1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Having Issues with Rear Leaf Spring Recall with Toyota and the Dealership.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hilborn, May 25, 2017.

1. May 25, 2017 at 10:41 AM
    Hilborn

Hilborn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    ADD W1 Oil Catch Can. Anderson Engineering Solutions Manifold Spacer. ARK Splash Guards. AVS Door Sill Protectors. BAMF Bolt-On Rock Sliders. BAMF CMC Plates. BedRug. Bilstein 5100 Shocks. Bora 0.75" Spacers (Front). Brute Force HC Rear Bumper. C4 Engine Skid. C4 Transmission Skid. C4 Transfer Case Skid. C4 Fuel Tank Skid. C4 Rear Diff Skid. Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 285/70-17. Detroit Trutrac Rear Differential. Differential Breather Relocation. ECGS Bushing. Expedition Essentials Bedside ARB Air Compressor Mount. Garmin NUVI GPS. Genesis Gen 3 Dual Battery System w/ G Screen. HCF Delete. Husky Floor Liners. Hypertech In-Line Speedometer Calibrator (@1.038). IGGY Switch Panel. JBA UCA. Leer 100XQ. Magnaflow Muffler. Method Vex Titanium 17x8.5. Yukon 4.56 Gears. Odyssey Performance Group 34 Batteries (2). OME 886x Coil Springs. OME Carrier Bearing Spacers. OME CS047R Dakar Leaf Springs w/ D29XL. Pakrax Tailgate Panel. Pinch Weld Mod. Pop n' Lock. Power Stop Z36 Truck and Tow Brake Pads. rcbs204 Illumited 4x4 Switch. Rexing V1 Dash Cam. Scanguage 2 w/ TFT. Stahlbus Oil Drain Plug. Stoptech Cryo-Treated Rotors. Sway Bar Delete. ToyTec Axle Degree Shims. URD 170° Thermostat. URD Exhaust Cam Gears. USA Spec IPod Interface. Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator. Voltage Booster Pro. Wheeler's 3/8" Top Plate Spacer (Driver). Wheeler's Brake Lines. Wheeler's Front SuperBumps with 3/8" Spacers. Wheeler's U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ SuperBumps.
    I have made several attempts to claim reimbursement for parts and labor for defective rear leaf springs for my truck since September 2013. Every attempt has been countered with another request for additional information by Toyota. I am seeking a resolution to this issue and request assistance to end the cycle. Below is the history of what has transpired on this claim which seems to indicate that Toyota is not as customer committed as they might believe.

Claim history:

1) August 2013 – Took vehicle into dealership for broken leaf spring. Toyota dealership denied repair of leaf springs due to vehicle being out of warranty. Forced to repair out of pocket since I had to drive my vehicle to work. I ended up purchasing a set of OME from the dealership.

2) 10/20/14 – Inquired about the rear spring issue to Toyota Customer Service (web form)

3) 10/24/14 – Notified by Toyota Customer Service that my vehicle was part the SSC recall for Rear Leaf Spring but remedy was not yet available.

4) July 2016 – Received Toyota recall Interim Notice

5) 7/10/16 – Submitted first reimbursement request to Toyota Motor Sales with invoices attached.

6) September 2016 – Received Toyota recall Remedy Notice – 14V-604

7) 10/05/166 – Submitted second reimbursement request since no response received for request made on 7/10/16.

8) 12/1/16 – Received letter from Toyota Motor Sales requesting additional information:

· Reason the vehicle brought into the repair facility?

· The repair facility diagnosis?

· The repair performed in order to correct the concern?

· Proof of payment

9) 2/17/17 – Contacted Toyota Motor Sales to check on claim status. Again request for additional information.

· Proof of ownership

· Proof of payment

10) 3/8/17 - Visited the repair Toyota dealership who confirmed all documentation requested by Toyota Sales has been provided.

Toyota is now telling me that the dealership whom did the repairs doesn't have documentation on the reason why I had the rear leaf springs replaced or even if they were damaged. I can't get either party to work with the other. I'm at my wits end and considering hiring a lawyer. Has anyone else had issues with the recall, either it be reimbursement or replacement?

Below is the pic I have of the rear leaf spring that snapped on me in transit.

Broken Leaf Spring.jpg

2. May 25, 2017 at 11:38 AM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    A copy of the repair order is all that you should need for proof of diagnosis. It contains the compliant, cause and correction. Can you actually call Toyota with a case/file number and discuss it with a person. It sounds a lot like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. If you got someone on the phone that would go over the information and actually see everything is there then you might get somewhere.

Keep yelling for a supervisor until you get to someone that gets it.

