1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight Recommendations

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by druU, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Dec 16, 2022 at 9:50 PM
    druU

druU [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    druU
    29 Palms
  2. Dec 16, 2022 at 10:39 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    druU[OP] and goonsquad08 like this.
  3. Dec 17, 2022 at 11:10 AM
    druU

druU [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    druU
    29 Palms
    crashnburn80[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Dec 17, 2022 at 2:46 PM
    thegrandpoohbah

thegrandpoohbah Well-Known Member

Member:
    Terrace, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport
    druU[OP] and crashnburn80 like this.
  5. Dec 23, 2022 at 8:58 AM
    Primo 95

Primo 95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo!
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4X4
    265/75/16 S/T Maxx 16X8.5 Level 8 Trackers 5100 1.75 HID, LED interior, 3" N-Fab step bars
    I have a 2012, I just got these for black friday. My OEM headlights were getting frosted, and had haze on the inside and made the truck look old. I had run HID bulbs in them almost the entire 10 years and was happy and they were much better than stock and I had them aimed properly and nobody ever flashed (When i first installed them before I adjusted them, yes everyone flashed me). But HID are slowly being phased out, Slim was no longer stocking them and would not honor their lifetime guarantee on the bulbs...so i knew it was time for a switch. I got mine for I think $750....and I was expecting perfection for that price and they are not. The low beam pattern is better and brighter than stock, but not is not great, very underwhelming for that price. The brights are awesome. Physically, they look great, made my 2012 look almost brand new again, and the DRL are neat (and actually too bright)....but they look cool and I get compliments.
    My other car is a C8 Corvette and it has very similar rectangle projectors like the XB, and the output on the Corvette is just insane compared to the XBs. I looked into cheaper options and they might look good, but all have been reviewed as being very poor quality and break one way or another. So the XBs are your only option if you are looking to upgrade your housings, if you just want something brighter with your stock housing then look into HID, or LED (take the time to aim them properly,) or that ultimate upgrade (which I don't consider ultimate, because all those premium halogen bulbs burn out every 6 months, and I hate swapping out bulbs on the tacoma).
    The install of the XB is less difficult than it looks. It takes a few hours, and you should get a $5 body pry kit. And you will end up breaking several of the plastic body bolt/pins. With a 10 year old truck, they get dry and just crack. I just zip tied what broke, I need to order a set of them.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PV59DGJ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

There are online photo instructions for the xb kit, but this video was more helpful..its not for our 12-15, but the removal,install is the exact same.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4tQ2yXtKrw

If you have the money and your housings are frosted/gone...go for it.
    If you think it will light up the night like a newer car....No.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    druU[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Dec 27, 2022 at 11:37 AM
    druU

druU [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    druU
    29 Palms
    Thanks! I ended up going with the XBs, and they just came in. Can't wait to get em installed.

Primo 95[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Dec 27, 2022 at 1:55 PM
    Primo 95

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo!
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4X4
    265/75/16 S/T Maxx 16X8.5 Level 8 Trackers 5100 1.75 HID, LED interior, 3" N-Fab step bars
    Before you install, be sure you mark where your headlights hit on the wall (either garage wall or door...whichever is flatest and has the most length. I would mark where the 2 hot spots are and and the cutoff line with masking tape...this way you can line up your XB quickly. Mine were pretty close it didn't take much adjustment, but my truck is lifted 1.75 in the front/larger tires.

Do you have the XB fog light replacements? I've had mine for close to 10 years, they are great and will help fill in the dark spots below your XB headlights.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

8. Jan 22, 2023 at 10:13 PM
    druU

druU [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    druU
    29 Palms
    Got em installed and have a couple of questions. Can the DRLs be shut off completely while the engine is running? And I put these LASFIT bulbs in, but the switchback function isn't working properly. The turn signals are only amber. Any ideas on what I did wrong? Thanks in advance.

9. Jan 23, 2023 at 5:25 AM
    Primo 95

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo!
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4X4
    I dont believe there is a way to shut off Toyota DRL (On Chevys, it used to be 1 click of the parking brake disabled DRL). I also read there are some wiring hacks you can do to disable them or put in a switch, but none of them sounded like a solid solution, so I don't think this is a good idea. Its not worth the trouble.

I would stay away from LEDs on on your DRL. I read a lot of people have issues with them flashing, going out, etc. Just stick with your stock incandescent amber bulbs. I think I have only replaced 1 in 10 years of ownership....so they last.

10. Jan 30, 2023 at 1:15 PM
    Primo 95

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo!
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4X4
    Finally got some decent photos. As i said, they look great and makes a 10 year old taco look brand new(along with some CMX ceramic coating)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My truck backed in my driveway. I wasn't happy that the right light hotspot is much smaller than the left. I don't care for the wonky cutoffs either. Take note of the brightness level on the left near the sidewalk and ( dead) landscaping. And this is also with XB LED fog lights on. I was expecting way brighter & more even lighting for $900
    [​IMG]

Now this is in the same spot in my C8 Corvette. Notice no hotspot..just all even bright light. Look how bright the sidewalk/landscape area is to the left in comparison to the XBs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
To Top