1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HD Radio Reception/Opinions

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Johnpa, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Mar 27, 2008 at 3:03 AM
    Johnpa

Johnpa [OP] Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 PreRunner, Roof Racks, Short Bed in Radiant Red
    Extang Tonneu Cover, Nasta Bars, Magnet Bra, BedXTender,
    Does anyone have HD Radio installed in their Taco and if so what kind of reception quality or lack of do you experience?

I found a head unit (Dual XHD6430) that is inexpensive enough to try out, but wanted to get some feedback from other users.

This is a great forum - Thanks for all of the input and advice!

2. Apr 22, 2008 at 10:04 PM
    L8Rmike

L8Rmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goose Creek, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 White DC LB 4x4 sport
    Did you ever get your Duel HD deck? I have a built-in HD JVC deck that I am happy with. Both the power and the HD part of it. The HD reception is great in this area (843 area code), but I did google for HD stations in my area before I went with HD. Also, up until a few day ago the HD reception for some of the clearchannels (CC) went down for a couple of weeks. I got no reply from CC when I e-mail them as to why. So far the bonus with HD is the 2nd and sometimes 3rd station on one setting. As in 104.5 has a HD1 (regular station) and a HD2 station (different format). The HD2 that I listen to is commercial free. Mike

3. Apr 24, 2008 at 2:40 AM
    Johnpa

Johnpa [OP] Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 PreRunner, Roof Racks, Short Bed in Radiant Red
    Extang Tonneu Cover, Nasta Bars, Magnet Bra, BedXTender,
    I did buy the Dual Head Unit from my local Best Buy for $59 on clearance. I picked up my face plate and wiring kit from Beach Audio for $39, so for under $100, I made a huge leap in audio quality and choices.

I love the HD radio station selections and have also noticed that some of the stations would drop off occasionally but I thought it was only a reception issue and not caused by Clear Channel. I haven't had much luck picking any HD stations up on AM. Only one station shows up as HD, but the HD icon never stops flashing. I will have to keep checking on the HD stations here in South FL for additions.

I remounted my Garmin Nuvi 660 from it's original location on the center console cup holder to the empty compartment under the new radio. I use a short cable from the Nuvi output jack to the Duals' front panel input jack and can play my Mp3's from the Nuvi on the radio. I used to rely on the Nuvis' FM modulator for this connection which was marginal at best, but now everything is chrystal clear.

My Nuvi also has bluetooth, so when my cell rings, I push the Aux button on the Dual HU and I am talking through my car radio.

Even if you didn't have the Nuvi and it's functions, a small Mp3 player would be a nice addition to this set up.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the new arraingement and choices I have for entertainment in my Taco.

I have pictures of my setup under "JOHNPA" but I can't figure out how to attache them to this message.

Products Discussed in

To Top