Blockhead likes this.
  3. May 25, 2017 at 11:46 AM
    Hilborn

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    ADD W1 Oil Catch Can. Anderson Engineering Solutions Manifold Spacer. ARK Splash Guards. AVS Door Sill Protectors. BAMF Bolt-On Rock Sliders. BAMF CMC Plates. BedRug. Bilstein 5100 Shocks. Bora 0.75" Spacers (Front). Brute Force HC Rear Bumper. C4 Engine Skid. C4 Transmission Skid. C4 Transfer Case Skid. C4 Fuel Tank Skid. C4 Rear Diff Skid. Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 285/70-17. Detroit Trutrac Rear Differential. Differential Breather Relocation. ECGS Bushing. Expedition Essentials Bedside ARB Air Compressor Mount. Garmin NUVI GPS. Genesis Gen 3 Dual Battery System w/ G Screen. HCF Delete. Husky Floor Liners. Hypertech In-Line Speedometer Calibrator (@1.038). IGGY Switch Panel. JBA UCA. Leer 100XQ. Magnaflow Muffler. Method Vex Titanium 17x8.5. Yukon 4.56 Gears. Odyssey Performance Group 34 Batteries (2). OME 886x Coil Springs. OME Carrier Bearing Spacers. OME CS047R Dakar Leaf Springs w/ D29XL. Pakrax Tailgate Panel. Pinch Weld Mod. Pop n' Lock. Power Stop Z36 Truck and Tow Brake Pads. rcbs204 Illumited 4x4 Switch. Rexing V1 Dash Cam. Scanguage 2 w/ TFT. Stahlbus Oil Drain Plug. Stoptech Cryo-Treated Rotors. Sway Bar Delete. ToyTec Axle Degree Shims. URD 170° Thermostat. URD Exhaust Cam Gears. USA Spec IPod Interface. Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator. Voltage Booster Pro. Wheeler's 3/8" Top Plate Spacer (Driver). Wheeler's Brake Lines. Wheeler's Front SuperBumps with 3/8" Spacers. Wheeler's U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ SuperBumps.
    I have. The dealership is trying to claim they dont have records stating the rear leaf spring had broken. And since dealership doesnt have a record of that, Toyota is saying that they have no proof I even had a problem before replacement.

4. May 25, 2017 at 1:38 PM
    OKTACO

OKTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 Taco
    Shoot me your vin I can verify what's in the service history if you want

tomwil likes this.
  5. May 25, 2017 at 3:04 PM
    Hilborn

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    It ill not be on there. All they did was tell me they were broken. The repair wasnt under warranty and the recall wasnt in effect for my VIN yet. So no acion was taken for them to put it on a service report.

6. May 25, 2017 at 3:12 PM
    OKTACO

OKTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 Taco
    What did they put on the repair order then? just replaced springs customer request?

7. May 25, 2017 at 4:39 PM
    Hilborn

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Nah. I had to replace them out of pocket since the recall wasnt in effect and the vehicle was out of warranty.

8. May 25, 2017 at 5:47 PM
    magnetic4x4

magnetic4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Magnetic Gray DCSB XSP-X 4x4
    If the dealership replaced them for you, there will be a repair order. Every vehicle that comes into the dealership for work gets written up on an RO (repair order). Doesn't matter if it's customer pay or warranty. It's the only way to keep track of every single vehicle and it's history that comes in for service.
    Somebody didn't do their job. That should have been documented in a RO when you had them fix it. You should have gotten a receipt or a copy of the RO when you paid.

9. May 25, 2017 at 5:59 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    This doesnt matter, as others said, there should always an RO no matter the circumstances.

10. May 25, 2017 at 6:35 PM
    Hilborn

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    And I agree. But the dealership says that they don't have it and Toyota says they need it to reimburse me. That's why I am considering taking legal action.

11. May 25, 2017 at 6:40 PM
    OKTACO

OKTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 Taco
    Did they put the springs on or did you

12. May 25, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    HeavyLifter

HeavyLifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Athens, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    If you had your truck serviced for any reason at the dealership, it is on record in the computer. If you have the receipt from said dealership, how can they dispute it?

13. May 25, 2017 at 10:34 PM
    Hilborn

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    When they did the repairs, they didnt make note the reason why i was having the springs repalced. I believe they did it on purpose so when I came back during the recall, they wouldnt have to refund me parts and labor.

14. May 25, 2017 at 10:35 PM
    IronPeak

IronPeak PermaLurker

Member:
    First Name:
    AuggieX
    Back to Back
    Vehicle:
    2007 sr5 4x4 DCLB/2015 TRD sport 4x4 DCLB sold
    Bigger Taller Slower
    This

15. May 26, 2017 at 3:25 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Can you post a picture of the repair order/receipt you received when getting it fixed at the dealer?

16. May 26, 2017 at 3:41 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Why not just give the guy your VIN so he can run it and definitively tell you what's on there? He helped out another member the other day who got the wrong replacement headlights and now that member has all the ammo they need to get it properly repaired.

17. May 26, 2017 at 4:06 AM
    Blockhead

Blockhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2019 magnetic gray DCLB
    Something doesn't sound right here. Between the repair history and the recall there's a communication gap. I would go back to the dealer with paperwork in hand and NICELY explain the situation to the service manager and then start making calls (not emails) to Toyota corporate. If that fails, a lawyer is your next move...good luck

18. May 26, 2017 at 5:44 AM
    OKTACO

OKTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 Taco
    This is a extremely frustrating situation, i have never seen service history so poorly input in a system in my life, there is zero notes on pretty much every repair on this vehicle.

Which is completely against everything Toyota trains/expects of dealers to provide payment on claims.

I am of no help in this situation, really the only recourse is going to be contacting Toyota directly and escalating the situation until some sort of resolution or legal action.

19. May 26, 2017 at 5:44 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    That's really unfortunate for the OP. Hopefully it gets resolved one way or another.

20. May 26, 2017 at 8:12 AM
    Hilborn

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Its saddening to me because I bought the vehicle there brand new. I've had every oil change and service performed at this location to make sure I was able to keep a good solid record of service records. I feel betrayed by Toyota in the fact I have been shown no costumer loyalty towards this situation.

Products Discussed in

To Top