1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Head Unit or Speakers First?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TacomaGus, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Dec 26, 2009 at 10:27 AM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    I just dont have the money to do all at once but i'm just wondering from your experiences which would be better to do first? I am looking at Alpine 5x7 speakers in the front and back of my extended cab 04 taco. Which i figured would be a lot better than stock but then i see guys saying on here just installing a new HU will benefit your stock speakers a lot so i'm just confused with what to do first

2. Dec 26, 2009 at 10:33 AM
    militaco

militaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab, '99 Regular Cab
    Depends.......did you slam your speakers or baby them....if you babied them and they are still good, then you will notice a bigger difference repalcing the HU first.....imo.

3. Dec 26, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    Head unit first. My stock speakers sound louder with my new head unit. I pit a sub woofer in for more base though.

4. Dec 26, 2009 at 10:41 AM
    ilg

ilg VanCity Taco.

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD O/R 4x4 6-Spd
    WeatherTechs, Yellow Fogs, Alpine X-100 iPod Stereo, Custom Seat Covers, Debadged, Locking Bed Compartments, Black Front Toyota Emblem, AVS Vent Visors, Colour Matched Grill, TRD Shift Knob, Eagle Alloy 187s in 16x8 wrapped in 265/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Black Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Black Rear Bumper, 8 in shorty antenna, 5100s @ 2.5.
    What he said ^^^

You will get so much more out a new head unit sending out clean signal to the stock speakers, than having good speakers with a crap signal running to them.

5. Dec 26, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    I've been looking at HU"s too. My question is, Does the Stock HU handle the crossover of the front door speakers, And tweeters, Or are they wired with an inline crossover? Thanks.

6. Dec 26, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I upgraded my HU and kept the stock speakers.

Made a big difference in volume and sound quality.

I'm sure upgraded speakers would make a difference too, but if you have to choose 1, I say go with the new HU first.

7. Dec 26, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    Rucas

Rucas 1st gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4
    Custom Aluminum Camper
    i just did the head unit, and it already made a BIG difference.
    Im doing the speakers now and the front ones already make it sound amazing.

I say the HU first.

8. Dec 26, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    Rucas

Rucas 1st gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4
    Custom Aluminum Camper
    its also crazy how the old speakers are so light weight and weak, and new ones you put in are most likley a lot better

9. Dec 26, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    HazAnga

HazAnga Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Don't have one yet
    man upgrade the HU first, you can upgrade the speakers anytime, i deffinatly suggest upgrading the HU first, speaking out of experence myself. There is lots of time to replace the factory speakers at a later date.
    I'd suggest a nice new kenwood excelon deck with 3 pairs of pre outs, front/rear/sub. And when you go to replace your speakers save and git a decent 4 channel amp, your sound quality with multiply!
    I just personally upgraded from HU with internal amp and x-over to a 4 channel amp, and i heard the difference right away.

But that's just my opinion.
    =)

10. Dec 26, 2009 at 7:46 PM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    thanks guys its been the general consensus that upgrading a head unit will give the stock speakers a decent boost, and i don't blast my music constantly but i don't baby them either so their in between but i've been looking at Alpine head units. But another quick question, do i have to replace my current HU with a double din one? I have an 04 so its still first gen

11. Dec 29, 2009 at 9:40 AM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    I got a Kenwood HU put in yesterday and i really like it. I don't have an Ipod so its nothing fancy i just needed an AUX input so i could use my MP3 player. I was going to go with the Alpine one but i figured it wasn't worth the extra 50 dollars just so it could be Ipod compatible when i don't even have one. But when i do the speaker upgrade, i will most likely go with Alpine speakers

12. Dec 29, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    NeoMoose

NeoMoose Possibly Batman

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner DC TRD O.R.
    Kenwood eXcelon X993, Kenwood KFC-1693PS (Front), Kenwood KFC-G1620 (Rear), Luverne Black Nerf Bars, OEM Brush Guard, AFE Pro Dry S Drop-In, Some kickass wheel locks, Removed front mud flaps, All windows tinted, Anti-theft tailgate mod
    You made the right decision. How is the sound quality difference?

13. Dec 29, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
  14. Dec 30, 2009 at 8:30 PM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    sound quality def, improved the bass is pretty impressive with just stock speakers, can't wait to see what it sounds like with some Alpines or Pioneers

15. Dec 31, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    HazAnga

HazAnga Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Don't have one yet
    Alpines would be key, and you should deffinatly think about a 4 channel amp, even just a 50Wx4 RMS would work fine, it improves everything just that much more, trust me lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top