1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hayden Transmission Oil Cooler Install

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by zero4, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Sep 4, 2010 at 12:00 AM
    DIRT YOTA

DIRT YOTA Aka EL ROJO

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Camarillo, CA
    Vehicle:
    03' dbl cab with some stuff
    Well shit!

2. Sep 4, 2010 at 1:26 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Well, if its cool enough to touch as both of you claim, thats good enough for me. Cant really touch normal operating temps of 170-180 degrees, so its definitely going on my list.

For those talking about the scangauge 2, since this guide was posted in the 1st gen section, I assumed no 2nd gens would really care.

Anyway, most people are right. The scangauge will read most auto trans (the a340e and a340f) in the late model first gen. It will not read the A44d (I believe), and I really doubt any of the manual trans have temp sensors. Also, it will not work on the 2nd gens (well, some people have worked with developers to get it to work on some platforms, but it seems the location changes a bit through the years so while it is possible, no one has made the codes public.)

As for the pre-2001's, I honestly have no clue if it will work. I can only tell you that it works on my 2002 3.4L with an A340F. Best you can do is try and see. If you have the A/T temp warming light in the instrument cluster, I'd say that there's a good chance it might work.

Here are all the scangauge programmable codes (x-gauge) that work on my truck.

MAF (Mass Air Flow)
    TXD: 07 E0 01 10
    RXF: 04 41 45 10 00 00
    RXD: 28 10
    MTH: 00 01 00 01 00 00

Trans Temp
    TXD: 68 6A F1 01 B4
    RXF: 04 41 05 B4 00 00
    RXD: 28 08
    MTH: 00 09 00 05 FF D8

Horsepower
    TXD: 00
    RXF: 40 00 80 00 00 00
    RXD: 00 00
    MTH: 00 0A 00 17 00 00

Ya, and regretfully, no self programmed codes for the ultragauge thing. Apparently it has the ability, but the dev decided it would be too confusing for people to enter a few hex codes on, so its not available. It's really a shame since if it did allow it, I'd dump the scangauge for it without hesitation just for the extra 2 readings on the screen, and the alarms would be awesome.

UtahTacoma02 likes this.
  3. Sep 4, 2010 at 2:13 AM
    zero4

zero4 [OP] Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    Keep in mind I'm just grabbing onto the hose so of course I won't be feeling nearly as close to operating temps. Trans cooler hoses are pretty thick. I only did a couple of hill climbs driving about 50. Wanted to feel how hot it was after the last wheeling trip but I forgot. Really curious on how hot it will feel on the next trip to Pismo towing 3 quads but we travel at night. I'll report back if I feel anything hotter than too hot to hold comfortably.

Anyways, thank you for the info on the SG. Mybe the UG can be hacked? I wasn't even going to buy the UG when I first saw it but after following the threads in the 2nd gen forum, the GB thread, & after talking with JAG today I decided to buy one. Was planning on buying an OBD scanner cause I need one but the UG was cheap enough to get that instead.

4. Sep 4, 2010 at 3:12 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Not sure. You might be able to pop the case and there might be some sort of data port, but as far as what he used to program and store the program and data, I wouldn't have any idea. From my understanding, there are not any external ports in the plastic housing, which would make updating pretty much not possible (same with the SG though), with out disassembly.

Dont get me wrong. It doesn't look like a bad unit at all, and has quite a bit more features than the scangauge has with out a doubt. And it being the same price as a scangauge during the group buy is a major plus. It just so happens that two of the gauges I actually do look at (HP and Trans temp) are not displayed with it. I'm sure I could get used to Load instead of HP easy enough, but the trans temp and the devs attitude about removing features because he doesn't want to support it really bugs me.

5. Sep 10, 2010 at 12:47 AM
    zero4

zero4 [OP] Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    Got the UG earlier this week. It does have an "external port" with a removable cover. Well I wouldn't really call it a port, just some traces with solder on them which looks similar to the data ports on cheap digital scales.

The manual states firmware updates are free for the first year. I'm assuming they must be using this "port" in order to do these updates assuming they will ever become available.

Thanks for confirming the A340F has a temp sensor. That's what I have but I don't ever recall seeing a trans temp warming light on my cluster. I figure if I did it would light up when the key is on? Does yours?

6. Sep 10, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    I have the A340F tranny. On the left side of the water temp gauge two things are written. Middle-left is A/T P, lower-left is A/T Oil Temp. The A/T Oil Temp lights up when I switch the ignition to the ON position.

