1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Head on radio bolt broken off, help!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TRDPrerunner, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Oct 22, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    TRDPrerunner

TRDPrerunner [OP] Member

Member:
    Boaz, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008, Trd Sport Mall Crawler
    3" Revtek Spacer lift with rear Add-a-leaf, 285/70/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3's, Pioneer Touch Screen Head Unit, Memphis SR 6x9's in the front, Upgraded front tweeters, Rear Memphis SR 6x1/2's, 2 Rockford Fosgate P1 Subs in custom box behind the back seat, Memphis SR 1000 watt amp, BHLM, DRL Toggle Switch, Switchback LEDs (See csjumper2003! Coolest thing I've bought for the truck!), Black Tacoma badges, AVS Tail Light covers, "Roll Tide" 3rd Brake Light decal (See sockmonkey!), Secondary Air Filter Removed, and an Oil Catch Can to make the truck last longer than I do!
    Hey guys,
    I have a Pioneer Double-Din in my 08 Double Cab, i had the radio installed by a local audio shop and I noticed the dash kit was sticking out and not fitting right. Well come to find out, when i started to try to fix it, the bolt head from the radio mounting bolt (bottom left) was broken off, causing the radio to sag down and make the dash kit stick out! How can i get this thing out?? I've thought about trying to drill it out, but that bolt is pretty far back in the dash! Anyone have any ideas?

2. Oct 22, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    If it was put in by a shop just take it back to them and have them fix it. If they ask you didn't do anything to it.

3. Oct 22, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    Judging by his problem, I would assume that the shop that he had his equipment installed at is not very prestigious. Most places that are willing to let something like that leave their shop have a "tail light" warranty (the warranty lasts as long as they can see your tail lights when you pull off).

OP; If the head is completely off the bolt, you should be able to take out the other three bolts holding the radio in, take the radio out, and disassemble the dash pieces surrounding it. Having this extra room to work will allow you to assess the best way to get that bolt out. You could probably get a replacement bolt from the Toyota dealership for pretty cheap if you can't find a good replacement. Hopefully you can spin the bolt all the way through the threading, but I'm not sure what else might work without having seen the situation first hand.

4. Oct 22, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    If the actual thread piece is sticking out you might Dremel a flat notch in it and use a screwdriver on it...

5. Oct 22, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    TRDPrerunner

TRDPrerunner [OP] Member

Member:
    Boaz, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    3" Revtek Spacer lift with rear Add-a-leaf, 285/70/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3's, Pioneer Touch Screen Head Unit, Memphis SR 6x9's in the front, Upgraded front tweeters, Rear Memphis SR 6x1/2's, 2 Rockford Fosgate P1 Subs in custom box behind the back seat, Memphis SR 1000 watt amp, BHLM, DRL Toggle Switch, Switchback LEDs (See csjumper2003! Coolest thing I've bought for the truck!), Black Tacoma badges, AVS Tail Light covers, "Roll Tide" 3rd Brake Light decal (See sockmonkey!), Secondary Air Filter Removed, and an Oil Catch Can to make the truck last longer than I do!
    I've tried taking the unit out, and dis-assembling the dash pieces around it, but I didn't get anywhere. I just tried drilling it out to no prevail, and the threads aren't stuck out at all. I'm thinking it was wayyy too over torqued. I'm going to take it back to them tomorrow to see what they can do, they have been pretty good about standing behind their work in the past with me. But if all else fails, I work at a Toyota dealership and I might be able to get one of the tech's to help me out. Unless anyone else has any ideas.

6. Oct 22, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    TRDPrerunner

TRDPrerunner [OP] Member

Member:
    Boaz, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

Here's the little bastard himself

7. Oct 22, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    TRDPrerunner

TRDPrerunner [OP] Member

Member:
    Boaz, Alabama
    Vehicle:
  8. Oct 23, 2012 at 1:58 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
  9. Oct 25, 2012 at 4:17 AM
    TRDPrerunner

TRDPrerunner [OP] Member

Member:
    Boaz, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I took it to the service dept. at the dealer today, one of the tech's worked on it for about 30 minutes, got the bolt out, and didn't charge me a dime!

Products Discussed in

To Top