1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Header Poll: Short or Long Tube... Lets put it to a vote

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Dakota 08, Jun 1, 2011.

?

Headers: Short or Long Tube??

Poll closed Jul 31, 2011.
  1. Short Tube

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. Long Tube

35 vote(s)
    76.1%
  1. Jun 3, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Toytec ULK, OME Dakar leafs, LED conversion, RBP sidesteps, Nitto Trail Grapplers, AR ATX Artillery 16" wheels, Doug Thorley LTH/Pipe Bomb, TRD Exhaust W/Classic Chambered Powerstick, Lightend Flywheel
    Dakota did you ever get my PM the other day?

2. Jun 3, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    My68ur8trd

My68ur8trd Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Dcab 4x4
    URD Catback | TRD CAI | TRD S/C | APR X-1 | DTLT | APR 2.85" Pulley |Fabtech 6" | Icon C/O | Alcan Leafs | 33 Grabber AT2 | 17" XD Addicts
    the cats have more impact on the low end (back pressure) than the headers themselves.

On a boosted truck, I would run the LTs to help it breath WOT.

Personally, I dont think the shorties are worth the cash/gain since the restrictive cats are still there and are not long enough for any scavenging improvement.

I originally ran the DTLT on my X-runner since my tune with the URD MKII S/C was too hot and would melt the cats, plus the goal was 400+ rwhp ;)

I run the DTLT on the Dcab with the TRD S/C and it breathes alot better. You will loose a little low end, but you dont notice it with the S/C and you really notice the top end gain. I think they are a tad much for an N/A truck.

Personally, an intake, catback, and rear cat delete and some small calibrator ( MAF cal for example from URD) is the best setup for an N/A truck. Save your money on the headers.

Again, just my opinion, take it as you wish :)

Justin

Justin

3. Jun 3, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    Dakota 08

Dakota 08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab
    Interesting! Help me out on some terminology (I'm a newbie to the exhaust thing). What does "S/C", "N/A", "WOT" and "MAF" stand for?

4. Jun 3, 2011 at 8:52 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Modern cats aren't very restrictive.

5. Jun 3, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    Texoma

Texoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Poweraid TB spacer, a bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA 2035s headers and dey are perty, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, LR UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, 5 factory 16" steels wit Pep Boys special Dakota Definity MT's in 285/75/16, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more but it's alre
    I went with Jba shorties because I didn't like the idea of having an o2 sensor faker thing. I noticed that the truck breathes a ton better now and the guy I had weld did an amazing job. The stock exhaust headers suck. They go from an oval shaped 2 1/4" piping to an almost 1 1/2" pipe going into the cat. That is some serious restriction. Now with the new stuff, it's all 2 1/4" pipe. I was going to do a before and after dyno on the truck, but I watched some utube vids of some dynos go seriously wrong. If ya got the money, do the shorts. If not the DT's will be ok with the o2 sensor tricker.

6. Jun 4, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    mjohn617

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Toytec ULK, OME Dakar leafs, LED conversion, RBP sidesteps, Nitto Trail Grapplers, AR ATX Artillery 16" wheels, Doug Thorley LTH/Pipe Bomb, TRD Exhaust W/Classic Chambered Powerstick, Lightend Flywheel

Supercharged, Naturally asperated, Wide Open Throttle, Mass Air Flow(sensor type)

7. Jun 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    brent grob

brent grob New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4
    blacked out headlights and led taillights ,DVD and full sound system and bush wacker fender flairs
    I went DT short headers and felt the power upgrade but it was pricey to have welded on. If you want to keep your truck smog legal in CA then i think the truck wont pass smog without the 2 cats connected to the old headers. I was lucky enough to find a shop to weld on my old cats to the new headers and so far no check engine light yet. Most shops will not put old cats back on because the shop can be fined $200,000 and be closed down for 30 days. But now all said and done Im happy with the headers and glad i wont have smog issues down the road

8. Jun 4, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    mjohn617

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Your truck will NOT be smog legal with short tube headers, just a heads up. The first step in your inspection is a visual. Any modifications to your exhaust system is an automatic failure, you are now up to the inspectors grey area. He/she has the choice to overlook minor modifications or fail you. This is ANOTHER reason to go with LT headers as you can just do a direct replacement at inspections time.

9. Jun 4, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    My68ur8trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Dcab 4x4
    URD Catback | TRD CAI | TRD S/C | APR X-1 | DTLT | APR 2.85" Pulley |Fabtech 6" | Icon C/O | Alcan Leafs | 33 Grabber AT2 | 17" XD Addicts
    you are right, but for a high boost application, you need all the flow you can get, and with my previous setup, they wouldnt hold up. ( they are prone to clog and come apart)

I have had both sets of headers, and and my preference ( cash vs gain) goes to the long tubes, and I really dont think either setup is worth it on a N/A truck.

but to each their own.

These trucks like a little back pressure.

If you want to read a little about 4.0L performance, browse over on XRU. Those guys have thrown everything at those trucks with power in mind. There are alot of dyno comparisons.

Justin

10. Jun 4, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    mjohn617

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    I don't think OP is planning on FI...I still vote LT

What about cutting the secondary cats out and putting them in the pipe bomb?

11. Jun 4, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    the only reason i have shorty headers is because its CA emissions legal..other than that,i would have got the long tubes

12. Jun 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    My68ur8trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Dcab 4x4

I didnt think he was, If my truck was N/A I would have saved the cash on the headers, put a nice intake, y-pipe, and catback on it and call it a day :)

When I first had my X, before I really dove into it. I have stock manifolds, y pipe with no Cats, and URD catback. It had a nice little gain.

i would just take the secondary cats out all together, they are not monitored and will have no impact. Unless you are in CA of course.

Most other states, as long as you have two of them, it will breeze through inspections etc..

Justin

13. Jun 15, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    NYCO

NYCO ┌∩┐‹(ಠ_ಠ)›┌∩┐

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    option for the shorty route for most gains would be shorty headers keeping front cats in and swap out the rear cats for a Pipe-bomb Y-pipe then finish with a cat-back less restrictive exhaust

i like my long tubes but i do wonder whether the shorties really do have low end gains which is where most of the tacos run (except for those x-runners and S/C'd)

To Top