000 ( final price ).
    I purchased this truck new in January of this year and have maintained it to perfection.
    Equipped with a 4.0L DOHC EFI V-6 that produces 236 hp & 266 ft lbs of pulling power.
    Locking rear differential, engine skid plate and fuel tank protector, front tow hook, 115V/400-watt deck-mounted power outlet, multi-function overhead console with compass and outside temperature gauge, Sport seats with Sport fabric and driver's lumbar support and TRD Off-Road graphics, JBL in-dash 6-CD premium audio 4.0L V6 Tow Package, includes-Class-4 towing hitch, supplemental engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler, heavy-duty battery, 130-amp alternator and 7-pin connector with converter.
    It is in good condition, there's not scratches or any dents on it,very well maintained,please check the pictures, I have a clear title for it, no liens or loans. I also hand washed the car once a week and wax it every few months!
    A Totally Rust, Corrosion And Flood Free Vehicle.Never been in any accidents.
    Where are you located?
    The reason why I'm selling it's my divorced settlement.....
    If you have any further questions please do not hesitate ask
    Best Regards
    Paul SMith

Me:
    Hi Paul, Thanks for the reply, sounds like a sweet truck. I am up in northern cali, outside of Santa Cruz. I'm retired from the service & work for myself so I am looking to add to my fleet of trucks for my business. I gotta say that price is waaaay under book value and so
    well taken care of, it sounds too good to be true. But I know what divorce can do. When can I come look at it. I'm open to any time and willing to travel and will have cash in hand. Let me know if you haven't sold it.

Poser:
    Hello,
    I don't want to sell it at the real price because my wife will be awarded most of the money, the lower the sticker price,the less i have to give to her, got it?
    I am recently moved at my residence house because of my divorce.
    I live in TX and the tacoma will be shipped from here at your earliest convenience.
    I can handle the shipping for you if you will agree to buy it..I have a friend who owes me a favor.
    I guess you should not lose this opportunity to own it.
    I dropped my bottom line sale price to $9,350 this includes the shipping fees and the insurance.
    I will only require a refundable downpayment of $5,350 (in held by ebay till you receive and inspect the vehicle)
    and the remainder of the balance upon the inspection period (5 days).. I guess it's pretty fair ... The ball is in your court.
    It will be insured during transportation and will be delivered in 3 days at your door.
    The transaction will be made under eBay's buyer protection plan.
    Please let me know if you have the funds available and wish to explain you the payment process.
    Looking forward to hearing from you
    Paul Smith
    xxx Hauff Ln,
    Brownsville, TX 78521-4993

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Oct 1, 2008 at 5:20 AM
    rlanicek

rlanicek Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    Yep, it's a scam. I found a too-good-to-be-true deal in Dallas, phone number was in Louisiana (and disconnected). Supposedly for sale by owner but the pic looked like a dealer pic with clear floor coverings on the carpet. My emails with the "seller" were similar to the post above. I reported it to Autotrader.

12. Aug 7, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    adamrsu

adamrsu Member

Member:
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    TRD SR5 off-road
    3 inch Tuff Country lift. Lund Hood Scoop. Painted Wheels.
    Watch for a guy named Lt. Michael Ray. Claims he's a guy that just got shipped over to Iraq and the truck is still in the US. Wants to do the entire deal using paypall or ebay. And wants your full name and address by the end of the first email so he can get "the ball rolling" aka your freaking money. haha Scam for sure.

13. Aug 7, 2009 at 2:32 PM
    coma09

coma09 Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    Absolutely a scam.
    Haven't read all the posts here - but these guys provide authentic looking documentation.

Problem is, once you pay - you're done. Even eBay/paypal can't help you.

Autotrader, and Kijiji both have these pricks on-board. Many are women ... or pretending to be women.

If you can't go see it first, it's a scam.

Products Discussed in

To Top