1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HAZARD SWITCH/DASH CLOCK MOD (Removing amber color)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by taco bean, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Feb 12, 2017 at 7:10 PM
    taco bean

taco bean [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 white access cab 2WD prerunner
    I scoured the net forever looking to see if anyone had done this mod with no luck. Found one guy who had put together something like mine but I took his idea and ran with it. Looked at buying a replacement too but at $180-200 just for a replacement was just criminal. Hope this step by step will help cleanse the truck of the evil amber clock display on the dash clock. Only took me an hour from start to finish and used simple tools found around the house.

For tools you will need:

1) 10mm socket wrench
    2) putty knife
    3) a sheet of clear polycarbonate .093mm thick
    4) "peel & cling" window tint
    5) super glue
    6) box cutter
    7) straight edge
    8) files
    9) electric drill

*Note: Both 3 and 4 can be found at home depot

To start I took a putty knife and slipped it under the A/C controls till it popped out and removed the back wire harness.

20170212_165114.jpg

Inside here you will need the 10mm socket wrench with an extender attached. There will be 4
    bolts to remove (shown below), be careful not to drop them as they may be lost in the void.

20170212_165221.jpg

Once you remove the bolts you should be able to pull the whole radio unit out enough to be able to remove the hazard switch/dash clock assembly. It will take a bit of prying but take you time as to not brake it. Don't forget to unplug the wire harness from the hazard switch before removing the unit from the radio.

You have removed it unit take the edge of your box cutter and pry up on the plastic covering. Again go slow as to not break the cover, you can also het it up a little with a blow dryer to loosen the adhesive on the back before prying it up. Once it is pried up set it aside as you will need it soon.

After the cover has been removed you can attempt to scrape the "amber film" on the back side of the clock to reveal the true bluish/green color of the clock, a word to the wise it will scratch really easily If you have a steady hand your welcome to try this. I attempted to do this at first
    but as you can see I destroyed mine.
    20170212_153534.jpg

Take and place the old face on the polycarbonate, using the straight edge and with the box cutter cut an outline. It will take several passes with the box cutter, if you cut deep enough you can bend and snap the piece off and file the edges to make them smooth. the dimensions of the new face plate should be 6.040"W x 1.030"H x 0.093mm thick

After it's looking clean place the old cover on top of the new one that you have made and use 2 clamps to hold them in place and take your drill to make two holes for the hour and minute buttons on the new face. You will need to file the hole out to make the accommodate the buttons. 20170212_161132.jpg
    Take the window film and cut a piece to fit and adhere it to your new face on the front side that will face out (I know it seems backwards but bare with me). After its adhered use the box cutter to cut out the holes for the hour and minute buttons.
    20170212_154417.jpg

Old vs New.

This is where I got lazy. I didn't leave the passenger airbag light, seatbelt and alarm light on mine. I could not get a template to duplicate them onto my new one so I blacked it out. If you know how to get a template to do this go for it but it will require more work of soldering new lights onto the back board. Was going to be to much work so I took the easy way out.

To the right of the clock controls one piece of film was not enough to do the trick. I used four pieces of film cut to fit and placed those on the back side of the new face to shield any light from coming through. I also added a sticker to the front side to fill the void and now my Taco runs faster too. After adhering all the film I put a couple drops of super glue to hold the face plate on.20170212_163609.jpg

Popped it back into the head unit reattached the wire harness. Screwed everything back into place and BOOM looks like a brand new unit.
    20170212_165239.jpg
    Now it she looks good cleansed of the amber. Hope this helps anyone else who has been struggling with this mod.

2. Mar 14, 2017 at 4:24 PM
    bartholomew07

bartholomew07 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB Sport 4x4 6 spd
    Finally! I've been looking for info on this for a while, hope I can make it look as good
    Now I need a better option for the climate control light color. I need them to match the blue and white on the rest of my radio/ cluster

3. Mar 14, 2017 at 4:28 PM
    bartholomew07

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB Sport 4x4 6 spd

Is the amber tint that covers the clock on the front or back of the cover?

4. Mar 20, 2017 at 12:58 PM
    bartholomew07

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB Sport 4x4 6 spd
    @taco bean
    Alright I'm really thankful I found your right up, and with all due respect, I modified your method just a bit.

Once I got the plastic off I didn't want to replace the whole piece. I used 50grit sand paper to remove all of the orange tint. I buffed it with 100 and 220 grit after and it left the plastic extremely scratched, clear, but hard to see through.
    My brother had some scratch remover though.

IMG_3616.jpg

It took about a dozen applications of the #2 fine scratch remover to get it looking good.
    IMG_3612.jpg

I simply used a few drops off gorilla super glue to put the plastic back on and viola!
    IMG_3615.jpg

Next up is the climate controls and my dash will be amber freee!!!

Thanks @taco bean i couldn't have done it without your pioneering!

5. May 14, 2017 at 5:24 AM
    sfcacique

sfcacique Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    4WD TRD Access Cab
    Thule Racks with Hullavator, Pioneer Stereo/Nav
    Templates can be made easily by simply photocopying the piece you need a template. Easiest for flat pieces, but you can adjust a bit.

6. Oct 25, 2017 at 5:42 PM
    09doublecab83

09doublecab83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2009 Champagne doublecab
    How could i go about making it white? Im doing white and blue inside, and want it to be white..... options?

7. Jun 4, 2018 at 11:43 AM
    VA Tacoma

VA Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Roanoke, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 AC 4x4 SR5 off road 4.0 super white
    bone stock
    Great ideas. I used 3000 grit sandpaper and had few scratches to get out.
    Thanks guys

8. Jul 6, 2018 at 5:05 PM
    ronrachel

ronrachel New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ron
    Vehicle:
    2005 toyota tacoma TRD
    is the amber color on top or inside?

9. Jul 6, 2018 at 7:20 PM
    VA Tacoma

VA Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Roanoke, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 AC 4x4 SR5 off road 4.0 super white
    bone stock
    Inside. Finished product is easily visible in any light. Good luck.

10. Jan 4, 2022 at 11:11 PM
    Airdreams

Airdreams Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    2005 access cab
    Softopper, 2022 TRD suspension, 2020 TRD Wheels, Pioneer stereo, K&N

So all you had to do was remove the amber tint & nothing else?

11. Apr 18, 2022 at 5:28 AM
    RedJacketRider

RedJacketRider New Member

Member:
    Houghton, MI
    Vehicle:
    2008 Reg Cab 2.7 4spd
    Just a little tip for people doing this in the future, the amber on mine wiped off easily with a bit of lacquer thinner on a rag. No need for knives and scratches. Just a little solvent and the color came right off.

Watermallon and TRDMopar like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top