1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heading up to Colorado in August

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by TerranAce007, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Jun 6, 2016 at 8:35 PM
    TerranAce007

TerranAce007 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 DCSB 6spd
    I have a month of vacation coming up, so I will heading from Austin, TX up to Colorado for about three weeks starting August 7th. My plan is to start at Great Sand Dunes National Park and then spend a few nights in each of the 7 areas outlined in the Charles A Wells backroads guide book, doing a combination of some light wheeling, camping, and hiking. I'm still finalizing my plan, but a friend of mine here in Austin was recently up in Colorado on his way to Moab and said he met some good people in this group. It'll just be me and the dog, but I'm open to meet up with people.

Here are the trails I'm looking at. My goal is to keep it to medium trails. I have a well-built rig but want to avoid the more extreme areas. I'll spend 3-4 nights in each area in the RTT. If anyone has any advice on these or suggestions on other trails, places to avoid due to crowds/traffic, etc, I'd appreciate any info.

Area 7
    Medano Pass
    Hermit Pass
    Hayden Pass

Area 6
    Shelf Road
    Rule Ridge
    Phantom Creek
    Rainbow Falls (Book says this is a great weekend trip so might stay 2 nights)

Area 5
    Cascade Creek
    Saxon Mountain
    Peru Creek
    Saint John's Creek
    Deer Creek
    Swan River (North Fork)
    Georgia Pass

Area 4
    McAllister Gulch
    No Name Road
    Wurst Ditch
    Slide Lake Trail
    Lost Canyon Trail

Area 2
    Lincoln Creek Road (2 nights)

Area 3
    Mount Princeton
    Browns Lake
    Baldwin Lakes
    Tincup Pass

Area 1
    Engineer Pass
    Picayune Gulch
    Kite Lake
    Corkscrew Gulch
    Red Mountain
    Ophir Pass
    Imogene Pass
    Yankee Boy Basin
    Last Dollar Trail

2. Jun 7, 2016 at 10:09 AM
    CO MTN Steve

CO MTN Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Lifted, Armored, needs more lights.
    I am not familiar with that book.

Your Area 1 (Alpine loop with some Telluride/ Silverton Regions) is probably more than 3 days. Tons to see and do down there.

For sure head from Gunnison (Area 3) to Lake City to take the Alpine loop to Ouray/ Silverton/ Telluride (Area 1)

Oh post up here when your close, it's our trip/ event thread:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/upcoming-colorado-events.187907/page-634

3. Jun 7, 2016 at 12:21 PM
    TerranAce007

TerranAce007 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 DCSB 6spd
    What about good camping areas in the Ouray-Silverton-Telluride area? I'm doing area1 last and leaving my return home date open-ended because I'll have a whole extra week if I want to stay longer.

4. Jun 7, 2016 at 12:32 PM
    CO MTN Steve

CO MTN Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Lifted, Armored, needs more lights.
  5. Jul 11, 2016 at 7:47 PM
    Mclovin80

Mclovin80 Not Well-Known

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2021 LR TRD Pro
    Watch out in area 7 on your list. There is a fire near Hayden Pass that has burned about 10k acres so far. Hopefully it burns out by then.

6. Jul 24, 2016 at 10:07 AM
    D13

D13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Moving all the time
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD-OR
    Tinted windows, Plasti-dipped emblems (black), white 2011 grill w plasti derped white toyota emblem, Weathertech dontfits; Clarion HU, Hertz-165 Coax, Alpine 500w mono to 8" JL 3w3, Wet Okeles, CBI sliders, Eibach/5100's @0.85 in front, Dakar leaves and OME shocks in rear, Leer topper.
    The book he's referring to is the Funtreks guide book. There is also a Northern colorado version.

Suggestions on the Tin cup area. I've done it a few times and I do absolutely recommend this (or something similar) as a route from Buena Vista to Crested Butte/Gunnison (my favorite area in the state).

Lots of side by sides and people on tin cup, best places i've seen to camp are near tree line.
    You could consider doing Hancock pass & the alpine tunnel. Slightly more challenging in spots than tin cup, still nothing too crazy but certainly exhilarating. you end up getting to gunnison this way too.

Haven't done medano pass but that seems like an awesome way to visit the sand dunes!!
    You might also want to reconsider some of the green routes... these can be just very boring dirt roads. Sounds like one hell of a trip!!

Products Discussed in

To Top