7. Sep 10, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    zero4

zero4 [OP] Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Interesting, I guess there are more little things that 02s & up have that the 01 doesn't, for example the relocation of the ebrake cable, no driver's side "oh shit handle" (I added mine), etc.

On the left side of my engine temp guage I don't have any visible indicators (on the white face I assume you are referring too). Under the temp guage in the black area, if I shine a light I can see an ABS indicator. I don't have ABS so only the RR Diff lock lights up in this area with the key on.

On the right side under the fuel guage in the black area all I have is the windshied wiper fluid indicator & ETC.

So the A/T P does not light up? Wonder what that is, A/T pressure?

8. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:08 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    OP, late to the thread. Nice write up! +1

9. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:33 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Yeah, on the white face, in the temp gauge area.

I was curious about what the "P" is referring to. Pressure was my guess as well. But since it doesn't light up, does that mean it is non-functional?

Do you have "Fuel Door" written above your fuel gauge? Mine does but it doesn't light up either? :notsure:

Where the F@%K you been lately? I've missed you. No green please, got plenty now. :D

10. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:37 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    Lurking; not posting much lately. How'd you get so popular in my absence?:D

11. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    I think its magic. It's certainly not because I'm a "nice guy"!

12. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:46 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    :rofl:

13. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:53 PM
    zero4

zero4 [OP] Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Gracias!

I see, the white face of my temp guage is clean, nothing there. :(

Yeah I also have the "fuel door" written on my fuel gauge too. I also wondered about that when I first got the truck & expected it to light up. I found out that on most Toyotas it's not supposed to light up, if you notice it has an arrow next to it which indicates which side of the vehicle the fuel door is on. So no one should have an excuse looking like an idiot at the gas station not knowing which side of the pumps to pull up at. Yet they do anyway. :laugh:

14. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:59 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    Lol! That is is a good one.

Going back as far as I can recall, Toyota pickup trucks have always had the fuel access on the drivers side. I gues its a Toyota Thing. :p

15. Sep 10, 2010 at 9:40 PM
    DIRT YOTA

DIRT YOTA Aka EL ROJO

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Camarillo, CA
    Vehicle:
    03' dbl cab with some stuff
    So u don't have abs huh Will...I'm not even gonna mess with my ug cuz of that damn abs issue. No biggie if I make most my money back.

Yeah my truck has the at/p & oil ones too.

16. Sep 10, 2010 at 9:55 PM
    zero4

zero4 [OP] Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Even though I don't have this, I was wondering about this. Well my cluster's low windshield wiper fluid & ETC indicators do not light up with key on so perhaps this does not necessarily mean your A/T P light is non functional.

So I googled it, found a manual on the A440F by Automatic Transmission Service Group.

First off it states the A/T temp indicator lights up when fluid reaches 150°C, holy shit 300+°F is hot!

A/T P is "Automatic Transmission Parking":

So maybe this is not an 02 up thing & is specific to 4x4 only (assuming the ATP indicator is functional & the A340F has it)? Maybe the A/T Temp light only comes on 4x4s (doesn't make sense but not the first time from Toyota). After all my truck is a Prerunner so this ATP indicator would be irrelevant for my truck.

17. Sep 10, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    zero4

zero4 [OP] Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Nope. Remember that day when I was tripping off those wires coming off your UCAs? Those are the speed sensors for the ABS. Heard that ABS sucks for certain off road terrains like sand. I remember I hated the ABS on my old car but that's cause it was super slammed. Read that some SUVs have a switch to disable ABS but that is not legal to make anymore?

Does your ABS light turn on when you engage your locker? I've heard this too & if true that's pretty cool that Toyota designed the ABS to turn off when engaging the locker since it would be off road.

Another point to back up my 4x4 theory. :D

18. Sep 10, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
  19. Sep 10, 2010 at 10:19 PM
    zero4

zero4 [OP] Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Yeah I couldn't find any info about ATP on the the A340s but I didn't look hard. I guess the easiest way would be to look at the owner's manual & see if it mentions ATP.

20. Sep 10, 2010 at 10:22 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    "The propeller shaft & wheels are free even when the transmission is set to "P" as long as the shift lever is in the "neutral" position"

I'm trying to understand what this statement means. It doesn't seem to make sense. What is "P"? To me this seems to indicate Park but how can that be if the vehicle is in Neutral?

To Top