1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Head unit install in a 98

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by beatle, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Feb 21, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    beatle

beatle [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Springfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4l SR5 TRD
    I've got a new-to-me head unit on the way and I'd like to be ready to put it in. I've installed a dozen or so in various cars, but I've had instructions. Most of the write-ups on here deal with 2nd gen trucks. Anyone have any good instructions on a 1st gen, preferably an earlier 1st gen?

Doing some searching I found this writeup which isn't bad, but it doesn't get into details of putting in a headunit: http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=77

I have a harness on the way, but do I need an install / trim kit? Does it use a DIN sleeve or bolt to the side against existing brackets? Just looking to have all my ducks in a row so the number of surprises are minimal on install day. :cool:

2. Apr 3, 2011 at 4:19 AM
    beatle

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Springfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4l SR5 TRD
    Bump. I finally got around to installing the headunit. It does not fit properly with the factory bracket. It does bolt up, but the placement of the screw holes is such that the headunit sits too high in the dash and thus is not able to open. I'm planning to tear it back apart today. Has anyone else had this issue? Do you need an aftermarket kit to install a headunit into a 98?

3. Apr 3, 2011 at 4:44 AM

52419 Well-Known Member

Member:
    someplace
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma lifted 6in on 35s
    fabtech 6in lift, 35.12.50.16s,on mt classics
    i would imagine you would need a dash kit i got to have on for my 03 ill post pics in a few days when i get home from afghanistan and ill do a write up on the first gen installs

4. Apr 3, 2011 at 2:32 PM
    beatle

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Springfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4l SR5 TRD
    I took the dash back off and adjusted the screws. The headunit now opens, but it's still a struggle to hit the button in the top left (Alpine 9887). I had to file down a couple nubs on the pocket so that the headunit could be angled down just a fraction of an inch. The fit is still substandard with a gap around the edges. The trim ring will not fit in this case as the gap is not quite that large. I'm curious to see how other aftermarket decks look.

5. Apr 3, 2011 at 6:09 PM

52419 Well-Known Member

Member:
    someplace
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma lifted 6in on 35s
    fabtech 6in lift, 35.12.50.16s,on mt classics
    i should be home in a few days and i will post my pictures of mine when im done, i am almost 100% sure you need a dash kit they are cheap as hell so go get one

6. Apr 3, 2011 at 6:56 PM
    beatle

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Springfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4l SR5 TRD
    Actually I went to Best Buy today to pick up a kit but they told me they don't even carry them. They just reuse the factory bracket and "make it fit." :rolleyes: At least my labor is free! If I'd paid someone to do this, I'd be pretty peeved. I'm still considering ordering a "universal" Metra kit.

Hopefully the dash is the same in the 03 so the comparison is valid.

Products Discussed in

To Top